Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diagnostics

Yhughes

Yhughes

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello, owned a 2008 Cali 4motion for about two years.

I hope someone can help answermy question: I'm looking for a reputable and reliable mechanic/garage in the Glasgow area - or a bit further- for van diagnostics. My ABS and ESP lights are on.

Initial diagnostics have been ran on it but the fault can't be found as it's not getting readings back so I'm needing different software I imagine. We think it might be a wheel bearing required but can't find where as nothing is reading back to the computers, if that makes sense.

The places I've called locally and now taken it to three garages can't get their computers to read where the fault is, or can't get the van on a ramp due to height of it, so just wondering where I can take it to. Anyone recommend the software or diagnostics needed? And where to look if trying this myself?

thank you.

Yvonne

I hope someone can help answermy question: I'm looking for a reputable and reliable mechanic/garage in the Glasgow area - or a bit further- for van diagnostics. My ABS and ESP lights are on.

Initial diagnostics have been ran on it but the fault can't be found as it's not getting readings back so I'm needing different software I imagine. We think it might be a wheel bearing required but can't find where as nothing is reading back to the computers, if that makes sense.

The places I've called locally and now taken it to three garages can't get their computers to read where the fault is, or can't get the van on a ramp due to height of it, so just wondering where I can take it to. Anyone recommend the software or diagnostics needed? And where to look if trying this myself?

thank you.

Yvonne
Lookers at Baillieston is a VW van centre so you might expect them to have the proper diagnostic stuff and to use it effectively? I take my 2008 4Motion there and have found them generally fine. Maybe worth a shot if you haven't tried them already?
Just of the eastbound M8 at the Baillieston turn off then about 1/4 mile.

thank you.

Yvonne
Yvonne, cannot help with workshops, but if you have a trusted mechanic, just go there and ask them to change the ABS sensor on all wheels. That is a part that usually breaks and fixing that may just get rid of the issue. A small and cheap fix that should sort out the issue for you.

Have you asked on here for someone who owns VCDS and will scan the vehicle for you.

If there isn't a member local to you with YCDS try on the T6 Forum or T4/T5 Forum and ask on there.

Thank you for all your comments. I'll look into them all. Van is still with the garage. I'll keep you posted but all your solutions are sound.

It’s 99.9% certain it’s an ABS wheel sensor. We have a carista and it showed up on there. Is your vehicle still under warranty?

It’s 99.9% certain it’s an ABS wheel sensor. We have a carista and it showed up on there. Is your vehicle still under warranty?
Hi, not under warranty. I got it fixed today. The system showed brake fluid reservoir sensor was faulty. So that got fixed. Then the ABS and ESP lights came back on pretty much immediately and another check showed it was the wheel bearing sensors. Both fixed now. About to drive it to see if the cruise control works now. I'll def look at the Carista as it sounds useful to have.
Thanks everyone. I'm nearly £400plus £150 for my service but better safe than sorry. No Easter eggs for anyone.

Yvonne, sorry I have just seen your post and I’m glad that you have resolved your problem. As others had said, it looked like a simple ABS sensor problem (it’s a device that signals back the speed of the wheel rotation). If you need codes read or additional help I have VCDS diagnostics. I’m out in Drymen, so not a million miles away.

Hi, not under warranty. I got it fixed today. The system showed brake fluid reservoir sensor was faulty. So that got fixed. Then the ABS and ESP lights came back on pretty much immediately and another check showed it was the wheel bearing sensors. Both fixed now. About to drive it to see if the cruise control works now. I'll def look at the Carista as it sounds useful to have.
Thanks everyone. I'm nearly £400plus £150 for my service but better safe than sorry. No Easter eggs for anyone.
If you are looking to buy a carista just make sure it’s compatible with the Grand California. There are loads of other good OBD2 readers on the market if the carista isn’t any good for you. I use the Car Scanner app which i find is better than the Carista app and it doesn’t cost a fortune to download it.

If you are looking to buy a carista just make sure it’s compatible with the Grand California. There are loads of other good OBD2 readers on the market if the carista isn’t any good for you. I use the Car Scanner app which i find is better than the Carista app and it doesn’t cost a fortune to download it.
Brilliant thanks for sharing that info with me

Yvonne, sorry I have just seen your post and I’m glad that you have resolved your problem. As others had said, it looked like a simple ABS sensor problem (it’s a device that signals back the speed of the wheel rotation). If you need codes read or additional help I have VCDS diagnostics. I’m out in Drymen, so not a million miles away.
Good to know...I got it all sorted and gave since had a trip away with no issues. She's running really well. From this I've got a new mechanic and you guys have been super informative. If any lights come back on I'll give you a holler

Back