Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Did a cali owner here have a bad stay at a Caravan Club Site?

I believe that he's known as Mike Frost on here.

Umm - must say we’ve found the sites to be rather stuck in days gone by - we had hoped for better - we’re now more avoiding the cc sites rather than seeking them out - the result is we are finding much better facilities elsewhere - certainly won’t be renewing the subscription (that’s a bit archaic in itself) thanks for your thoughts they do confirm ours - all the best Tim

We tend to use the CS or CL’s as they were in olden days! Much quieter and usually for us in or on farms. Very basic but that’s what we are happy with

Well, I have never had an axe to grind about being on a club site .....

I THOUGHT I knew the rules, was happy to comply, I was after all buying a consistent product with all the conditions clearly stated ....

Until yesterday :sad

So, now keeping quiet until I get an answer from club HQ but really, the very first time a Warden has got completely, totally, right up my nose! Even if he was completely right, which I doubt, there are more pleasant ways of saying "you are not complying with one of the club site conditions, can you please make a simple change"..... As opposed to banging on my door and when I opened it being greeted with "excuse me! Club rules are there to be read, clearly posted and if you can't keep to them you may want to find somewhere else to park up".

My very first truly bad experience in over 40 years off and on using club sites. Until now I would have thought the response quoted by the OP was out of order, now I am not so sure.

Well, I have never had an axe to grind about being on a club site .....

I THOUGHT I knew the rules, was happy to comply, I was after all buying a consistent product with all the conditions clearly stated ....

Until yesterday :sad

So, now keeping quiet until I get an answer from club HQ but really, the very first time a Warden has got completely, totally, right up my nose! Even if he was completely right, which I doubt, there are more pleasant ways of saying "you are not complying with one of the club site conditions, can you please make a simple change"..... As opposed to banging on my door and when I opened it being greeted with "excuse me! Club rules are there to be read, clearly posted and if you can't keep to them you may want to find somewhere else to park up".

My very first truly bad experience in over 40 years off and on using club sites. Until now I would have thought the response quoted by the OP was out of order, now I am not so sure.
You Rebel :Nailbiting
Like you said , even if you were in the wrong, which is at worst, accidental, what an awful way of dealing with it. The club really should be very bothered that they are being represented in this way

I think he fancies you.:talktothehand

If that is the case then the club needs to review it's advice for "mating approaches of the lesser-spotted amorous warden". A kick in the nuts is the likely outcome of such an approach :shocked

You Rebel :Nailbiting
Like you said , even if you were in the wrong, which is at worst, accidental, what an awful way of dealing with it. The club really should be very bothered that they are being represented in this way

I'm just putting it down to a bad day for the warden, we all have them.

We are the worst for remembering the membership card, we must be any admin’s worst nightmare, have the number, the email confirmation etc, but always seem to leave the card in a “safe place”. The absolutely lovely people at the Hereford/Ledbury site couldn’t have been morehelpful, friendly or accommodating or the SL sites we have stayed at since getting Gracie

[
We are the worst for remembering the membership card, we must be any admin’s worst nightmare, have the number, the email confirmation etc, but always seem to leave the card in a “safe place”. The absolutely lovely people at the Hereford/Ledbury site couldn’t have been morehelpful, friendly or accommodating or the SL sites we have stayed at since getting Gracie

I have rarely experienced a warden who has not been prepared to go the extra mile to be helpful.

I am now on my third CC site in in four days and apart from the mentioned incident have had nothing but cheerful helpfulness.

Numpty here not caravan club, but are members of camping and caravan club! I blame the OH dragging me round endless cycling routes for the last 8 days and after one lightweight beer my brain has just gone into “who’s doing the cooking tonight?” mode!

Lights still on after 9pm?

Guessing you parked the wrong way round because the door is on the offside .... ?

Well guessed.

Not so much that I parked the "wrong way", that is allowed to avoid infringing the privacy of the neighbour by having two doors facing. His problem was that the caravan next to me also had the door on the wrong side, so by me parking up the wrong way round I ended up with my door, and the door of the neighbouring caravan, facing. Clearly stupidity on my part and if I had only done the simple thing then all would be well.

Of course if he had taken a moment to breathe he might have noticed that the camper van and the neighbouring caravan had identical registration plates.

Last edited:
Might be worth keeping it n the van as you'll only really need it when you are with the van ?

Should have put them both on the same pitch, caravan + tow car innit? but if you are going to do this please, please video the warder when he finds out you are using both units. We all know that a vw california is far more combustable than either a car or an awning & thats the reason its not allowed.

I got caught like that years back on their Brighton site, was shouted at for parking nose out in a motorhome with an offside habitation door, because that faced into the opening door of the adjacent caravan.

I was cool, calm & polite & as we didn't have an awning up promised to park round the other way after we had been out for the day.
We got back to the site that evening & had much delight in informing the warden that as the caravans, now with awnings put up, on both sides of our pitch had their doors facing our pitch the only way we were going to be able to pitch correctly was if he persuaded no less than 5 other outfits to turn round. He was strangely reluctant to do that but I insisted that the rules are the rules and must be adhered to. We ended up coming to a compromise - he let us park our 7.5m long van across the pitch.

I have previously made comments about the warders, but must say we have probably stayed on 10 sites a year for the past ten years & had trouble with 3 wardens over that time. the other 97% we have found to be extremely helpful & friendly.

Over that time we have also noticed, in line with the name change, that motorhomes and camper vans have become a lot more accepted. Driving a large motorhome with a drivers side habitation door ten years ago was seen as pushing the boundaries of acceptability in the caravan club!

Should have put them both on the same pitch, caravan + tow car innit? !

Yes, I thought of that but I would have been shot at dawn for sleeping in the tow vehicle, definitely prohibited and certainly something that would have been noticed by a curtain twitcher somewhere.

I cannot even make two reservations on the same card despite my Sister being a named family member. In the end I have had to take out separate membership for my Sister. I do not begrudge the £51, it just seems slightly ironic that I pay for two pitched, one for the caravan and one for the towing vehicle, but on top also an additional membership fee.

Oh well, trivial really, just having a grumble day :D

Well guessed.

Not so much that I parked the "wrong way", that is allowed to avoid infringing the privacy of the neighbour by having two doors facing. His problem was that the caravan next to me also had the door on the wrong side, so by me parking up the wrong way round I ended up with my door, and the door of the neighbouring caravan, facing. Clearly stupidity on my part and if I had only done the simple thing then all would be well.

Of course if he had taken a moment to breathe he might have noticed that the camper van and the neighbouring caravan had identical registration plates.
Did you point it out to him or take a photo? Worth a letter to Head Office or The Magazine.

Did you point it out to him or take a photo? Worth a letter to Head Office or The Magazine.

It was me pointing it out to him that gave him the grumps :D

I have emailed Grimstead Towers together with photo and asked for clarification, that in the event of two family members occupying adjoining pitches that as long as both have a corner adjacent to the peg it does not matter whether it is rear offside or front nearside.

As with "Beaches" not having a kitchen and therefore being tossed off some sites prior to a clear letter of clarification being obtained from membership services, a clarification in this case will save a lot of hassle.

I do appear to be an oddity. We turned up today just down the road from you, the other side of Cardiff, and the poor lady was mesmerised by the sight of two bookings appearing on her screen with identical vehicle registration plates. "Which one is which?" she asked, with me pointing to Frieda hitched up to Alfie and saying "take your pick" :D

I cannot even make two reservations on the same card despite my Sister being a named family member.

Should have got her to book on line as a none-member booking & changed it to a member booking upon arrival on site when she showed her card.

Should have got her to book on line as a none-member booking & changed it to a member booking upon arrival on site when she showed her card.

To be honest after a month of email ping-pong with membership services, then trying to get sense from their IT department after they couldn't persuade their computer to differentiate from the "named family member" and the new member I had lost the will to live.

I am getting a little bit jaundiced of late though. If I did not use the M6 toll twice every six weeks at least I would consider my membership to be one bit of dross that I could do without.

Back