Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel fumes on starting

powysjune

powysjune

VIP Member
When starting our Cali we get a lot of diesel fumes in the cab, also some when the vehicle is stationary during driving but it's fine when actually moving. It's an early model - 2005 Comfortline/SE - so is it something we just have to put up with, or is there anything that could be done? Grateful for any advice.

When starting our Cali we get a lot of diesel fumes in the cab, also some when the vehicle is stationary during driving but it's fine when actually moving. It's an early model - 2005 Comfortline/SE - so is it something we just have to put up with, or is there anything that could be done? Grateful for any advice.
Not normal. Which engine?

Is it at all time (summer ) , or only when the outside themp. is below 5 celcius?

Is it at all time (summer ) , or only when the outside themp. is below 5 celcius?
It's all the time, summer too. Been happening ever since we bought the vehicle nearly 3 years ago, but I think it is getting worse.

Thanks, I'll search that. The local garage did check the exhaust a while back and said it was ok but there might be more info in that link.
From my reading it is more likely the Engine Manifold or Turbo gasket.

Exhaust manifold on mine was cracked we had similar problems, manifold replaced in 2013 at a cost of £1122 including a full sevice

Cracked exhaust manifold is a common fault on that engine.

I've had this a few times this winter. I wondered if it was because it's cold and I've not let the glow plugs heat up enough first?

Mind is the 140 ps only serviced 3 months ago with a few hundred miles since.

I've had this a few times this winter. I wondered if it was because it's cold and I've not let the glow plugs heat up enough first?

Mind is the 140 ps only serviced 3 months ago with a few hundred miles since.
Different engine.

Was it very cold, below 5c. Could be the Webasto Coolant Heater kicking in.

Different engine.

Was it very cold, below 5c. Could be the Webasto Coolant Heater kicking in.

It was cold yes, I also popped the bonnet and noticed a small amount of diesel smoke. It cleared quickly though and the diesel smell disappeared, she's been fine since.

Funny you say that though as I used to have a Range Rover Vouge and when it was really cold she would inject some fuel into the heater. The result was masses of smoke lol first time it happened I thought I was on fire!

Check your injectors aren’t leaking! Hope you get it sorted

Thanks for the advice on here. Yes it was a cracked exhaust manifold, but less expensive to repair than it could have been. Our excellent local garage researched the issue and found that although the official VW replacement costs over £500 because the exhaust manifold is combined with the turbo, you can buy an exhaust manifold for a T5 (without the turbo) for £120 and those in the trade reckon it is better quality. So the garage fitted that (it took a fair bit of work) and all seems fine.

Thanks for the advice on here. Yes it was a cracked exhaust manifold, but less expensive to repair than it could have been. Our excellent local garage researched the issue and found that although the official VW replacement costs over £500 because the exhaust manifold is combined with the turbo, you can buy an exhaust manifold for a T5 (without the turbo) for £120 and those in the trade reckon it is better quality. So the garage fitted that (it took a fair bit of work) and all seems fine.
When i had mine replaced i was shown old part, but don't remember a turbo being part of it?

When i had mine replaced i was shown old part, but don't remember a turbo being part of it?
Turbo bolts onto the manifold & yours would have been refitted to the new manifold.

Back