Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel in water tank

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
A friend has borrowed my van and mistakenly put diesel in the water tank. A disaster but I am looking for helpful suggestions as to the actions I can take to remedy this, any help appreciated.

This has been discussed before I think and I am sure they ended up buying a new fresh water tank.

My son did this a few years ago.
I swilled it a half dozen times with warm soapy water.
Then half filled it a few times and drove round for a day or two each time.
Tested it taste wise and it seemed ok.
He put about four litres of oil in before he realised the mistake.
We're still alive and have working taste buds.

There's a solution that's good for fixing this mistake and I seem to remember a thread on here a couple of years ago.

I am not against buying a new tank but removing the old one and fitting a new one seems to be a major task, well above my level of competence.

I should have said the link in the thread suggested by Jen has changed a little bit. Useful article though, these things can get buried in time. Hopefully this will help some other poor soul.The item concerned is about halfway down the link

HAVE YOU FILLED YOUR WATER TANK WITH DIESEL? Fear Not for our BioMagic Fresh Water Tank cleaner will solve your problem!BioMagic Fresh Water Tank Cleaner, Will Treat up to 150-litres twice! This amazing product will remove the taste and smell of diesel from your fresh water tank if it has been contaminated with fuel. As long as you follow the instructions below and on the bottle your tank will be as good and as fresh as new after the treatment. As far as we know, we are the only company in the UK that makes and supplies it. The alternative is to strip out the tank and all pipes that have been contaminated and replace them? Please print the instructions out below so that you know what else to buy then you could be starting the treatment with these while waiting for Royal Mail to deliver it by First Class Mail.

Bearing in mind the Cali fresh water tank is 30 litres there should be enough for a few misshaps!

Hope it works for you Tom, good luck.

Perhaps a label stuck on the " fuel flap" would remind you the location of the filler
and a " fresh water " next to filler
Another way is to spray the water cap white in fact I think you can buy a white cap
sounds simple but does work how many of you have put petrol in your deasil tank I've don't it two times
One time diesel was black handle nozzle and green was Unleaded

Sorry if this sounds childish but we all do these silly things and make extra work for ourselves

Perhaps a label stuck on the " fuel flap" would remind you the location of the filler
and a " fresh water " next to filler
Another way is to spray the water cap white in fact I think you can buy a white cap
sounds simple but does work how many of you have put petrol in your deasil tank I've don't it two times
One time diesel was black handle nozzle and green was Unleaded

Sorry if this sounds childish but we all do these silly things and make extra work for ourselves

I think the best plan is not to let others use it in future and IF I do then lock the water filler :) I have taken the first steps, rinsing with a meths/Fairy liquid warm water mix and it is indeed much better, I then flushed it through for a good 1/2 hour pending receipt of the magic potion which I will leave in for a week at least. The plan is then to rinse again and sterilise it with Miltons or similar. We do not use it for drinking/whisky anyway preferring bottled water but it should be fine then. The odour has all but gone already.
Tom

I agree but it is confusing having a filler cap on the same side as an unmarked fuel filler cap hidden behind a flap even after there is a blue painted picture of a " Water tap " but I guess to the educated jumping out with a big bunch of keys that fit anything one will try all the keys
I asked my wife to fill up with fuel today and she was trying to undo the water cap so it is very confusing
My belt braces cure
1. purchased a white cap that has the word water embossed in the cap
2. Removed the key and put it in the glove box That way you are only temped to use when you want to fill up with water

A friend has borrowed my van and mistakenly put diesel in the water tank. A disaster but I am looking for helpful suggestions as to the actions I can take to remedy this, any help appreciated.
Get a new water tank!

We also keep the water key seperate from the Diesel key I pay for the water the wife for the diesel !

We had the same problem. My wife could still detect diesel on 'blind tasting' after repeated attempts to wash the tank out with everything we could think of. Eventually emptied 1L LIDL Vodka into the tank and topped up with water as recommended (apparently) by Baltic fishermen. She doesn't seem to worry about it anymore....

It is easy to avoid this Don’t leave your water key on the same key ring. Label water key and store in glove box that way you are never tempted when you refuel :cheers

It is easy to avoid this Don’t leave your water key on the same key ring. Label water key and store in glove box that way you are never tempted when you refuel :cheers
If the Fuel and Water Tanks were next to each other and both had to be opened with a key I could understand this happening, but the 2 fillers are at opposite ends of the vehicle, one has to be opened with a key and the other by opening the passenger door. One has a Blue sign of a tap over it and one has a Diesel Label.
What is there to confuse?:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:Iamsorry

There is no problem with regular users, it is infrequent users and even pump attendants in foreign climes but I agree with your sentiments.

There is no problem with regular users, it is infrequent users and even pump attendants in foreign climes but I agree with your sentiments.
That's not a problem with the vehicle but the Person using the Filler Nozzle, something to do with Shoe Size.;)

In Tunisia I stopped for fuel & hopefully water. Instructed the attendant to fill the fuel tank only, went off with my water carrier looking for water, having taken the Cali water cap off.

Came back with water, noticed way over 100 litres of fuel registered on the pump, it took a split second from thinking I had been overcharged, to realisation that he thought it was an XJ12 with 2 fuel caps..!

In future make sure that you keep the water cap key when you lend it out.

Good to know that there is solution other than tank replacement.

TSi owners will have to be aware of Diesel in the fuel tank issue as well or has that been done already?

Hi WG I totally agree why would anyone get confused to unlock a cap with WATER label in Blue and stick a fuel nozzle in it must confess my T6 has no label on fuel flap outside and could raise confusion
But it happens in my case , any temptation is avoided
Mind you I have had people pull the choke out and hang there handbag on it and try and top up the engine oil though the dip stick hole
anyway don't bang your head it only hurts :agreed