Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel Smell (Not from heater)

Grumpy Mike

Grumpy Mike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Back again for advice. I know Ive seen something on this but can't find it. Sorry.

My Cali has a very very regular strong smell of diesel, inside and outside. Its definitely not the heater. Any ideas and remedies.

Many thanks

Sorry, its when I start her and for the first 5 or so mins in cab.

Back again for advice. I know Ive seen something on this but can't find it. Sorry.

My Cali has a very very regular strong smell of diesel, inside and outside. Its definitely not the heater. Any ideas and remedies.

Many thanks
The early T6's did have problems with the EGR flexible corrugated pipe splitting. VW have a new replacement part. Look for soot marks around the EGR corrugated pipe.

I had the head gasket go on my first cali t5 thst really stunk of fumes in cab

If it’s just for a few minutes I’m wondering if the diesel heater that warms the engine when it gets below 5 degrees is coming on when it shouldn’t. Otherwise it may be a cracked exhaust.

It will likely be the corrugated pipe as mentioned by welshgas. It is a know issue, there are a couple of videos showing how to replace it if out of warranty.

Hello. Is it a T5 2.5tdi by any Chance ?
I’ve just started having a similar diesel smell with my T5 2.5tdi - Rob do you know what’s causing it?? It’s in for a service next week and I was going to get them to investigat, I thought maybe a manifold leak/crack but if you can help with some advice that would be much appreciated.

Hi. The early models had problems with manifolds cracking. Mine is a 2.5tdi BPC (2007) engine code and they have a graphite seal between the manifold and the turbo. To replace this gasket you need to remove the turbo.

In my 2007 2.5tdi we have had increasing fumes in the cab on startup. It went away after a few minutes but apart from the smell would not have done us any good. It turned out to be a leak at the exhaust manifold and a leaking cylinder head gasket. Both were fixed (including skimming the head) and no more problem. I hope that helps.

Hi. The early models had problems with manifolds cracking. Mine is a 2.5tdi BPC (2007) engine code and they have a graphite seal between the manifold and the turbo. To replace this gasket you need to remove the turbo.
Thanks Rob (and Jubilado), I‘ll get it checked when it’s serviced on Wednesday. I’m guessing neither fix is inexpensive!? Will report back after the service.

Back