Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Differences between a California & a Marco Polo

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Whilst wandering through YouTube I came across this video comparing a California Ocean and a Marco Polo, published on 20 May 2018. I was surprised to learn that the largest bed on the Marco Polo, the roof bed, is 8cms narrower than the downstairs bed on the Ocean. A few other features are better on the Ocean, blinds, table, but they preferred the drive on the Marco Polo.

There have been so many comparisons. Having done many of my own I don't think there is a clear winner other the consumer who at least now has a choice.

Well, almost a choice. Until a 4WD is introduced my choice is limited to one.

Please, can I also ask, let's not have this thread be a repeat of all the others where one or the other get's slagged off.

I'm still waiting for the Horizon to come to these shores so that I can go on the marco -polo forum and read all those "horizon v full-fat" threads :D

I was hoping that direct competition might make VW up their game a bit in the service and backup side of the California. I think they have a lot of the design features done very well and seemed to have learned from their years of building camper vans what works and what doesn't. They do seem to listen to customers needs and react by updating their designs. They are just not so good at communication and service side.

I hadn't heard about the actual differences between the campers and I'm sure the Marco Polo will evolve just like the California has. It will be great if a couple of MP owners attend one of the meets so we can hear their views from actually living in one and to see at first hand the other camper.

Search the threads as Jen notes and learn how MPs are built by Westfalia who designed the layout of the Cali we have today.

I was hoping that direct competition might make VW up their game a bit in the service and backup side of the California. I think they have a lot of the design features done very well and seemed to have learned from their years of building camper vans what works and what doesn't. They do seem to listen to customers needs and react by updating their designs. They are just not so good at communication and service side.

I hadn't heard about the actual differences between the campers and I'm sure the Marco Polo will evolve just like the California has. It will be great if a couple of MP owners attend one of the meets so we can hear their views from actually living in one and to see at first hand the other camper.

Sadly,

All I had hoped about the MP has not materialised.

They cannot produce a RHD 4WD without radical change to the drive layout which immediately excludes them for me.

Their dealer attitude: the big hope it's sold by the car dealers: not materialised. just like VW dealers, most cannot be arsed to put the effort in to sell an "exotic" vehicle.

Apart from personal choices, and to me it does just not feel like a camper, it seems to embody all the network support problems that this forum is full of.

Whilst attending Mercedes Brooklands to have something done on my Smart car I took the hour I had to wait to go over the MP in some depth. Apart from the eye watering price I thought some bits and bobs on it were a lot less robust for the sort of camping we do. Eg the electric input, water filler etc.

I certainly knew more about how it worked than the sales staff and ended up demonstrating it to two families. However I also knew more about the Smart car as well.

The MP was more bling than the Cali but not sure I need bling when in a muddy field!

The Marco Polo looks like a serious attempt to produce a high spec vehicle and hopefully will give VW some competition. I did give it some thought and some of the features are really attractive. The concern with me for the Mercedes is two fold. The terrible corrosion problems that many of the Mercedes Vito vehicles experienced and also unknown resale values. I would hope that they have sorted it, but it is a huge investment in a manafacturer with that track record. Although there are niggles and some roof corrosion issues with some Cali's, they are a known entity in terms of resale. Will definately take another look when I refresh my current van in about 4 years time, but still hoping that the VW will be the better choice.

The answer as to which is best is "when did you last see a Marco polo on the road?" End of story.

The MP is not a new thing , don't know how long it allready exists but over 10y for sure , so no competion .....

The answer as to which is best is "when did you last see a Marco polo on the road?" End of story.

I actually saw 2 today, both 18 plates and I think you will find the MP outsells the California on the continent

I parked next to a MP the other day NL plate only to come out of the farm shop to find they had moved it the other side of the car park Roof corrosion is not contagious is it.

Extract from a post on the MP forum

“I just wish our vans had a fraction of the cred the VW has. Sadly it will never be”

End of. :cheers

Sold my Cali - I almost cried, but have an MP on order for delivery next month. Great video of which I agree to most of the pros/cons, however no mention of price. For us, it came down to the fact the same spec Cali was £10K more than the MP (both at list price) and I just love all the toys!

Our man at Brooklands MB knew the van very well and we had a two hour play before buying - so I think much like the VW van centres, there aren't good dealerships, but good people within them. It is their job :)

Very happy to bring it along to a meet. As long as I wont get lynched!

My heart said Cali but head went MP - let's see what happens over the next couple of years as I'm sure I will be back!

Bring it to York for the midnight ceremony! ;)

Seriously though, it would be great to compare notes :thumb

Sold my Cali - I almost cried, but have an MP on order for delivery next month. Great video of which I agree to most of the pros/cons, however no mention of price. For us, it came down to the fact the same spec Cali was £10K more than the MP (both at list price) and I just love all the toys!

Our man at Brooklands MB knew the van very well and we had a two hour play before buying - so I think much like the VW van centres, there aren't good dealerships, but good people within them. It is their job :)

My heart said Cali but head went MP - let's see what happens over the next couple of years as I'm sure I will be back!

I think there will be other MPs at the September meet in Dorset if you wanted to come along there. It would be very interesting to look over it and hear your views after a few months of living with it. To see what Westfalia & MB design into it and also to watch how it evolves.
I hadn't realised it was that much less than the Cali, they should have mentioned that in the video in the interest of fairness and objectivity.

Direct comparisons between the MP and Cali are about as meaningful as between Beach and Ocean.

So much is down to individual preference. I like the MP but bits of it really put me off, but then I could live with those if it had 4WD, which it doesn't, but o the other hand it drives much nicer, although some owners say the Cali is much sportier, but then I'm buying a camper not a sports car and the upstairs bed in the MP is much more comfortable than the Cali although I sleep downstairs and making those beds up with the electric motor is a PITA, and those chairs in the boot are hideous but then I hardly ever use the chairs so would leave them at home if I had an MP, and the MP is much more luxurious for the driver, which I like, except I want a camper and love all those door bins and centre console storage which makes the VW look more like a van -- which it is but .......

Bottom line chaps and chapesses for between £60 & £70,000 of your hard earned cash your holidaying in a small work size van.

Bottom line chaps and chapesses for between £60 & £70,000 of your hard earned cash your holidaying in a small work size van.

That's just about my needs so why want anything bigger?

It can’t be classed as a work van because
  1. There isn’t a copy of The Sun on the dashboard
  2. There aren’t any empty crisp packets on the floor
  3. It’s not fast enough
  4. There’s no 2 litre bottle of Coke in the door
  5. There’s no diesel spill stains from the filler

;)

I could easily spend that in 5 years flying & staying in hotels for 2 weeks a year.

As it is I've managed 4 brilliant weeks away in the uk so far this year, not had to be treated like cattle at an airport. Slept in my own comfortable bed, taken my bike bbq & everything else I've wanted with me. And most important of all loved every minute of it.

What else could you spend £60k on that would provide so much enjoyment - and due to resale values get most of your money back in a few years.

The experiences will be remembered long after the cost has been forgotten.

Back