Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dimensions & Details Please!

Frotz

Frotz

Hello All!

I'm writing from Canada and hope to come and hire a California SE to do a trip this autumn. I think it's the best solution for travelling in Europe since it's a regular sized vehicle and has everything, I think, a camper van needs! :thumb

Before I make decisions, I need some more details, please.
:help

I'm wondering if a large sized mountain bike, with the wheels off, could fit in the boot space. I've been looking for the dimensions for it in the brochures and the California supplement, but it's nowhere to be found!

Could you please describe the boot? Is it rectangular? 40" wide by 32" deep? How tall is it (with shelf horizontal and also when locked up at an angle)? Can the bench be moved back and forward and locked in place so as to vary the depth? Does the shelf come all the way to the back door? Is there a gap where a bike frame could be left standing against the back door?

Also, could you please tell me how big the inside of the drawer is under the bench?

Thank you very much!
Andre.

Hi

In answer to your question, forget fitting a mountain bike in the boot space. Doesn't matter which way you configure the bench and shelf, it ain't happening.

If you configure the bed space as you would for sleeping on then yes it would fit on top but that would severely restrict your internal space.

Why not just ensure you hire a Cali with an external bike rack fitted :thumb , I can fit 4 bikes on mine.

The drawer is about 3 cases of beer sized :smile

The rear seat can be moved forward a long way. The rear parcel shelf can be removed.
With the seat forward you can fit a bike in the rear, some members have done this. But it probably would not be fesable when on a camping trip. Why not hire one with a bike rack on the tailgate ?

A bike rack would leave my pride & joy exposed to damage while driving and possibly theft. That would be horrible as I've already had all my bikes stolen from me at one time or another that I've left locked in the open.

Re: Dimensions & Details Please!

With the rear bench seat pushed all the way forward you have a load area of 52" long by 40" wide. So with the rear shelf removed I would think it was possible.

Re: Dimensions & Details Please!

About 12.5" with the shelf at its normal height. You gain another 3" when you put the shelf at its higher position

Hi, can anyone help me?
I want to know what are the dimensions of the under bed space and above bed space behind seats (with Comfort Mattress) of a T6 Cali Ocean.
If I had my Cali I would measure it, but sadly still waiting delivery.

A bike rack would leave my pride & joy exposed to damage while driving and possibly theft. That would be horrible as I've already had all my bikes stolen from me at one time or another that I've left locked in the open.

I would be seriously annoyed keeping the bike inside while camping. The bikerack is the solution. We travelled +5000 km thru Europe with two expensive carbon bikes on the back. They where under a protective cover (fiamma) and locked to the car with both the locks in the rack and a separate wirelock. No problem.

I normally tow my bicycle :shocked

None of this bike-rack stuff. Eurotunnel charge extra!

Lived in St John, NB for 12 months, 1986. Still wake up screaming.

Europe is fab.

And what are you planning to fit in the drawer???

Enjoy.

With the rear seat pushed all the way forward and the parcel shelf removed I have carried Geraldine.

She is no mountain bike, instead a rather sturdy Pashley sovereign princess roadster!

a rather sturdy Pashley sovereign princess roadster!
Marvellous bike. After years of being a hopeless uncle, I toured the bike shops of south London by tandem with my niece as stoker and she eventually settled for a Pashley Poppy for her 14th birthday. Six years on and she still uses it almost daily.

Marvellous bike. After years of being a hopeless uncle, I toured the bike shops of south London by tandem with my niece as stoker and she eventually settled for a Pashley Poppy for her 14th birthday. Six years on and she still uses it almost daily.

Oh Lovely!

A pink one I take it?

I just love it!

Most people where I live think that I am auditioning for a part on "call the midwife" :oops:

Depends on what bike?

I ride XL 29ers and these will fit in the back of the Cali. Oddly the cross bike is a little longer.

To achieve this you need to remove the stop in the floor guide , move the bench forward, and the front wheel will go into the side door recess. Then strap the bike to an headrest.

Probably easier to remove the wheels on a road bike.

Blimey.... must have been tired last night because I've only just noticed the original posting date....

Hi, can anyone help me?
I want to know what are the dimensions of the under bed space and above bed space behind seats (with Comfort Mattress) of a T6 Cali Ocean.
If I had my Cali I would measure it, but sadly still waiting delivery.
Hi JW,

Did you ever find out exact dimensions under the rear shelf (in normal driving conditions)? I've tried many, many searches, and have learned tons from reading really interesting but not directly related threads, but I still don't know how much space is available with the shelf on the lower setting!

Such simple things when you have the van, a PITA when you don't!

Hi JW,

Did you ever find out exact dimensions under the rear shelf (in normal driving conditions)? I've tried many, many searches, and have learned tons from reading really interesting but not directly related threads, but I still don't know how much space is available with the shelf on the lower setting!

Such simple things when you have the van, a PITA when you don't!
Are these any good for you, I took them last year when planning like you are now;
IMG_2533.jpg IMG_2534.jpg IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2537.jpg
The under-shelf measurements are for each position.

Thanks Loz, just what I was after. I can now get back to the crazy spreadsheet of R.U.B. dimensions to work out which set might suit us best!

Thanks Loz, just what I was after. I can now get back to the crazy spreadsheet of R.U.B. dimensions to work out which set might suit us best!
I found the best method was to find a staples or like place on an industrial estate or similar. Get permission from member of staff and then take at least one of each box you might need to the Cali. Play Jenga and buy the ones you want. Worked a treat.

Mike

64L work great but can be rather heavy when fully loaded. I have this page on my bookmarks;
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/boxdetails.php

That's the one I'm using. Brain wobbling...

I found the best method was to find a staples or like place on an industrial estate or similar. Get permission from member of staff and then take at least one of each box you might need to the Cali. Play Jenga and buy the ones you want. Worked a treat.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Only issue is the 100km of sea between me and the nearest stockist, hence the extreme planning! Unfortunately, I won't have time to do this when I pick her up in March as I have to dash for the ferry, and we have our first to to Spain a fortnight later, so the Interwebs are my only option!

Back