Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dip Stick level

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Off to tour France, for the first time, later this week and have just checked the oil level (also for the first time) after c.2300 miles; the dip stick readiing is just below half way between high and low level indication. I intend to top up with oil, but I was wondering what the oil capacity is between the high and low dip indicators.
Replies gratefully received.

Did check handbook - suggests 500ml but not definitive. Do folk think 250 ish ml in advisable to top up or leave at just under half way?

Buy a small bottle and take it with you. It just fits in the same area as the battery, held in place by the wiring. Then you can check the level on your trip and you'll have the right type with you if needed.

Did check handbook - suggests 500ml but not definitive. Do folk think 250 ish ml in advisable to top up or leave at just under half way?

Half-way I'd say is absolutely fine, but you could always put 100ml in and recheck...

Buy a small bottle and take it with you. It just fits in the same area as the battery, held in place by the wiring. Then you can check the level on your trip and you'll have the right type with you if needed.

Good advice, Simon. I’ll do what you suggest.
Cheers, all

If going on a longish trip I'd always have it at max level. Assuming it was full and you have done 2300 miles and it's now half way down then it's going to be at the lowest level during or at the end of your trip.
BTW you can buy the correct oil a lot cheaper on eBay rather than from the dealer.

Mine was at mid point on delivery and I thought that I'd top it up when it dropped slightly, but after reading up on levels I found that mid point is actually correct and min and MAX are exactly that.
I had topped it up but only got about 1/4 ltr in to bring it up.

If going on a longish trip I'd always have it at max level. Assuming it was full and you have done 2300 miles and it's now half way down then it's going to be at the lowest level during or at the end of your trip.
BTW you can buy the correct oil a lot cheaper on eBay rather than from the dealer.

Stupidly I did not check the initial reading, so I don't know if I am losing oil or not. Never done a trip less than 45 mins on motorway / A55. Confused again now.

I got a high oil level warning yesterday while on a long journey. When I got home I checked and the level was way above the maximum.
I have never touched the oil myself, both services to date have been done by VW, really p*#sed off!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I got a high oil level warning yesterday while on a long journey. When I got home I checked and the level was way above the maximum.
I have never touched the oil myself, both services to date have been done by VW, really p*#sed off!

When was the last service done?

Had it just been serviced? If not it’s major cause for concern, as the only way it’s going to get fuller is either fuel or water getting into the sump neither of which is desirable.

Have you lost any coolant ? As others say, rising oil with no cause (i.e. serviced and overfilled very recently) is generally very bad as something is getting into the oil.

When was the last service done?
January.
Coolant level perfect.
Haven't been driving much since the service until this weekend.

And you kept your foot in? Kind of makes the alarm pointless?

January.
Coolant level perfect.
Haven't been driving much since the service until this weekend.

If VW overfilled at the service, then why didn’t the High Level alarm activate before?
If the coolant level is unchanged, then it maybe a good idea to get it checked out. Overfuelling during a DPF Regeneration has been mentioned on the T6 Forum., as a cause of rising oil levels.

And you kept your foot in? Kind of makes the alarm pointless?
I don't really know what you mean. The warning said oil level high, workshop. Which is what I intend to do.

Had it said, oil level high, stop. I would have stopped.

It has alerted me to a problem so I would say it worked perfectly.

If VW overfilled at the service, then why didn’t the High Level alarm activate before?
If the coolant level is unchanged, then it maybe a good idea to get it checked out. Overfuelling during a DPF Regeneration has been mentioned on the T6 Forum., as a cause of rising oil levels.
Thanks WG.
This weekend is the first time I have really been out for a proper spin since the service. Maybe the warm weather is a contributory factor.

I don't think I have over fuelled at any stage.

I'll get it checked out.

Thanks WG.
This weekend is the first time I have really been out for a proper spin since the service. Maybe the warm weather is a contributory factor.

I don't think I have over fuelled at any stage.

I'll get it checked out.

Nothing to do with you over fuelling the vehicle.

During the DPF Regeneration extra fuel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke to fuel the Regeneration. It is thought if too much is injected it leaks past the compression rings into the sump, diluting the sump oil and raising the level.

Nothing to do with you over fuelling the vehicle.

During the DPF Regeneration extra fuel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke to fuel the Regeneration. It is thought if too much is injected it leaks past the compression rings into the sump, diluting the sump oil and raising the level.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. Thanks for explaining.
I just read the thread on the T6 forum.
Here's the link for anyone who may be having similar issues...

I'll get it looked at.

Back