Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dirty rear window and door

Wrinkly Ninja

Wrinkly Ninja

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I'm sure this must have been discussed before, however...
Whenever I drive in spray or rain conditions the rear window and rear door get much more dirty than the rest of my T6 Ocean.
Has anybody found a solution? Do rear mudflaps (I'm not a fan of these ..but...) help reduce the problem?
I will probably get some clever responses that tell me to only go out when it's dry, but if anyone has a helpful experience I'd like to hear it please.

The optional spoiler is supposed to help, but if you have a bike rack you cant fit one.

The optional spoiler is supposed to help, but if you have a bike rack you cant fit one.
Thanks Loz. No bike rack but didn't really want a spoiler as it wouldn't suit the retro style I have tried to achieve.
I always thought rear spoilers were to improve aerodynamic downforce which might help with the window dirt
The dirt problem seems to be coming UP and over the whole rear area

Don’t think you can fit if you have solar either. Cable interferes.

Whenever I drive in spray or rain conditions the rear window and rear door get much more dirty than the rest of my T6 Ocean.
Has anybody found a solution? Do rear mudflaps (I'm not a fan of these ..but...) help reduce the problem?
I will probably get some clever responses that tell me to only go out when it's dry, but if anyone has a helpful experience I'd like to hear it please.
Can't say I have noticed that as a problem but I do have factory fitted mudflaps.

Basic aerodynamic shape of a house brick.

I find leaving the rear door open solves a lot of it :shocked

Thanks Loz. No bike rack but didn't really want a spoiler as it wouldn't suit the retro style I have tried to achieve.
I always thought rear spoilers were to improve aerodynamic downforce which might help with the window dirt
The dirt problem seems to be coming UP and over the whole rear area

It is the air flow pattern (turbulence) created by air travelling over the sides, top and bottom, that causes the rear to get dirty. The rear spoiler changes this turbulence pattern and so reduces the build up of dirt on the rear door/glass.

The spoiler in a Cali does nothing on downforce. :)

Anything added to change that air flow pattern - including the rear flaps do help a little bit, but the flaps alone - not much.

The rear spoiler has been on my list for long, but getting it colour coded to the van (Mojave Beige) and then fitting it at home ... will get down to it one day soon.

I think you mean the huge area of low pressure created in the wake of the bluff rear end of the vehicle? Pop a nice boat tail on the tail gate and the problem will go away as the flow will stay attached.

Has anybody found a solution?

Drive everywhere in reverse, although the problem then occurs at the front.

Drive everywhere in reverse, although the problem then occurs at the front.
Thank you ydna ni notul...I knew there would be someone on the forum with an effective solution.
Now...has anyone got a good idea for the dirty front windscreen and grille?
Also, my rear park sensors are going off all the time and its quite difficult driving at night with only the tail lights. Should I annoy the c..p out of everyone and use my rear fogs all the time?
Oh...I get quite a stiff neck too...maybe I should swivel the driver's seat round?

Thank you ydna ni notul...I knew there would be someone on the forum with an effective solution.
Now...has anyone got a good idea for the dirty front windscreen and grille?
Also, my rear park sensors are going off all the time and its quite difficult driving at night with only the tail lights. Should I annoy the c..p out of everyone and use my rear fogs all the time?
Oh...I get quite a stiff neck too...maybe I should swivel the driver's seat round?

Rowles1938 may have the answer to most of your problems, he was investigating rear view cameras that stayed on all the time.

I have mudflaps on our T5. Never had a dirty rear.

It's a similar problem that you had with Splitscreen and bays with leaky main oil seals due to too much crankshaft endloat.

The low pressure meant that most of the dripping oil appeared to ended up on the back of the bus.

Back