Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disabling alarm for ferry crossing

wyn

wyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We will be taking our California for a first trip abroad next month and in anticipation of using a ferry for the first time I have been trying to decipher the instructions for disabling the anti tow alarm. One problem I have come across is that I don't seem to have a light visible in the button on the door pillar to tell me whether the alarm is set or not. Does this mean the alarm is faulty or just that the light isn't working. Is there any way of checking whether the alarm is on or off when using the alternative method of locking the vehicle by using the remote control key in the driver door cylinder. (p50 under Deadlock Mechanism)

:idea: Hi wyn and welcome to the asylum (forum) have you checked the light with the drivers door open :?:

Chris

Not sure how you can easily check it but pressing the button twice means no alarm...

I have been trying to decipher the various options for locking the California described on pages 43 to 52 of the Multivan, Caravelle, Transporter Owner's Manual and have tried to summarise them below.

Fob button x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm ON,
Motion sensor /anti-tow ON

Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON,
Motion sensor/anti-tow ON

Inside button Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF,
Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF

Key in lock x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm OFF,
Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF

Key in lock x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON,
Motion sensor/anti-tow ON

Am I right in thinking that Option 4 "Key in lock x 1" is my best option for travelling on a ferry, as the switch on the B pillar which is supposed to be used for de-activating the motion sensor/anti-tow does not seem to be working.

I'm not sure your interpretations are correct. From experience I know key in lock activates the alarm because with my surf key if I don't get to the real key when I've unlocked the van within 15 or so seconds, the alarm goes off. When I've locked the van by the drivers door the alarms not gone off on the ferry but it was quite a smooth crossing of the Irish sea.

If you press the button on the drivers door pillar and it doesn't light up it is faulty. It should light up when pressed and then go out once you have shut the doors and locked it. Deactivating the tow alarm

If you leave the drivers door open for too long it will not work, so take key from ignition, open drivers door, press button, if bright its deactivated, if dull activated. BUT, contrary to the owners manual it does not auto activate once you open door again and insert key in ignition so remember to re activate or your internal sensors will remain OFF !

Used it once on channel crossing to disable alarm, second time a crew member said not to worry as they patrol car decks regularly, and car alarms are always going off. So i don't worry about it anymore. We cross channel about 8 times a year. Who is going to tow it away????

Ideal though for when free camping to deadlock yourself in.....

BerndRos said:
If you leave the drivers door open for too long it will not work, so take key from ignition, open drivers door, press button, if bright its deactivated, if dull activated. BUT, contrary to the owners manual it does not auto activate once you open door again and insert key in ignition so remember to re activate or your internal sensors will remain OFF !
You are correct about the owners manual being incorrect but it gets worse......if the button is showing that it is activated (dull red) and you press the top button to deactivate (amber) that shuts off the anti dog (movement) but not the anti-tow, to shut off the anti-tow you have to press the bottom of the rocker switch as well. :headwall

So my findings are dull red = activated, amber = deactivated, top button = anti dog, bottom button = anti-tow......not very intuitive. :crazy

Chris

Could it really be THAT sensitive that a fan heater sets the 'movement' alarm off :?:

weel in the manual they say that a phone on vibrate is enough to set the alarm...

Whilst in Portugal and Spain this year alarm set off with roof open and quite windy, drunken neighbours were not happy

Thought it worth highlighting this again for any newbies. We recently used the switch to deactivate the internal sensor while dog was in van. Didn't realise it stayed deactivated for days as we had gone by the info in the manual which said it would activate itself once opened and locked again. Only spotted the light was still Amber rather than red today, easy to miss due to where the switch is located.

In case anyone is wondering about the answer to @wyn's original question, the bulb in my rocker switch seems to have gone but it still functions. The only way to know whether interior scan is enabled or not is to lock myself in and flap around, which is a bit annoying, but at least it works!

Back