Disabling the alarm on the Cali for ferry crossing

Dr Paul Milne

Dr Paul Milne

Iceman
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone
Fairly new to the forum and Cali ownership. Proud owner of 2012 T5
Just back from France. Brittany Ferries ask drivers to disable their car /van alarm for the crossing. Needless to say I didn't know how to do this but tried (incorrectly) by manually locking the T5.
Incorrectly,... because we were able to see it flashing away along with other VW T5 /Transporters on the stern of the ferry where it had been parked once we had sailed.

Any advice /thoughts on how to do this....

:welcome to the club.

Hi everyone
Just back from France. Brittany Ferries ask drivers to disable their car /van alarm for the crossing. Needless to say I didn't know how to do this but tried (incorrectly) by manually locking the T5.
Incorrectly,... because we were able to see it flashing away along with other VW T5 /Transporters on the stern of the ferry where it had been parked once we had sailed.

With the driver's door open, press the button on the inside of the B pillar so it glows orange. Close the door and lock the van with the fob in the normal manner.

There is a way to disable the alarm using the key in the lock, but last time I tried I managed to set the alarm and disable the dead lock!

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

With the driver's door open, press the button on the inside of the B pillar so it glows orange. Close the door and lock the van with the fob in the normal manner.

There is a way to disable the alarm using the key in the lock, but last time I tried I managed to set the alarm and disable the dead lock!

Many thanks Tom

Many thanks Tom

This is also how you set the alarm system to 'camping' mode to lock doors while you sleep or leave the van with the roof up If you don't already know this - hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs). Just remember to open the door with whatever method you locked with the night before or you'll wake the whole campsite ;>)

This is also how you set the alarm system to 'camping' mode to lock doors while you sleep or leave the van with the roof up If you don't already know this - hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs). Just remember to open the door with whatever method you locked with the night before or you'll wake the whole campsite ;>)

Just locking the van from the inside with the button on the driver's door would be easier at night?

Warning, you should not use the remote to lock the California when sleeping inside, even if you've deactivated the alarm.

If you use the key fob you deadlock yourself inside the van and you cannot get out unless you find the key fob, which could prove dangerous...

Use the lock button on the driver's door and the alarm will not be set and you can quickly get out of any for without needing to find the fob.

Just locking the van from the inside with the button on the driver's door would be easier at night?

Yes that is the easiest option as it disables the internal sensors.
In the morning to get out you either press the unlock button on the drivers door or pull the internal door handle twice and you are free to go!

No NO NO! Don't - ever.

You will be deadlocked inside the van and unable to escape in an emergency.

At night lock the doors with the rocker button on the driver's door. This locks the doors without the deadlock and without the alarm. Two pulls of any door handle will open the door in an emergency.

Hi everyone

All I’ve ever done on ferries or if I leave the dog inside is press the remote lock button a second time and it seems to deactivate the sensors. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never had a problem with the alarm going off.
At night I use the button on the driver’s door.

Last edited:
No NO NO! Don't - ever.

You will be deadlocked inside the van and unable to escape in an emergency.

At night lock the doors with the rocker button on the driver's door. This locks the doors without the deadlock and without the alarm. Two pulls of any door handle will open the door in an emergency.

Thanks for clarifying that chaps. We either press the button down on the driver's door to lock, or press the button on the sliding door - definitely without deadlocking. Though surely activating the 'camping' button prevents the deadlocks (ie one clunk instead of two when you lock the door with the key fob?). And always keep the key to hand when you retire for the night.

All I’ve ever done on ferries or if I leave the dog inside is press the remote lock button a second time and it seems to deactivate the sensors. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never had a problem with the alarm going off.
At night I use the button on the driver’s door.

The second fob press unlocks the deadlock: the alarm should still be active.

Thanks for clarifying that chaps. We either press the button down on the driver's door to lock, or press the button on the sliding door - definitely without deadlocking. Though surely activating the 'camping' button prevents the deadlocks (ie one clunk instead of two when you lock the door with the key fob?). And always keep the key to hand when you retire for the night.
I think you are overcomplicating things involving key fobs, best sticking to manually pressing the door lock.

We’ve just returned from France and faced the same problem regarding the ferry, and we have a 2012 van so hopefully our solution will work for you. When you park up on the ferry close all the doors except the drivers door. Lean in and press the switch on the B pillar so that it turns from red to orange (as mentioned above). Close the drivers door. Press the lock button on the remote twice in quick succession. You will notice that the internal lock button on the door is now depressed but the light is not flashing so the doors are locked but the alarm is not set. No flat battery when you return to the car deck! Hope it works for you.

We’ve just returned from France and faced the same problem regarding the ferry, and we have a 2012 van so hopefully our solution will work for you. When you park up on the ferry close all the doors except the drivers door. Lean in and press the switch on the B pillar so that it turns from red to orange (as mentioned above). Close the drivers door. Press the lock button on the remote twice in quick succession. You will notice that the internal lock button on the door is now depressed but the light is not flashing so the doors are locked but the alarm is not set. No flat battery when you return to the car deck! Hope it works for you.
You only need to press the button once on the key fob to lock the Cali after pressing the button on the B pillar, this locks and arms your Cali but disables the internal sensors to stop nuiscance/false alarms.

That is fine, it locks the doors without the alarm and without the deadlock.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
This is where my confusion started as I followed the advice given on the forum to press the key fob once but when I do so (having flicked the switch on the B pillar), the doors lock and the alarm is activated. Only when I press the fob twice do the doors lock but the alarm does not activate. Maybe there is some variation in different vehicles, ages or whatever. As long as we can each find a solution that works and avoid that sinking feeling associated with arriving on the car deck of the ferry and hearing an alarm coming from the general direction of our van and wondering ... is it ours?

This is where my confusion started as I followed the advice given on the forum to press the key fob once but when I do so (having flicked the switch on the B pillar), the doors lock and the alarm is activated. Only when I press the fob twice do the doors lock but the alarm does not activate. Maybe there is some variation in different vehicles, ages or whatever. As long as we can each find a solution that works and avoid that sinking feeling associated with arriving on the car deck of the ferry and hearing an alarm coming from the general direction of our van and wondering ... is it ours?

The B pillar button only works if the driver's door is open.

If the driver's door is closed and the button pressed through the sliding door it will not deactivate the alarm.

I think it is unlikely that the B pillar button can be programmed differently.

The second fob press unlocks the deadlock: the alarm should still be active.

Thanks Tom. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve been doing the same thing for five years in two Calis and my Golf. The only time the alarm has gone off with the dog inside has been when I’ve forgotten to press the fob a second time. Never a problem to my knowledge on the ferries but then I probably wouldn’t know! We’re due back on the fast ferry from Portsmouth tomorrow so I’ll have to decide whether to stick with what I’ve been doing or try something more complicated.
Loz- you agreed with my post and understand the Cali’s technology. What do you think?

Thanks Tom. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve been doing the same thing for five years in two Calis and my Golf. The only time the alarm has gone off with the dog inside has been when I’ve forgotten to press the fob a second time. Never a problem to my knowledge on the ferries but then I probably wouldn’t know! We’re due back on the fast ferry from Portsmouth tomorrow so I’ll have to decide whether to stick with what I’ve been doing or try something more complicated.
Loz- you agreed with my post and understand the Cali’s technology. What do you think?

When in doubt - read the ****ing manual.
2832462309b227e985a9dc5a61d096f6.jpg

Point five. The alarm is deactivated when the doors are not deadlocked.

In other words, a double fob press turns off the alarm and locks the vehicle without the deadlock.

When in doubt - read the ****ing manual.
2832462309b227e985a9dc5a61d096f6.jpg

Point five. The alarm is deactivated when the doors are not deadlocked.

In other words, a double fob press turns off the alarm and locks the vehicle without the deadlock.

Thanks for that sensitive response Tom!
If I believed everything that is written in the manual my mirrors would not fold in when I hold down the lock button on the fob, my doors would not automatically lock when I drive off and my brake lights would not flash intermittently when braking at speed, all of which Loz managed to programme for me at Slimbridge! I don’t pretend to understand the technology; I’m just explaining what my experience has been to date but what you say seems to confirm that I can carry on with a double-press to de-activate the alarm as long as I’m not worried about the deadlock being off. Which is fine for ferries and when I leave my dog in the van.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
what you say seems to confirm that I can carry on with a double-press to de-activate the alarm as long as I’m not worried about the deadlock being off. Which is fine for ferries and when I leave my dog in the van.
If I interpret the double negatives in the manual correctly, a double fob lock followed by a key cylinder (triple) lock will deadlock the vehicle without setting the alarm. This is the same locking mode as pressing the B pillar button and a single fob lock.

We had a long topic about a year back and after lots of testing we found that the b piller button and a double press does the same thing.
Disables; tilt sensor, ultrasonic sensors and deadlocks.
I didn't think the B Pillar button deactivated the deadlocks, just the internal sensors and anti tow. That's unless you push the B Pillar button and double press the remote.

Back