Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disappointingly VERY WEAK AUX-HEATING in T6.1

C

Calimas

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi everyone... just wondering af I´m the only "Unhappy Camper" experiencing a BIG NEGATIVE DIFFERENCE in the auxilary heating capacaty in the T6.1 compared to the T6,0
I´ve previous owned a 2018 T6.0 Ocean and just upgraded to the T6.1. The T6.1 heater need to be cranked up to a minimum of 8 or 9 to have any effect whatsoever. The heat output from the 9 setting in the 6.1 delivers less heat than the 5-setting in the 6.0. Very disappointing in an otherwise PERFECT ADVENTURE MOBILE. Unfortunately VW offers NO solution to the issue, so I am seriously considering to install an extra (seperate) Sebasto-heater to be able to (hopefully) get back to the comfy-level I was used to in my T6.0 Anyones experiences or comments highly appreciated, thanx...

I wonder what the difference is, is the heater unit under the van the same?

Can you show us a picture from the label on the left door (at least that is where my stickers are) from the heaters? They show the power of the units.

1596301266224.png

According to VW it is the same heater unit, so I guess it must have something to do with the new digital control-system. Anyway, coming from an T6.0 it is really a bummer and pain in the.... bummer...

I thought the numbers had some relation to temperature rather than 'heat setting', so perhaps it's the middle of summer might have something to do with it???

I thought the numbers had some relation to temperature rather than 'heat setting', so perhaps it's the middle of summer might have something to do with it???
I was wondering the same.

When and how have you found out that the heater isn't as good?
Have you measured inside temperature?
In summer, if you put on the heater, it will heat to the same temperature as you asked for, but if you heat up from 5°C to 25°C, or you want to heat from 20°C to 25°C, the last will feel less, because it's already warm.

On the german caliboard.de there has been a discussion going on since January about the parking heater being inadequate in the 6.1, much less adequate than before:

Hi everyone... just wondering af I´m the only "Unhappy Camper" experiencing a BIG NEGATIVE DIFFERENCE in the auxilary heating capacaty in the T6.1 compared to the T6,0
I´ve previous owned a 2018 T6.0 Ocean and just upgraded to the T6.1. The T6.1 heater need to be cranked up to a minimum of 8 or 9 to have any effect whatsoever. The heat output from the 9 setting in the 6.1 delivers less heat than the 5-setting in the 6.0. Very disappointing in an otherwise PERFECT ADVENTURE MOBILE. Unfortunately VW offers NO solution to the issue, so I am seriously considering to install an extra (seperate) Sebasto-heater to be able to (hopefully) get back to the comfy-level I was used to in my T6.0 Anyones experiences or comments highly appreciated, thanx...
Hello

Just wondering if half a year on you have solved your heating problems? Just took delivery of a new Ocean 6.1 and I'm also finding the heating to be a little disappointing.

With the roof up and the heating set to 10, it's simply not warm enough to be comfortable without keeping your coat or a thick jumper on.

Having said that, it's very cold at the moment, so perhaps I shouldn't be expecting any better than this?

Hello

Just wondering if half a year on you have solved your heating problems? Just took delivery of a new Ocean 6.1 and I'm also finding the heating to be a little disappointing.

With the roof up and the heating set to 10, it's simply not warm enough to be comfortable without keeping your coat or a thick jumper on.

Having said that, it's very cold at the moment, so perhaps I shouldn't be expecting any better than this?
I would check the air input-output hoses are correctly connected to the heater (external) I am wondering if the input hose is disconnected taking the air from outside instead of the step?

Strange.
Last night in our t5 Beach (2012) sleeping in the mountain (snow at 1000slm) we had perfect warm: downstairs 3 little girls with Heater (eberspacher) set on 2. Upstairs my wife and me with fixed Calicozy and sleeping bag (northface, 20 years old). T-shirts and boxer inside. Super!
Seems I will keep my poor t5 102cv for a long time in the future..
6fce16339df8cf58ba66e6368adbb2e1.jpg
f16133afa97614fbf596514c690f7452.jpg
4c3d25a93dfbcf5a022034ca9970366a.jpg
2acf2ed535a463c7f0036693875c3c6f.jpg
47537b01d3ecf5e331e0e10a2335887a.jpg

Heater set on 5 is even too much as a dryer (one hour to dry everything inside
ad57b3b001ef6cefd37a68542bed3358.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Hi original poster here...
...and no "6.1 heating" news unfortunately.
I´ve exhausted every avenue, but no luck.
The dealer says the 6.1 gives a lower heating output by default by VW (with no way of changing it) as a way of preventing setting fire to duvets and a like. In othe words: Suck it up ! Hmmmmm...
Sound like just a bad excuse for poor performance to me.
Good luck with keeping Your warm by alternative means
PS! Supe Cosy "T5 SAUNA" snapshots....

Only solution may be costly by having an Eberspacher Thermostat/Control unit fitted as in Commercial vehicles.

Hi original poster here...
...and no "6.1 heating" news unfortunately.
I´ve exhausted every avenue, but no luck.
The dealer says the 6.1 gives a lower heating output by default by VW (with no way of changing it) as a way of preventing setting fire to duvets and a like. In othe words: Suck it up ! Hmmmmm...
Sound like just a bad excuse for poor performance to me.
Good luck with keeping Your warm by alternative means
PS! Supe Cosy "T5 SAUNA" snapshots....
This alone would be enough for me to choose a van from a different manufacturer. How are you supposed to travel in winter? Are they suggesting that the heater on the T6 was dangerously hot?

It is absolutely on my to do/wish-list... ;-)

T6.1 owner here, got my van a couple months ago and managed to squeeze in some very cold weather trips.

It worked just fine for us, only 2 of us in the van.
We only used the heater while we were awake, preferring to switch it to ventilation mode overnight (all windows closed, roof down).

I do not expect to keep toasty warm while heat is escaping through the single-layer tent material of the pop roof! I guess if you did then there are a few solutions to wrap the roof but we would much prefer to keep the roof down in such conditions as it's less faff!

T6.1 owner here, got my van a couple months ago and managed to squeeze in some very cold weather trips.

We only used the heater while we were awake, preferring to switch it to ventilation mode overnight (all windows closed, roof down).

I do not expect to keep toasty warm while heat is escaping through the single-layer tent material of the pop roof! I guess if you did then there are a few solutions to wrap the roof but we would much prefer to keep the roof down in such conditions as it's less faff!
On the T6 with a non removable internal iso top liner it is toasty warm with the roof up.

Imo. the aux.heater problems are controlpanel related as there are many other strange errors and tweaks accuring when the new controlpanel was introduced in the T6.1.
Can’t imagine there’s been changes on the heater itself , just the way it’s monitored is changed .

Can I ask what ventilation mode is on the heater. Is this a 6.1 control panel feature ? Does it suck the stale air out ?

So it’s just the roof getting stuck open, the heater being weak and the intermittent cabin light problems so far then.

Can I ask what ventilation mode is on the heater. Is this a 6.1 control panel feature ? Does it suck the stale air out ?
Yes it is a mode of the aux heater on the control panel.

I’m not sure exactly what it does but it saved us having to crack a window while sleeping to circulate air

So it’s just the roof getting stuck open, the heater being weak and the intermittent cabin light problems so far then.

I have a Coast so manual roof, works every time!

Heater seems fine to me in the near zero-degrees temperatures I’ve tried it. But I don’t have a T6 to compare to.

Have had no issues with cabin lights so far touch wood (effect).

I have a Coast so manual roof, works every time!

Heater seems fine to me in the near zero-degrees temperatures I’ve tried it. But I don’t have a T6 to compare to.

Have had no issues with cabin lights so far touch wood (effect).
I like the electro-hydraulic roof when in warranty and when in the UK. Outside the UK or out of warranty I would much prefer the manual roof.

Back