Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discover Navigation POI problem

DocDave

DocDave

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have just acquired a new T6 Ocean equipped with Discover Media Navigation. We are making some test trips to get used to everything and have found the forums here extremely useful. However I have a problem with the satnav in that I cannot search for POIs as described in the user manual. When in nav mode with the map displayed the manual says if I press the "View POIs" button at the bottom of the screen it will allow me to select "other pois" - but all it will display is three categories Restaurants / Petrol /Carparks - there is no option to select other categories for searching ( I can choose which categories are displayed on the map ok). I was hoping I could search for POIs near my current position when travelling. I have updated the map to the latest version but this has made no difference. Apologies if this is a well known issue but I cannot find a solution searching the forums and the web - am I doing something stupid here ? I did eventually work out how to search a full postcode - after googling that problem!

Any/all suggestions welcome

David

Hi Dave, Not in my Cali so can't be exactly sure but it goes something like.
Go to sat nav
Press settings button in bottom right
I think it's then select maps
Then select POI's

I'll confirm next time I'm sat in it if not

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks - I've tried the options through the settings/map menus and this allows me to change what is displayed graphically on the map - that bit works ok.

IMG_20170206_212158102_HDR.jpg The problem I have is that the "POI" button on the bottom of the map screen will only display three options that I can't change - see attached image - and pressing them makes it search only for these three categories. In the manual it says that you should be able to see an "Other POI" option in this list - and then search for another specific POI category - I think with an option for - near current location / on route / at destination - but I can't get this bit to work.

I can search by going through new destination (bottom left button) and typing in say railway station - but this is rather long-winded to type in each category every time - surely there is a short-cut!

Maybe I've misread the manual and VW consider these the most important categories!

David

IMG_20170206_212158102_HDR.jpg

In that case you and I are at the same point. I've learnt my way round it without the manual as a result of wanting to import POI from Carnet and then display them. I wasn't aware of there being the possibility to search for a specific POI using the drop down box. I'll have a play.

Mike

After more playing around I have realised that I can touch any point on the map and a dialog box appears that allows me to "search nearby" and then type in say supermarket or Tesco and get a local listing. This solves my immediate issue - but I'm sure there must be a way to get "otherPOIs" !

It still feels a bit clunky (too many clicks!) entering postcodes - however clearly I am learning. I can't say the manual is overly helpful. Busy planning a trip down france soon - and still waiting for a crit-air certificate for Paris.

Choose new destination
Then despite it already saying united kingdom in country click on the country box
Type in uk and select united kingdom
Should see postcode button on bottom left
Choose that but remember to toggle between characters and numbers and put space in

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the postcode hint - I still don't understand why when you press the POI button it only gives you three options that you can't change. However I have discovered that when you touch a map location (or the top right symbol in 2D mode) you can get a "search nearby" option which was what I was trying to do so at least I can look for POIs during a trip. We've just driven down france and I primed it in advance with all the locations - which worked reasonably well.

Hi. We just got a new ocean last week and have exactly same issue. 3 poi show on screen and can't add or change them. I have tried adjusting the poi selection in set up and this works. But the nav screen does not change. Did you manage to resolve the issue?

Hi,
No I haven't discovered how to change the list when you press the bottom POI button - as in my posts above the only way I found round this was as above to use the "search nearby" facility (by touching the screen somewhere when actively navigating) and just type in the name of what you want to try and find eg supermarket or Tesco etc.
Seems a bit daft - but maybe I am still missing something here!

Quite a coincidence that we both have identical problem. Is it just the 2 of us or are there more people with this issue? Any one from vw able to make a comment or suggestion. ?
Or as you said. Maybe we are both a bit daft and missing something obvious!

I have not played with POIs on mine but I imagine you would need to load the POI file of whatever you want into the sat nav?

Hi, I'm having similar problems but with personal pois. I can load them onto sat nav and if I am close they show up even with logo, but I can't find a way to get into the vehicle and then call up the of pois I want to choose from and go! I can with my Garmin cheapy though?

The three POI options you're looking at there are the most popular 'shortcuts' only - a quick dab to find the nearest X in a hurry.

For a wider selection you need to be in the 'New Destination' bottom left touchscreen button & choose from the top right dropdown:

image.jpg

Mike @T6 CFO has had a brave tilt at uploading / downloading personalised POI datasets, but it's a massive faff & I'm also not bothering loading things into the VW 'Car-Net' online portal PITA.

I have however found the 'Online POI' search useful to look for a particular store or chain nearby, or near a town we're headed for eg: IKEA - though you need to be tethered to a smartphone or on WiFi.

The problem I have is that the "POI" button on the bottom of the map screen will only display three options that I can't change - see attached image - and pressing them makes it search only for these three categories. In the manual it says that you should be able to see an "Other POI" option in this list - and then search for another specific POI category - I think with an option for - near current location / on route / at destination - but I can't get this bit to work.

I can search by going through new destination (bottom left button) and typing in say railway station - but this is rather long-winded to type in each category every time - surely there is a short-cut!

Sorry @DocDave - I'm reading from my iPhone & skimmed this. You're right there is indeed a fourth "Other POIs" option missing on yours that I have on mine:

image.jpg

Can you try it whilst tethered to a phone hotspot or on wifi?

EDIT: now see this was all 6-weeks ago, DOH!

Last edited:
It is now Dec 2018 (almost 18 months have gone by). Has ANYONE solved the problem of searching within categories?.

The NAV is such a kludge; I would expect these kinds of issues from 1st gen software.

Seasons greeting, Merry Christmas, and Happy NewYear

No I have the same issue. I wanted to enter the ferry port in Newhaven but gave up as POIs only had those three categories and ended up googling the postcode. I’d be interested to find the solution.

I have the same issue. Many happy hours spent fiddling with the sat nav and still only three POI categories on the POI menu.

I think it must be a glitch.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back