Discovering the Grand California 600 in the showroom

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We got an invite to see the GC 600 for the first time the way he can be orderd , i've had seen the inside of the prototype at the Brussels car show earlier . The "ugly" version !
Camper Centrum Nederland is the one and only official VW dealer selling the GC in Holland (so they say) and they invited some 80 people to see the curtain opend and revieled the GC 600
They orderd three 600 some time ago , the 680 needs a C1 (+3500kg) drivinglicence and will be less popular they think.
It was last friday evening in Amersfoort , where i go quite some time now for everything regarding my Cali as in Belgium i have not much fait finding a decent Cali dealer.
We got a chance to take a good look alltough it was a bit crowded , everyone wanted to get in the GC.
Prices are way up in Holland due a certain tax system , the GC starts from about 72.000€ , the two models in the showroom where close to 100.000€ options included . Compared with 52.000€ startprice Belgium pricelist
Those who are thinking getting one best are aware a GC needs a lot of options and they are not cheap.
The extra bunk bed , solar panels , Truma heater ,....all expencive options
Anyway , i'm not getting one so they might ask whatever , i'm just curious how it looks like , maybe we will see some development in the next generations Cali's .....
Some pic's
BC49645B-014F-4505-B4A7-413E1CC5A6D6.jpeg
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0687.JPGIMG_0671.JPGIMG_0679.JPGIMG_0688.JPGIMG_0672.JPGIMG_0700.JPG

Last edited:
Glad to see you both looking so relaxed and well after the trauma of the last few months. Particularly like the knees photo! ;);)

Thank you posting this. It’s good to see real like photos rather than marketing hype.

It’s good to finally See one it’s a shame we will not see one in the UK until the end of the year :(

Thanks for the pics. How tall are you (trying to get scale for the lying down photos!)

Great photos Wim. I think it looks very nice and it seems like you had a great time.

I may be wrong but I think VW may struggle to sell many in the UK if the prices are any thing like that. €97000 (£86700) for a well specced 600 is a lot. I suspect that many prospective buyers may conclude that they could get many other similar vehicles for less. Here's just one from that sector:

If it's that much for the 600 then I dread to think what the 680 will be.

I wonder if there are better conversations out there at half the price tbh, I doubt I would buy one.

Great photos Wim. I think it looks very nice and it seems like you had a great time.

I may be wrong but I think VW may struggle to sell many in the UK if the prices are any thing like that. €97000 (£86700) for a well specced 600 is a lot. I suspect that many prospective buyers may conclude that they could get many other similar vehicles for less. Here's just one from that sector:

If it's that much for the 600 then I dread to think what the 680 will be.
They do have a high environmental tax on their vehicles, I reckon it would be 10k cheaper in the UK and we may get a better exchange rate after Brexit.

Very interesting, thank you. Not that I’m in the market, having just bought our own Cali Ocean, but I had read that only the Four Motion required the 3500kg+ licence and the other versions were light enough to drive on a normal licence. Is this wrong?

Our children are teenagers now and not the slightest interested in camping, so we thought the luxury 680 might be perfect for the dog and us in a two or three years’ time, assuming we continue to be Cali addicts...which seems highly likely.

I love the idea of having every facility self contained the bed looks good but the dining area seems more cramped than a normal Cali. That knee photo really sums it up for me, so close. All rather material though I could never afford one.

@Georgiegirl , i'm about 1m75cm tall .
@California4x4 , there are build in blinds and flymesh , up/down witch look pretty solid.
the cabin windows need to be blinded with those fabric and stick system witch i find very unhandy , those like the T5 in the UK had previous
I don't know how long it runs on the one single lesure battery so guess solar panels are a must have for 1700€ :oops:
@MattBW , i think the driversseat was not all the way to the back so might be gaining some space but as you say sitting on the table is rather cramp .
Also that table is strapped on the rear bed and needs to be slotted in a rail every time you want to use it. Passengers sitting in the rear while driving can not have the table in use...pretty dumb .

Some further info :
The two campingchairs and outside table = option !
The fridge has sort of a night setting were it cools less (regenerate) and makes less noise.
There's not any overhead cabinet in witch a folded shirt or trouser can fit laying flat ! They look great but the bottom of those cabinets narrows down to about 10-12 cm .
The step to acces from the side comes out electric/automatic but has a manual override in case electric fails , to slide it in manual otherwise you are not able to drive off with the step folded out on the side of the verhicle.
The flooring is some sort of rubber with the looks of wood like availeble in the T6 .
To reach to the handle to wind out the awning , visilble in the 3th picture , you need to be very tall and/or stand on the rear bumper.
The two pit coocker gaspits are even smaler than in our Cali .

I got two short video's taken on my Iphone ,not all that good quality , wil try and post them later .

Last edited:
Maybe better to share this German video , as mine are not that good;)

Maybe better to share this German video , as mine are not that good;)
Thanks for the posts and the links. It’s an interesting product, but not for me. I’m 6ft1 (185cm) so I’m pretty sure the beds would be too small. It’s good to see VW trying to innovate though.

Nice socks! ;)

Thanks for the pics and info :thumb

Will never buy this. I had so great ideas for a grand California. But why oh why did they not just make a true grand California??

With a normal crafter height + a pop-up roof with extra 2 adult persons bed.

Such a big van, but no garage for a bike inside. The bed is to small for at least 70% of your potential costumers. Bed needs to be in lenght, like in the 680. No ugly sideblobs and long enough. Plus you have room for a garage.

It is just a big dissapointment, on so many points, it is very annoying and completely useless. Only when you are a couple, will never have friends with you and you will do nothing but sit in your camper whole holiday.

Look at a Hymer grand canyon s. The California should have gotten that lay out.

The 680 is even worse, that is so big which makes it a turd to drive, if you have the license. But still no garage and also only 1 bed!!!! Wtf??? What a criminal waiste of space.

Unbelievable. Wish i could make a lay out for a new California grand. Total failure this.

Almost forgot to mention that CCN could not let us go home without a goodiebag...
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG

I think VW will find it alot less popular. Basically it is a motorhome, not a camper and that market is a crowded space with better value to be had elsewhere. The Cali Ocean has a niche in that it is a clean cut well put together camper than can be used a family car. The Gran Cali is just a motorhome that is not practical to use every day. A very nice luxury motorhome, but a motorhome.

And it is butt ugly

Glad to see you both looking so relaxed and well after the trauma of the last few months. Particularly like the knees photo! ;);)
Great photos but too high for me! With the air suspension on car park mode I can enter most car parks.

I wonder if there are better conversations out there at half the price tbh, I doubt I would buy one.

They do have a high environmental tax on their vehicles, I reckon it would be 10k cheaper in the UK and we may get a better exchange rate after Brexit.
Or possibly a much worse exchange rate after Brexit!

Back