Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

It looks like the incidence of T6 main roof corrosion will be the same as for the T5, as nothing appears to have changed in the manufacturing or design process. It's therefore very likely that almost every van will suffer EVENTUALLY. The more / earlier you look, the more / earlier you'll find.
The front part of the roof is hopefully cured on the T6, as things have changed, although I'm not aware of many people taking bets on that yet.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've been reading all the comments with interest. Do we know how many T6's have the corrosion and whether VW have acknowledged this as a problem? I was just wondering whether this are a few isolated incidences or whether this is a more structural and widespread problem?

If it is a problem, we would consider the MP rather than the Ocean. Apart from the Germany promobil site, does anyone know whether there is a comparison of the ocean vs. the MP?

Thanks all. I really feel for anyone if the corrosion is serious for the T6.
As far as I know eight owners of T6 Californias reporting on this forum have had their roof panel investigated either by themselves or by dealers. Of those eight, four have shown "corrosion" issues. The reported "corrosion" seems to affect the edges (outside and inside) of the main roof panel, particularly down the sides. The main roof panel is made of aluminium and is not a structural part of the California.

I am happy to be corrected on any of these points. JW

Hello yes but please read my last . I have temporarily refitted my old seal with silicone grease . We're off to Merribel and then Dubai ( Brother in law's 60th ) will post when I hear back from VW dealer .
Hi Trebor, are you back in the UK? Hope you had a great holiday. Any news from your dealer about the new seal and if possible could i have a section of the old seal as above? Thanks JW

Thanks JW that's really helpful. Apologies if I'm playing catch up and risking repetition, but has the corrosion been acknowledged by any third parties such as a vw dealer?

Hi there Grumposaur! No sign of any adhesive at all, but lots of grit and moisture had collected inside the seal. I'm sure 28 hrs on the ferry back from Santander on an open deck will have added to the cocktail of compounds that would react with aluminium in that confined space. Interestingly, no corrosion was evident on the front section where water presumably drains away relatively well. Horrified to see the images posted of bare rusted metal (probably steel wire) within the U-section of the rubber surround. Appalling quality control... Needless to say, a call and email to VW York will be made very soon. This is after the melting awning in France, of course. Great! Might go back to a tent.
Hi Martin, any progress/update? Have you been to your dealer yet? Any comments/official response from VW? JW

2016 JW. What should I do?
Which Month?
To do? As I see it right now you have two choices. 1) Wait until you see more evidence of corrosion (look every 6 months or so) and then when it becomes obvious go and see your dealer and ask them to fix under the paint warranty or, 2) Go to the dealer now and ask them to fix it under the paint warranty.

If it were me I would choose option 1) but do not leave it later than two and half years after the vehicles registration date before you see your dealer. The standard paint warranty lasts three years.

You should mention to your dealer that you believe there is a Warranty extension (see earlier posts) for the main roof panel of an additional three years (total six) as this is a known problem carried over from the T5 model.
Any other views out there?
Hi Simon, did you take any action yet? What option did you follow? Any of the above or another? Any contact with dealer/VW on this issue? If so what has been their response? JW

Thanks JW that's really helpful. Apologies if I'm playing catch up and risking repetition, but has the corrosion been acknowledged by any third parties such as a vw dealer?
Hi AC, as far as I know no official comment - will try and update later. Might get some other answers later....

Great id really appreciate that, thanks JW.
All the best

Anyone that reads this forum is aware of it, don't trust the VW dealer to look for it, they will just fob you off.

I have reported mine, but as far as VW is concerned it is isolated until more people check!!!

By not checking you are not doing yourself or other members any favours.
Hi T6B, have you an update? Following your reporting what has your dealer/VWCS said? Any official response? Did you have it repaired under warranty? Are you waiting? JW

If you have purchased an extended VW warrantee then does it cover the roof corrosion Issue. If it doesn't then anyone with an EW will have to check their roof before the end of the first three years.

Sorry if this has been asked previously but before I start reading through all of the blurb someone just might know the answer.

Does colour have any significance in the stats of roof 'corrosion'?

Hi Trebor, are you back in the UK? Hope you had a great holiday. Any news from your dealer about the new seal and if possible could i have a section of the old seal as above? Thanks JW
Back from Meribel but in Dubai now for 2 weeks for Brother in Law's 60 th . I've had to temporarily refit my old seal with silicone grease ( see previous post ) as it was marginally better than the 2 nd new one . Dealer is chasing up where we go from here but nothing heard yet . Had 2 side windows broken in Chambery 2 weeks ago ( see post and photos ) so having those replaced when we get back as well . Will section old seal when I can .

Back from Meribel but in Dubai now for 2 weeks for Brother in Law's 60 th . I've had to temporarily refit my old seal with silicone grease ( see previous post ) as it was marginally better than the 2 nd new one . Dealer is chasing up where we go from here but nothing heard yet . Had 2 side windows broken in Chambery 2 weeks ago ( see post and photos ) so having those replaced when we get back as well . Will section old seal when I can .
Saw your post about the break in - bad enough at any time but on Holiday!!
Have a great time in Dubai. Speak when you get back. JW

If you have purchased an extended VW warrantee then does it cover the roof corrosion Issue. If it doesn't then anyone with an EW will have to check their roof before the end of the first three years.

Sorry if this has been asked previously but before I start reading through all of the blurb someone just might know the answer.
Hi Borris
I thought VW have given us a further 3 years on the standard 3 years warranty for the roof corrosion irrespective of an EW

Alan

Hi Andy, 12 year paint warranty? Are you sure?

My reading of the VW commercial vehicles warranty is that you have 12 years Body - "internal cavities" -protection against rust. This will not cover the roof panel corrosion issue but the Paint Protection Warranty will and is valid for 3 years. I also believe that VW have extended this warranty (for the roof panel only) to six years (an additional 3 years from std). JW
As you say body rust through doesn't apply to external paintwork. 3 years only on T6 the extension to 6 years applies to the T5 only. If T6 becomes a multi problem then VW 'might' extend that time extension to the T6 in a year or two.:(

I am relatively new here though have a T6 Ocean on order and followed many threads with interest and thanks.

Given the large number of subscribers on this site who are owners, prospective owners and/or considering upgrades why isn't that collective power being used to get some definitive statement from someone towards the top of the VW HQ hierarchy?

I might have missed something but have questions been sent relating to the various issues and theories put forward on here regarding corrosion on T6s? If so what has been their response?
As a waiting for delivery of a T6 member and seeing this issue reappear on the T6 I contacted VW Customer Services.
Response as others say was that the roof was a T5 problem which is now resolved. Any future problems will be dealt with on an individual basis only.
They also confirmed that the T6 only has a 3 year paintwork warranty. The 6 year warranty was for T5's only.

Hi Borris
I thought VW have given us a further 3 years on the standard 3 years warranty for the roof corrosion irrespective of an EW

Alan
Thanks Alan,
I am probably wrong but I vaguely remember reading that VW had only made that offer up until some point before the end of the T5 production. 2014 rings a bell.
After that point VW claimed that they had solved the corrosion issue.
However I stand to be corrected.

Thanks Alan,
I am probably wrong but I vaguely remember reading that VW had only made that offer up until some point before the end of the T5 production. 2014 rings a bell.
After that point VW claimed that they had solved the corrosion issue.
However I stand to be corrected.
I think we are getting confusion between Corrosion on the roof Front Cap, which was supposed to have been sorted Post Mid 2014 and Corrosion on the edges of the Elevating Roof section which appears on the T5 and now on the T6. 2 different areas and I think VWCS are just as confused, the plonkers,

I think we are getting confusion between Corrosion on the roof Front Cap, which was supposed to have been sorted and Corrosion on the edges of the Elevating Roof section which appears on the T5 and now on the T6. 2 different areas and I think VWCS are just as confused, the plonkers,
Thanks for the clarification WG.
Can you confirm that the three years extra warrantee only applies to those vehicles built before that post mid 2014 cut off point?

Thanks for the clarification WG.
Can you confirm that the three years extra warrantee only applies to those vehicles built before that post mid 2014 cut off point?
I cannot confirm that, I'm afraid. At the least I would have thought it was just for the T5.

The VW letter says, I quote,

“the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty.----------------------- In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of protection from three years to six”

I've not seen any VW correspondence that puts any restrictions on date of manufacture or model it just say it, “the California roof is covered-----”

So I think it could be counter productive for lots of people to ask VW for any confirmation if their particular vehicle is covered. We have it in writing as above, If and when they refuse to do a repair, let's face that at the time!

Just to show the response from VW to my enquiry regarding roof corrosion concerns as it may help clarify official warranty terms.

Hope it is of help to those puzzled by the 6 year warranty period on T5's

I am delighted to hear of your recent order of a California T6 Ocean. I appreciate that your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a Volkswagen and that any concerns are therefore most disappointing. It is for this reason that all new Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles are supplied with a comprehensive three year Paint Warranty, and 12 years Anti-Corrosion Warranty.

"The roof issue you are referring to was a paint issue; the paint reacted with the metal which was on the front roof panel over the driver’s cab, and the clips that hold the pop-up roof in place, are made from. These areas are made with different metal to the rest of the vehicle and therefore, the reaction took place only in these areas. At this point the Paint Warranty was extended to six years for the T5 models affected by this issue.

I have spoken to our Product Support Team who have advised that we have changed the manufacturing process to eliminate the issue. Therefore, it is unlikely that this reaction would affect any T6 models. However, similarly to the T5 roof issue; we would acknowledge any concerns on a case by case basis"

Just to show the response from VW to my enquiry regarding roof corrosion concerns as it may help clarify official warranty terms.

Hope it is of help to those puzzled by the 6 year warranty period on T5's

I am delighted to hear of your recent order of a California T6 Ocean. I appreciate that your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a Volkswagen and that any concerns are therefore most disappointing. It is for this reason that all new Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles are supplied with a comprehensive three year Paint Warranty, and 12 years Anti-Corrosion Warranty.

"The roof issue you are referring to was a paint issue; the paint reacted with the metal which was on the front roof panel over the driver’s cab, and the clips that hold the pop-up roof in place, are made from. These areas are made with different metal to the rest of the vehicle and therefore, the reaction took place only in these areas. At this point the Paint Warranty was extended to six years for the T5 models affected by this issue.

I have spoken to our Product Support Team who have advised that we have changed the manufacturing process to eliminate the issue. Therefore, it is unlikely that this reaction would affect any T6 models. However, similarly to the T5 roof issue; we would acknowledge any concerns on a case by case basis"
I don't think that this letter clarifies the specific concerns about the corrosion under the seal. I agree with WG in that VWCS are confused themselves. I also agree with SusiBus that we need to be careful not to act individually in case it becomes counter-productive. The post by SusiBus on 14th August 2014 - WARRANTY FOR ENTIRE ALUMINIUM ROOF SECTION EXTENDED TO SIX YEARS - seems to suggest that the whole roof is covered for six years. It does not mention 2014, 2015 or T6 models.

While the situation is being clarified which may take some time it would be sensible for anyone purchasing at the moment to take the protection of the extended warranty which is also not too expensive but would provide some peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A general comment form a soon to be a Cali owner.

It would be wise I think to remember that everything we post here can be read by the public or at the very least by all members and I think, as such, it would be naive to think VW do not monitor this forum in some way. Just worth thinking about before pressing the post button.

I know my dealer keeps an eye on what is said here.

Back