Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY side sun shade / windbreak

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The comfortz side sun shade / windbreak seems expensive and not quite right for our needs. So we want a bespoke solution.

The problem is knowing what material we should use? And where to get it? It has to be compactable for storage, opaque to block the light, and very importantly QUIET, so that it doesn't make a racket in the wind. I'll also need to be able to fold it in half (while in position on the awning) to allow a breeze to come in underneath when really hot, or at full length to block the wind. Oh! And cheap would be good too. Otherwise, we may as well pay for the real deal!

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Yep, as HC linked the standard answer is the good old Quecha tarp - at £20 every Cali should have one in the boot. :)

Won't repeat it all here as the topic above shows how to link it to the front but they are very adaptable and you can add eyelets and use various means to attach it to the side.

I bought a pair of Lidl garden awning sides last year intending to make some cheap & cheerful sides. I think they were something like £12 for the pair - velcro fixing at the top that fits round the awning arms, needed trimming down widthwise. For that sort of money its a good source of suitable waterproof fabric.