Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY Towbar Install with Towbar Prep

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I'm contemplating DIY installing my own Westfalia detachable towbar to my 2015 T5.1 (the full kit is £238 from PF Jones with the 13 pin wiring kit as opposed to £580 fitted). My Cali has towbar prep. which from other posts I understand is behind the water filler but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. How do you get the wiring prep. connector from behind the water filler to the towbar?
2. Does the wiring kit just plug in and work or does it have to be manually wired and then VCDS coded?

Thanks.

I'm contemplating DIY installing my own Westfalia detachable towbar to my 2015 T5.1 (the full kit is £238 from PF Jones with the 13 pin wiring kit as opposed to £580 fitted). My Cali has towbar prep. which from other posts I understand is behind the water filler but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. How do you get the wiring prep. connector from behind the water filler to the towbar?
2. Does the wiring kit just plug in and work or does it have to be manually wired and then VCDS coded?

Thanks.
1. You don't. There is a wiring loom from the 13 pin socket that goes to the Wiring Prep sockets/plugs via a hole behind the bumper that has to be removed to fit the Towbar.
2. If it is the proper Westfalia kit then once wired it has to be coded in using VCDS. If you have Parking Sensors then these will be disabled when the Towbar is in use also there is a change to braking intensity when the tower is in use Plus bulb and indicator monitoring .

If you don't want any hassle fit a genuine VW wiring socket or you will have hassle first you will not get at the socket easy and if you have parking sensors they need to be swapped out as to the programing yes it will need programing

Back