Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY TV/wifi aerial mounting on awning rail

MrNick

MrNick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was looking for some way of mounting our wifi booster and TV aerial neatly on the Cali, without using suction mounts that always fall off or any sort of pole. It had to be easy and quick to set up yet secure in wind etc. The geek in me loves a project too! :Stig

Came up with this using the awning rail...

IMG_1173.JPG

As somebody else pointed out on here, M6 sized coach bolts slide neatly into the rail, and the square part stops them from turning when you tighten them. Got a pack of 20mm ones from RS along with a packet of knobs.

For the wifi booster I've got a Ubiquiti Nanostation M2, which is basically a larger version of what you get with iBoost (without their branding, longer range). I'm using the Ubiquiti wall mount, just with the holes made slightly bigger to fit the M6 bolts. The good thing about this mount is that you can use it pointing either way, as obviously the awning rail on the other side of the van isn't usable.

Inside I've ran a 12v cable from the socket by the bench, under the mattress and up to the top shelf of the back cupboard. Here I have "the technology shelf" with everything neatly wired to power the Ubiquiti and also for the TV...

IMG_1169.JPG

The other box is a Ubiquiti Airgateway, which is a tiny router which provides POE (network and data over single cable) to the Nanostation outside, and also a wireless access point so we can all use one connection inside. This officially runs off 15v (with a 240v brick that comes with it) but works fine on 12v, so via a cigarette to DC cable and POE injector cable from Amazon, this works fine. Once set up - needs networking know how for initial set up - its rock solid.

The TV aerial is the Avtex STH3000 which is great. I'm using it here with the bendy mount which means it can point either way and also horizontal if required. Couldn't find any sort of bracket with M6 sized holes to use here - ended up using the plastic drip tray from a broken Nespresso coffee machine we had in the loft! - turned upside down (don't want it collecting rain!), drilled a few holes and now the bendy mount is bolted into it, and the knobs for tightening it onto the awning rail are underneath. Will keep an eye out for another sort of bracket I can use, but this'll do for now!

Then we use a Brandrup Airsafe to leave the boot very slightly open to run the cables. Gives a bit of ventilation but is still lockable.

Both mounts just slide on and off in 2 seconds, then just tighten them up, simple.

TV is an Avtex L218 with an awesome Gallant Lift Off mount. Here being very enthusiastically modelled by Holly...

IMG_1167.JPG

So after a busy day hiking and exploring, when we're all tired we can put our feet up with a film, decent wifi and a few(!) drinks!

We're at the Trewetthett Farm site in Cornwall for a week, absolutely amazing site!

IMG_1172.JPG