Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do all USB sockets draw power when not in use?

To some degree, yes, and those with little led indications very slightly more.
It's not a huge amount of draw and if you are using the vehicle regurily you probably wouldn't notice it.
The control panel itself draws .2 of an amp unless you switch it off.

Last edited:
To some degree, yes, and those with little led indications very slightly more.
It's not a huge amount of draw and if you are using the vehicle regurily you probably wouldn't notice it.
The control panel itself draws .2 of an amp unless you switch it off.
Thanks, when we're set up at camp I leave usb chargers plugged in all the sockets even if I'm not using them, so surely this has the same effect?

Thanks, when we're set up at camp I leave usb chargers plugged in all the sockets even if I'm not using them, so surely this has the same effect?
yes, but if you were not planning on using it for months you can remove them.

Also, some USB sockets and adaptors generate RF interference that can knock out the DAB radio signal, so being able to remove it might be useful.

yes, but if you were not planning on using it for months you can remove them.

Also, some USB sockets and adaptors generate RF interference that can knock out the DAB radio signal, so being able to remove it might be useful.

Sounds like it's not worth the hassle. Maybe buy the OEM part when the T6.1 comes out?

I had the same concern as OP, so I decided to go for one that had an on/off switch.
View attachment 94084

For anyone interested, I've put together a step-by-step guide on how to replace the 12v socket in the California's kitchen for this USB charger: https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/replace-vw-california-kitchen-12v-outlet-with-usb-ports-f5f6394d7993

I hope it helps!
Thanks for you awesome guide. Was able to do this in under 30 minutes. Super easy.
Most time spent to cut away some of the original green plastic to be able to push it out, was not able to do otherwise without breaking it. Now it is still functional and if needed can be glued back as new.
Also bought one with a 'button'.
This is the one I bought; https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B09C5Z8HSP/
Cost €10,-