Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I have a parking heater?

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Picked up my 2009 LHD Beach last week. Done 400 miles including a lovely couple of nights up at Porthdinllaen. All good, just one mystery. There are no apparent controls for a parking heater and no internal vent in the usual place but this sticker is on the door. Where else could it be controlled? If I look underneath, what does the Webasto parking heater look like? I wasn’t expecting there to be one btw! Thanks for any insight.

5DCC7477-F97D-4E2A-B85A-1265A2A7FBAF.jpegF460EA65-E195-41AE-A6FD-8EAF2EC8451B.jpeg

Picked up my 2009 LHD Beach last week. Done 400 miles including a lovely couple of nights up at Porthdinllaen. All good, just one mystery. There are no apparent controls for a parking heater and no internal vent in the usual place but this sticker is on the door. Where else could it be controlled? If I look underneath, what does the Webasto parking heater look like? I wasn’t expecting there to be one btw! Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 64606View attachment 64607
No you don’t have a Parking Heater.
That sticker is for the Webasto Engine Coolant Heater. It is automatic and fires up if the outdoor temperature is 5c or below to speed up engine warming and help emissions during cold weather.

No you don’t have a Parking Heater.
That sticker is for the Webasto Engine Coolant Heater. It is automatic and fires up if the outdoor temperature is 5c or below to speed up engine warming and help emissions during cold weather.

Fantastic, many thanks WG. Mystery solved! I thought that would be just too good to be true!

Fantastic, many thanks WG. Mystery solved! I thought that would be just too good to be true!
You can get a remote control gizmo that allows you to run the heater manually for 30 minutes or so to prewarm the engine and cab before starting the engine, but it is heavy on the engine battery so couldn’t be used too frequently without starting the engine.
The Eberspacher Parking Heater runs off the Leisure Battery, can run continuously and is frugal on electric power compared to the Webasto.

You can get a remote control gizmo that allows you to run the heater manually for 30 minutes or so to prewarm the engine and cab before starting the engine, but it is heavy on the engine battery so couldn’t be used too frequently without starting the engine.
The Eberspacher Parking Heater runs off the Leisure Battery, can run continuously and is frugal on electric power compared to the Webasto.

Thanks. Might look into retro fitting a parking heater.

Hi...
I was just 'earwigging', on your reply, wrt the Engine Coolant Heater.
I've got one of these fitted in my Caravelle, with no controls? I was presently surprised last winter, when it started up, one really cold morning.
I was going to fit a remote control to the system, but, I didn't realise it causes issues with the Engine Battery?
Thanks for highlighting this problem, it's disappointing VW didn't fit any controls for the unit, although, once again probably down to cost.
Regards.

Hi...
I've got one of these fitted in my Caravelle, with no controls? I was presently surprised last winter, when it started up, one really cold morning.
I was going to fit a remote control to the system, but, I didn't realise it causes issues with the Engine Battery?
Thanks for highlighting this problem, it's disappointing VW didn't fit any controls for the unit, although, once again probably down to cost.
Regards.
I think VW did fit a controller in the past in certain markets, Northern European, but not U.K. but it could only be used for very limited time without starting the engine.

I think VW did fit a controller in the past in certain markets, Northern European, but not U.K. but it could only be used for very limited time without starting the engine.
Not 100% certain but sure that I read that the facility/option to run the Webasto Heater as a cabin heat source also included a leisure battery fitment with all that entails. VW option. Still as you said with a limited time duration.

Yes... I've got a Leisure Battery fitted, I wondered why, because the vehicle has not been converted to a 'Camper'?
And apart from a few USB sockets, which we had fitted, plus the 12v power supply sockets (5) I don't know if the Webasto is powered from the L.B.?
Thank you,
Regards.

Hi...
Regards.
VW offered a programmable upgrade to the standard coolant heater in the UK, but only on the the Beach. It ran off the leisure battery until 2018, then on the engine battery. It’s not an air heater, it’s for preheating the engine and cabin on cold mornings, and uses substantial battery for pumps, fans, etc. , so only apt for morning usage. I turn mine on if I start up in the morning high in the mountains and then go on a long descent. Otherwise the motor won’t heat up, with accompanying wear to the motor and poor functioning of the engine based interior heating. Some UK T5/T6 owners have fitted a Polish controller to their coolant heaters, which then run off the engine battery. I hope they don’t use them for cabin heating.

My van also has the separate night air heater.

Last edited:
Hi...
Thank you for the information.
Mine goes in for its Annual Service and its Timing Belt, early September, I'll ask VW if they still do the 'Webasto Control Upgrade'.
My apologies, if I appear to have hijacked this thread on Coolant Heaters, it wasn't intended.
Thank you,
Regards.

^^ I’m learning about this Beach so it’s all good!

The programable coolant heater is not a software tweak, it’s a full factory installation including a control panel above the rear view mirror. It connects to the dash vents and fans, so you can program it to de-ice in the morning while you have your coffee. It will come on at whatever climate (heater) setting was in use when you turned the motor off. This is the same control panel used for the Beach air heater, repurposed for the coolant heater.

I don’t know if you could get both the programmable coolant heater and the air heater, two different machines installed on opposite sides of the van, installed from factory. Mine has a factory programmable coolant heater and an after market installed Webasto air heater.

Thank you...
Yes, I understand a Control Panel will be required, I have a blanking plate above the rear view mirror, where it would (should) have to be fitted.
I doubt VW would have installed the relevant Webasto wiring loom, during their build process, to allow owners to upgrade and install a Control Panel, for their Webasto?
I believe there is a company in Bournemouth (Advanced In-Car Electronics) who can install a Remote Control for the Webasto Top C. which maybe the way forward, although, I don't know how much it would cost?
Regards.

If you have the parking heater you have 2 stickers.
1598462446089.png

and a control panel:
1598462525157.png

The new tyre heater? :)
Talking of nitpicking, there were 7 pallets in that van and
none were loaded with any goods.
All depending on what you think is a good...
A pallet full of pallets can mean the pallets are the goods.

I take it the Control Panel allows the control of both heaters?
I don't have the 'Parking Heater', (Erberspacher in the photos) fitted, only the 'Coolant Heater', (Webasto) if I retrofit a Control Panel, would it be suitable for control of the Webasto only?
Thank you.

I take it the Control Panel allows the control of both heaters?
I don't have the 'Parking Heater', (Erberspacher in the photos) fitted, only the 'Coolant Heater', (Webasto) if I retrofit a Control Panel, would it be suitable for control of the Webasto only?
Thank you.
I don't think you will be able to fit that control panel and make it work.
And you can't control the coolant heater. That automatically kicks in at 7°C. or below. Some have a remote for that heater, but I don't know if you can control it through the panel (as I don't have the remote, I only have the remote for the aux air heater).
You can install an aux heater, but not through VW. You'd better find a decent installer to have you installed one with a separate control unit.

OK...
Thanks, won't be fitting an 'Air Heater', so it looks as though it will have to be a Remote Control, for the Webasto!
Thank you.

OK...
Thanks, won't be fitting an 'Air Heater', so it looks as though it will have to be a Remote Control, for the Webasto!
Thank you.
@Gazellio had a good heater fitted here.

Thanks...
I've already got the Webasto fitted, operating automatically, it's the ability to control the unit, I would like?