Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP ( Inchcape Volkswagen Van Center Manchester )

Tloeg

Tloeg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP ( Inchcape Volkswagen Van Center Manchester Fifth Ave, Village Way, Trafford Park, Stretford, Manchester M17 1JL ) in Nov 2020 I purchased a California Ocean for over £72,000 which was not fit for purpose numerous faults on pick up. Then abysmal customer service from this dealership I have only received one call in Nov telling me how sorry they were and how the manager wanted to call - still waiting for that call and the Cali is still not repaired 29th January 2021 nearly four months.

This is my first Volkswagen. Because of the number of manufacturing defects, quality issues with the Cali, the lack of urgency to resolve these problems and terrible customer service, this has [compromised] my experience with the Vehicle and Volkswagen as a brand.

My experience:

1.Driving from the dealership on the motorway, the roof popped open on the outside lane because somebody at the dealership had not closed it properly. (very dangerous).
2. The back cupboard door swings open every time under braking - from purchase.
3. The water tank has a fast leak, which means I can't use the shower or the taps - from purchase.
4. The third day of ownership, the rear passenger window dropped and would not open.
5. Lights are flashing under the sink. - from purchase.
6.The first visit to the service centre the only repair carried out was two windows oiled after five days of then having the Cali.
7. Second visit to the service centre the door that was ordered from Germany arrived with parts missing, and the cupboard door was not fit for the purpose.
8. No, follow up calls since Nov from this dealership who sold me The California.

I understand that things can go wrong, but a sign of a good company is what it does to correct the problems that will inform me about that companies moral compass and leadership.

The above tells me everything I need to know.

I am glad I have a main dealer who goes out of the way to help and effectively address faults in a timely way. Really your faults should be addressed by a dealer without too much issue or trouble from a dealer who knows what they are doing - perhaps the water tank issue being the most difficult but probably a connection rather than a hole in the structure of the tank.

I am glad I have a main dealer who goes out of the way to help and effectively address faults in a timely way. Really your faults should be addressed by a dealer without too much issue or trouble from a dealer who knows what they are doing - perhaps the water tank issue being the most difficult but probably a connection rather than a hole in the structure of the tank.
I wish I had done my research on this forum for dependable dealerships to purchase from, and looked at Manchester Van centre google reviews I would be in a better position.

@Tloeg I would get the van back and take elsewhere. Our water in the tank is empty for the winter so you could leave for a while, given lockdown. When we 1st got a van back in 2012 I would travel to SMG from Southampton about an hour for service as they knew the Cali very well but I found that over the years our local Southampton dealer Breeze develop expertise in the camper side of the van and I now go there. So I would say get feedback on dealers around your area and travel a bit further for "care" & service. Get this sorted and you will enjoy your van

Hi @Tloeg, sorry to hear you're having so many issues. I've had a good experience with the Leeds Van Centre Cleckheaton if you could get your van there. Our pop top canvas was coming away in one corner. I dropped the van off with them and they loaned me a vehicle. Once it was fixed (within a week) they dropped the cali back at my home. They also threw in a VW T5 T6 California SE/Ocean Utility Blind just because a queried if they could get one! :)

Agree with Meoncoast. We both use Breeze in Southampton. I did use SMG for some works and even recently I was still finding legacy issues for the work they did.

Third for breeze Totton (Southampton) only rubbish thing is the carpark (tiny).

@Tloeg I would get the van back and take elsewhere. Our water in the tank is empty for the winter so you could leave for a while, given lockdown. When we 1st got a van back in 2012 I would travel to SMG from Southampton about an hour for service as they knew the Cali very well but I found that over the years our local Southampton dealer Breeze develop expertise in the camper side of the van and I now go there. So I would say get feedback on dealers around your area and travel a bit further for "care" & service. Get this sorted and you will enjoy your van
Thank you for your advice I am currently looking at poss Liverpool.

Hi @Tloeg, sorry to hear you're having so many issues. I've had a good experience with the Leeds Van Centre Cleckheaton if you could get your van there. Our pop top canvas was coming away in one corner. I dropped the van off with them and they loaned me a vehicle. Once it was fixed (within a week) they dropped the cali back at my home. They also threw in a VW T5 T6 California SE/Ocean Utility Blind just because a queried if they could get one! :)
Thanks for the heads up will def take a look at Leeds!

4th for Breeze, outstanding customer service.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP ( Inchcape Volkswagen Van Center Manchester Fifth Ave, Village Way, Trafford Park, Stretford, Manchester M17 1JL ) in Nov 2020 I purchased a California Ocean for over £72,000 which was not fit for purpose numerous faults on pick up. Then abysmal customer service from this dealership I have only received one call in Nov telling me how sorry they were and how the manager wanted to call - still waiting for that call and the Cali is still not repaired 29th January 2021 nearly four months.

This is my first Volkswagen. Because of the number of manufacturing defects, quality issues with the Cali, the lack of urgency to resolve these problems and terrible customer service, this has [compromised] my experience with the Vehicle and Volkswagen as a brand.

My experience:

1.Driving from the dealership on the motorway, the roof popped open on the outside lane because somebody at the dealership had not closed it properly. (very dangerous).
3. The water tank has a fast leak, which means I can't use the shower or the taps - from purchase.
4. The third day of ownership, the rear passenger window dropped and would not open.
6.The first visit to the service centre the only repair carried out was two windows oiled after five days of then having the Cali.
7. Second visit to the service centre the door that was ordered from Germany arrived with parts missing, and the cupboard door was not fit for the purpose.
8. No, follow up calls since Nov from this dealership who sold me The California.

I understand that things can go wrong, but a sign of a good company is what it does to correct the problems that will inform me about that companies moral compass and leadership.

Feel for you.
It’s rubbish when you have a lemon.
And the dealer sucks.
Hope things take a turn upwards for you

Yep but let Derek know and he'll keep it safe. He knows how fastious I'm with mine so it usually squirrelled away somewhere around the back or protected on the forecourt from "drop ins"

Last edited:
Agree with Meoncoast. We both use Breeze in Southampton. I did use SMG for some works and even recently I was still finding legacy issues for the work they did.
It’s scandalous that certain VW Dealerships just don’t care and are allowed to carry on Year after year providing poor service and customer care.

Thank you for your advice I am currently looking at poss Liverpool.

Thanks for the heads up will def take a look at Leeds!

Yep but let Denis know and he'll keep it safe. He knows how fastious I'm with mine so it usually squirrelled away somewhere around the back or protected on the forecourt from "drop ins"
Derek is the chap I deal with, been there years he’s fantastic.
They only do that now as mine was damaged in there carpark. They done a great job at sorting it out though.

My experience:

Hi we have used Sheffield van centre with a good service and not to hard to get there from Manchester

My experience:

I couldnt help noticing when you posted on this forum about the roof opening on 5 Nov, you said it happened at 60 mph on a dual carriageway. You pulled over and resolved the problem using to roof controls. But now you feel mistreated by the dealer and you say it happened in the outside lane of a motorway. Either way its not something that should happen but it is something that does occasionally happen.

We have used Liverpool for years and highly recommended. Be pleasant and nothing but helpful in return.

Doh.... Derek not Denis. (Denis use to be my next door neighbour but died in 2018 at 90)

I feel I would like to add my experience on on this subject. Firstly I live in Bath so thank you everyone for the Breeze recommendation which I will now use even though it is some distance from us. I totally agree that its really worth driving a reasonable distance if you get an organisation that really wants to deliver a good service. However for various reasons we bought our campervan in November from VW Van Centre in Sheffield and can really recommend them. They have always been very responsive and Mike in servicing has been fantastic post delivery. I had a fairly major problem immediately after delivery. Mike was on the phone every day and even volunteered to drive all the way to Bath to resolve. Within a few weeks I had a perfect van and if I wasn't living so far from Sheffield I would continue to use them. So if you are in that area I think you can have the peace of mind that Sheffield really want you to have a good experience which sounds similar to others' experiences at Breeze and VW Liverpool. Even if there are hitches after you've spent £70k+ on your pride and joy, which is always a possibility for any vehicle you buy, it's really the way it's resolved that really matters.

I couldnt help noticing when you posted on this forum about the roof opening on 5 Nov, you said it happened at 60 mph on a dual carriageway. You pulled over and resolved the problem using to roof controls. But now you feel mistreated by the dealer and you say it happened in the outside lane of a motorway. Either way its not something that should happen but it is something that does occasionally happen.
The roof incident was a distraction on the first day I collected the Cali - the poor customer service, numerous faults which still have not been repaired after nearly four months ... that’s what I take exception to. The positives my two friends will not be purchasing there [California Ocean 4 motions] from that dealership, and my business will not be replacing the fleet with them either.

Hi we have used Sheffield van centre with a good service and not to hard to get there from Manchester
Thanks for the heads up and there are a couple of good pubs of the snake pass.

I feel I would like to add my experience on on this subject. Firstly I live in Bath so thank you everyone for the Breeze recommendation which I will now use even though it is some distance from us. I totally agree that its really worth driving a reasonable distance if you get an organisation that really wants to deliver a good service. However for various reasons we bought our campervan in November from VW Van Centre in Sheffield and can really recommend them. They have always been very responsive and Mike in servicing has been fantastic post delivery. I had a fairly major problem immediately after delivery. Mike was on the phone every day and even volunteered to drive all the way to Bath to resolve. Within a few weeks I had a perfect van and if I wasn't living so far from Sheffield I would continue to use them. So if you are in that area I think you can have the peace of mind that Sheffield really want you to have a good experience which sounds similar to others' experiences at Breeze and VW Liverpool. Even if there are hitches after you've spent £70k+ on your pride and joy, which is always a possibility for any vehicle you buy, it's really the way it's resolved that really matters.
100% correct ... things do go wrong, and the sign off a good company is what it does to correct its mistakes and thanks for the heads up re Sheffield .

My experience:

Feel so sorry for you, I told my dealership my purchase was subject to final inspection of the vehicle as told them if there was any issue I would not take except the vehicle. I had a similar problem with BMW went to inspect the X4 on delivery to dealership and was not happy with the door alignment do cancelled order and claimed my 1k deposit back

Feel so sorry for you, I told my dealership my purchase was subject to final inspection of the vehicle as told them if there was any issue I would not take except the vehicle. I had a similar problem with BMW went to inspect the X4 on delivery to dealership and was not happy with the door alignment do cancelled order and claimed my 1k deposit back
Thanks for the sound advice ... I will remember that for next time. Enjoy the rest of the evening.

Back