Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do T6 seats clean up ok?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Debating whether to order some seat covers for when my Cali arrives (have 2 small kids), however I think it would be much nicer to just use the seats without covers.

So, question is...., is it possible to get the seats back close to as new condition using those foaming upholstery cleaners once kids have been let loose on them?

I have 3 young kids and the light grey cloth in my 18 month old beach which is our daily family motor - the seats still look new. A combination of covering with Ikea blankets when camping and training the wee blighters keeps most muck off. The odd mark comes out with the autoglym fabric shampoo. Best to use a hair dryer to dry as the fabric is prone to water marks if left to dry naturally. My thinking on the covers is you are half way to a leather retrim for the decent one so when the seats get bad replace the fabric!

I agree with Bigted. The seats seem to get marked every time we get in the van, for the first couple of months this really frustrated me. We Scotchguarded them very early on and the marks do clean up very well. The hair dryer tip is an excellent one to avoid water marks. We're going to live without covers and get leather at some point but for the time being I am now happy with the light grey seats, and they are sooo comfortable on long journeys. Enjoy.

We put the Brandrup covers on the first day. They fit so smooth you can hardly tell they are on …

First visit to allotment with new (to me) van. Lots of care with tools and boot forgetting mucky paws on front seats. Hoping will dry and brush off. Wasn't keen on covers but like idea of working towards leather seats.

I have 3 young kids and the light grey cloth in my 18 month old beach which is our daily family motor - the seats still look new. A combination of covering with Ikea blankets when camping and training the wee blighters keeps most muck off. The odd mark comes out with the autoglym fabric shampoo. Best to use a hair dryer to dry as the fabric is prone to water marks if left to dry naturally. My thinking on the covers is you are half way to a leather retrim for the decent one so when the seats get bad replace the fabric!

We were set on Alcantara until we saw some gorgeous leather retrims at the NEC. Hence we went with the standard fabric initially..... which incidentally clean up really well with the Autoglym as recommended by our dealer.

+1 for Brandrup seat covers, we have just run ours through the washing machine after a busy season, they look like new again, well worth the money.

Get some quality (Brandrup or similar) seat covers.

The piece of mind I get from my seat covers (cheap inka waterproof ones) are worth every penny.

The first week we had the Cali before seat covers our niece marked the rear seat with her shoes. Took AutoGlym to sort, then they were watermarked which we then sorted but stressful.

The last thing you want to be doing is worrying about your seats.

A damp cloth +/- Autoglym and a stiff brush on dried mud with occasional vacuuming keeps mine looking good. Also a microfibre coloured large towel as a cover on the back seat squab.
I have visions of all these households with Inka dark coloured waterproof covers on their 3 piece suits.
Use them, abuse them and clean them. When you can't return them to an acceptable condition then 2nd skin covers or a retrim.
Unless of course you've bought the vehicle with the next owner in mind rather than yourself. :thumb

Thanks for the opinions. Was also a bit concerned about the airbags operating properly with the seat covers - I know they are supposed to be designed so that the stitching is weaker over the airbags, but can't help but think that isn't ideal.
PS - how did you get the water marks out?

Hi, we have two kids (8+6), had our cali for 9 months now. We didn't want to cover our seats (why pay all that money and cover up), however after the first weekend away we found ourselves on edge watching the kids eat, drink etc. as didn't want them to mark the new seats. When we got back we ordered Inka covers and best thing we did. Look great and no worries with any spillages etc. The seat covers have slits where the airbags come out and so sure this would be the same for all options.

PS - how did you get the water marks out?

First I used the Autoglym interior foam, which made the watermarks worse.

Then I used this, which is nothing short of amazing, a light spray and all marks vanished before my eyes.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...aning-vacuums/autoglym-interior-shampoo-500ml

Also used the above on our 2nd hand Golf interior roof / sunshade, where the previous owner I can only presume had a love of suncream, or some other make up. I thought I might even need a new headliner, but it came up amazingly well.

Then I used this, which is nothing short of amazing, a light spray and all marks vanished before my eyes.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...aning-vacuums/autoglym-interior-shampoo-500ml

Also used the above on our 2nd hand Golf interior roof / sunshade, where the previous owner I can only presume had a love of suncream, or some other make up. I thought I might even need a new headliner, but it came up amazingly well.
Yep, thats what I use. Very good.:thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Loz

That's the one!

Back