Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you Cali travel on your own?

M

malc

VIP Member
I do ..... Widowed 12years ago, I would be lost without my Cali. This is my second cali. I will be travelling to France and Portugal surfing cycling walking and painting for 7weeks on my own. Done it before and I find I meet many interesting people along with visiting friends. I belong to a couple of single camping clubs. Just returned from a wet Scotland, the group I joined were great fun and more than made up for the bad weather.

just joined Passion France ...any advice? Where do you go? Any experiences or advice in general?

Sounds fabulous :clap

I do in mine and have done in hire Cali's for long distances races that Frida doesn't fancy joining me on, can't be some alone time in the Cali.

I do and enjoy it. My wife works part time and I'm retired early - lucky me! I go off walking with our dog 2/3 times a year just for 2/3 nights at a time, coinciding with when my wife Clare is working. Never a problem getting a chat with people I meet along the way with a rather lovely (Irish Terrier) dog in tow!

Hi Malc :) .... You know me if it's cycling events then I'm on my own which does quite suit me :)

Must admit I have had more adventures travelling on my own...perhaps my wife would not have approved ...

I've been stranded in the Alps with a snow drift in front and an avalanche behind, marred 3times in France (long story) and adopted by a Swedish family with a Cali!

Wonder what will appen this year?

Keep us posted Malc and be sure to get some nice photos with those bikes of yours ;-)

I regularly travel on my own with the cali.Take the bike,kayak or walking kit and head away for a week or so.Its the perfect escape.No ties no commitments.

My and the wife go away for day trips in it with the dogs,I've had it two years and she has not yet slept in it.Keep trying,hoping this next leave.

I hate flying (i fly eight times a year for work),i like to take the van and make a trip to the final destination,the wife likes holidays that include flights!Hence the reason i spend a lot of time in the van on my own.

I also travel alone on breaks away,although my wife likes to be chauffeured in the Cali she's not into the glamping scene,must admit though I haven't been that forceful on the persuasion front :D
She has to have the luxury of a hotel,so I'm never short of space in the van and easier to wild camp.
However ,I do take my my best friend Ruby, a Patterjack terrier (a proper babe magnet...just joking girls) when I go on fell walking and fishing trips etc.
Owning a Cali is so much fun

Alan

Yup Grainne (Irish Terrier) is just the same [WOLF FACE]

Yes, a couple of times a year I go off to France, Spain, Portugal etc on my own for a month or more. We used to own a Hymer but my wife hated it and that's why I now have the Cali. Wild camping is so much easier and I lose weight when I go away as I'm not eating such large meals!

Morning Malc. No, I don't use Passion France but I do use Vicarious' Aires books. I find their satnav and direction descriptions really useful. Increasingly though, I'm finding Aires full up with Dutch Motorhomes as I tend to travel in the Spring and Autumn. Summer down here in Cornwall is unmissable.

Same same, I have been widowed for 3years. Bought my Cali last year to do a European tour plus a weeks cycling in French alps. Loved it, doing same this year. Waiting to have more time available so I can become a semi permanent itinerant. Passion France ? M.

The Vicarious books are good although you will always find a wild camp stop so no need to go out of your way to an aire.

Re the GPS they do the last part in 'decimal seconds'...so I have to convert this into 'seconds' in order to enter into my RNS510

Morning. Passion France is published by Vicarious Books who deal with Aires and such in various countries. They can be quite useful, I find, for topping up with water or if you're not sure about a widcamping spot.
Passion France is about vineyard routes and stopovers.

Yes, I've just started travelling on my own. Lost my husband at the very end of 2013. I love driving my Cali--so comfortable and plenty of room to lounge about. Brilliant for when I visit friends as I can take a selection of clothes/shoes, bike etc, depending on where I'm going and if they haven't a spare room it's easy enough to use the Cali, sometimes preferable.

Yes I travel in my Cali on my own. I just bought it last year and I met many of you at the big meeting last May. My home is in Ireland but am rarely there now. I live in Thailand for 4 months in the winter and my Cali (named Brandy) was parked in my garage. Just home since last Tuesday and it started up with no problem at all. The electric door didn't want to open at first but is improving now that I have driven it more. I went to Italy in the Cali for 6 months last year and this year I plan to explore France. Would like to also know if anyone has tried Passion France or has any tips. I want to concentrate on one country each year and learn about the culture and language. I will not be in any hurry or have any itinerary.
It is a long way from Ireland to the south of Europe. Does anyone know of a garage in the south like southern France or Spain where I could pay to leave the Cali hooked up to electricity for about 5 months a year??? Any input welcome.
I had a great time on my own (I'm an older female) and encountered such friendly people around Italy. I now want to buy a folding bike to bring with me, they're great for riding into towns and around the camp sites.

Aileenonroad.
Sand Beige Cali. 140

Aileen...inspiring ! I am amazed at all the contributers to this site. All sorts of reasons .... the Cali makes a great companion and a great way to travel and have adventures.

Hi Malc
Used France Passion a couple of times last year on my way down to the south of France. It really works well. Although the site in Fitou was a bit of a problem. I think they wanted me to purchase wine before letting me stopover. I just turned round and booked into a site a few hundred yards away.
Don't travel on my own anymore as you know. Just off to Rome by air for a week and then we are driving down to France for a few weeks camping. Maybe we could meet up.
Have Fun
Bob

Just Buying my new Cali expecting to collect it from dealer 1st September 2017

I will be traveling on my own,as a 68 year old newbie I would very much appreciate any advice as a Solo, also any information on group travel

Back