Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you carry a spare?

T

T3Z-GB

Guest User
During the height of the last storm I unfortunately picked up a puncture, all I had was the kit supplied by VW which helped me limp to the nearest tyre shop.

At the time I was surprised to hear the puncture would not be repaired, due to the white gunk in the wheel, I was fortunate enough though to have them source a replacement albeit not the same Continental.

So I ask, do you rely on the gunk, or do you carry a spare, if so, is it underslung, in the garage, or on a wheel carrier?

During the height of the last storm I unfortunately picked up a puncture, all I had was the kit supplied by VW which helped me limp to the nearest tyre shop.

At the time I was surprised to hear the puncture would not be repaired, due to the white gunk in the wheel, I was fortunate enough though to have them source a replacement albeit not the same Continental.

So I ask, do you rely on the gunk, or do you carry a spare, if so, is it underslung, in the garage, or on a wheel carrier?
I carry two of these. It’s water based so is easily washed from the tyre allowing a repair to be carried out.

We specified a spare as previous experience with fixing punctures using "emergency " tyre repair foams was not really a fix as the tyre case was then rendered unrepairable. Our experience getting a puncture was that removing the spare needs to be done by jacking up the rear to allow the spare to clear the cradle before lifting the punctured wheel from the hub; as a secondary issue removing the alloy wheel off the hub can be difficult as the alloy /steel corrosion to the steel locating shoulder of the hub fixes it and you need to crack it off with some force. We have been unlucky with our ocean as we have had two punctures in our three years of ownership both required new tyres, and both had to have VW assist to remove the wheel off the hub due to the corrosion issue.

I am still waiting for my GC but have spoken to the parts department to get a spare fitted before collection. Never been a fan of the gunk.

6E5BD7CC-3FA5-41F6-A00A-63269D977F14.jpegtempImagePfJeKH.pngtempImageKUHYA6.pngtempImagefBXjdG.png
Puncture on our 8 month old Ocean, and state of hub / wheel which meant we had to have VW assist to remove the wheel!
Spray that VW assist bloke used when helping us with changing a wheel which we couldn't remove due to corrosion!

I'm not a fan of flat tires or puctures. So I have decided it won't happen to me. I know there's some kind of spare wheel tucked under the van, but I never dare look at it, because it might be in a bad shape. As long as I don't look at it, it won't be a problem. As long as I don't get a puncture, I'll be just fine. This way of thinking has worked quite well for me, as I have never had a flat/puncture so far on any of my cars. ;-) Come to think of it, I should delete this post, so as not to jinx it.

I'm not a fan of flat tires or puctures. So I have decided it won't happen to me. I know there's some kind of spare wheel tucked under the van, but I never dare look at it, because it might be in a bad shape. As long as I don't look at it, it won't be a problem. As long as I don't get a puncture, I'll be just fine. This way of thinking has worked quite well for me, as I have never had a flat/puncture so far on any of my cars. ;-) Come to think of it, I should delete this post, so as not to jinx it.
Too late I'm afraid even if you delete it it will be there :oops::thumb

I bought a new set of wheels for mine when my original wheels were about 18 months old. I had an absolute nightmare getting the originals off the hubs. Actually had to use a sledge hammer on the tyre and turning about an eighth of a turn each hit. How the hell I would have got them off if I’d had a puncture they were practically welded on.Corrosion is caused by the alloy of the wheel and cast iron of the wheel hub. When I put the new wheels on I put a tiny smear of grease where the two meet. A year later I took the wheels off to rotate the tyres and change the brake fluid and they came straight off no problem. Why VW can’t put something on in the first place I don’t know

How's this for an impressive and very swift case of karma:

flat-scaled.jpg

Got home from work today (in the Cali) and when I got out I heard a hissing sound. Turns out karma comes in the shape of a nail. Guess I was right; should've deleted my post. :headbang:D At least now I could laugh about it. Real hard. I'm sure the neighbours thought I'm some kind of mad man, laughing out loud at having a flat tire instead of being annoyed.

Hi I carry a spare underslung and the gunk just as backup. Would not travel without as do not wish to solely rely on gunk.

I'd never travel in the Cali without a spare. I've had punctures several times when the last thing I'd want to do is rely on a gunk can. Much better to bung on the spare and then I can get the puncture fixed at leisure.

I find it really annoying that our daily driver cars don't have spares, even space-savers.

I keep a smear of copper grease on the mating surfaces to avoid the dreaded corrosion-stick (been there, not funny at side of road in the rain), and I also insist that the tyre shop boys torque the studs correctly not just graunch them up with the rattle gun.

If you do own a spare

a) make sure it is still there
b) annually, make sure you can get it off due to the bolts corroding

About time for me to perform the annual ritual. I put the bolts back with copper grease last year so hopefully I won't need to take her to a garage just to drop the spare - which made the man with the rattle gun work bloody hard to just get the retaining bolt off...

Spare, Gunk and Tyre Threads. If you go off the beaten track you have to be prepared.

Turns out it's perfectly possible to inflate your tyre with a bicycle pump. A bit of a workout, but it works.

Turns out it's perfectly possible to inflate your tyre with a bicycle pump. A bit of a workout, but it works.
1649257597040.png

Courtesy of @Amarillo and my reaction

From my experience California's are more prone to particular rear wheel punctures than our daily drives, probably due to the extra load on the tyres.
As has been suggested many times before, prepare for a puncture, even on a newish van, take the wheels off off and put a thin smear of copper grease between the mating surfaces.

From my experience California's are more prone to particular rear wheel punctures than our daily drives, probably due to the extra load on the tyres.
That's been my experience, I've had several punctures (front as well as rear). Without wanting to kick off one of our regular "which tyre?" debates, at next tyre change I'm going to investigate proper van-spec tyres with tougher carcasses.

A puncture on a daily commute or shopping trip is inconvenient but when on a Cali trip it can be a PITA.

For camping off of Vancouver Island west coast forestry roads or (as recently) the Baja Peninsula, one would never rely on a can of gunk getting you re-inflated and rolling again. The potential for damage to the tire sidewall means that only a full spare is adequate.

The cure for corrosion-bound wheels to hub is to apply a smear of silicone grease to the mating surfaces, renewed at every tire rotation or removal. Standard maintenance practice.

I have a T5 which shipped with a spare. Last puncture I had the wheel changed and back underway in minutes. No hanging around and confident in the replacement wheel. I slacken/tighten the wheel nuts once a year to avoid issues.

No. Had a few punctures over the years never needed to resort to fitting a spare. Solutions have been reinflate tyre with electric pump and limp to nearest tyre centre. Use water based inflator solution if tyre is close to being worn out (many tyre centres will not repair if such solution is used even if 'Can' says it is repair compatible). Else plug repair kit (no need to remove wheel). If all else fails, which has never happened yet, a call to my Breakdown provider (they all carry a universal spare wheel to allow you to get to a tyre centre. Note I think some EU countries require you to carry a spare wheel.

I asked a friend of mine about the tyre sealant kits and he told me never use one unless the tyre is about to be replaced. He loves the stuff as he owns a number of tyre garages and he has told me that they nearly always have to replace the tyre when the sealant has been used as the cannot get the patch to bond.
Last time my tyres were replaced at Costco the fitter told me the wheels were very hard to get off. I asked if they could put some copper grease on and was told they were not allowed and so could not recommend it. It was serviced the week before and the VW dealer does not remove the wheels.
I was talking to a Mercedes Assist technician a while ago and he told me they carry a spare and that if I need it they would fit it and the arrange to collect it from the garage after my wheel was repaired. Seems a good service.
I would still like the option of a full sized spare as it would allow me to carry on my journey as normal once the wheel was changed.

Just had a spare tyre fitted in the under-slung cavity. The company I use strongly advised against the gunk and I have read where many roadside assistance companies will walk away if you only have the gunk.

This is what I had fitted...and costs. I am running 255/45ZR18. The spare is below and fits in the spare tyre cavity of the 2017 VW California Ocean. I purchased the retaining arm and wheel lock from another fitter though.

FIT NEW
TYRE 235/55/17 103, STEEL WHEEL 17", BRACKET S/WHEEL, SCREW,
SLEEVE, ROD, BRACKET X 2,
PARTS AS PER CURRENT RRP (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
TYRE 235/55/17 103 £135.00
STEEL WHEEL 17" £106.34
BRACKET S/WHEEL £55.58
SCREW £21.39
SLEEVE £7.36
ROD £2.54
BRACKET X 2 £30.60

Back