Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you ever NEED to remove VW bike rack?

Big Ted

Big Ted

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Sinbad arrived recently with a rear spoiler fitted.
We decided that come what may, we really wanted a VW bike rack on the rear for the convenience of always there. (Bike and Cali used in combo on commute.)

So long story short, the spoiler has been removed and VW bike rack fitted. Paint work is not great where spoiler was, hence the desire to refit.

I’ve since been busy with the dremel and am almost in the position to re-attach the spoiler, over the top of the bike rack mounts now I’ve butchered some slots in the underside of the spoiler.154DEA36-C55E-40D6-92E2-6DD24EFA2E5D.jpeg

I realise that by refitting this I’m sealing the bike rack in.
So, is there ever a time when you NEED to remove the rack?
The only real time I can think of is when replacing a broken rear window. If this happens the spoiler comes off and more than likely gets broken in it’s removal, or I simply cut enough of it away to free up the rack.

Any thoughts before I do the deed?
(Photo’s of whole process will be posted on another thread once completed.)

Can you not cut 2 slots out of the spoiler so that the rack
can always be removed ?

Can you not cut 2 slots out of the spoiler so that the rack
can always be removed ?
That’s plan b if I can’t get the spoiler tight to the boot lid. I’d like to preserve to look of it and feel by keeping to top skin i’ll keep some strength to the whole thing.
It’s going to be a very close fit, but it may just be doable!

I can't make out what the picture is.
Have you ripped the spoiler off ?
Is it just glued on or glued and screwed ?

I'm sure i´ve seen a bike rack fitted over a
sportline spoiler.

Oh!
I've just re-read your post, maybe you should have
butchered the top side for the rack to fit over ???

Spoiler was glued and bolted on.
I did toy with cutting 2 slots in it whilst in situ and just hooking the bike rack on, but I think it may be possible to make it look a bit neater.
So, spoiler off and now nibbling away with the dremel!
Since the VW bike rack sits flush on the body work I would have needed to basically cut 2 slots in it.
I did wonder about heating the whole thing up with a hot air gun and ramming the bike rack on quickly!!! ;)

It’s gone dark again, so I’ve stopped playing for now. Hope to continue tomorrow.
There seemed to be many threads questioning spoilers and bike racks, but they all appeared to be dead ends. I’m hoping to work out the answer one way or another tomorrow.

I’ve a little doubt the the arms may be too close to the lip of the spoiler too, but won’t know until I‘ve fitted it. (Hot air gun could prove useful if this is that case!)
If it all goes wrong, I’ll just wrap the top edge of the boot lid and call it a day.

I did wonder about heating the whole thing up with a hot air gun and ramming the bike rack on quickly!!! ;)
Lol. a melted back end.

I have seen it somewhere, maybe the the top hangers of the
rack were adapted a bit.

You should remove the bike rack and throw it in the bin.
It’s a waste of time and a total nuisance if bikes are on the back and you want to get into the boot space...

Have you thought of having the tailgate repaired and painted and go without a spoiler, you could have sold the spoiler which would have helped towards the cost of the repairs.
Fit a tow bar ( if not fitted ) and get a tow bar mounted one that slides to facilitate the operation of the tailgate. Our first van (pre-reg) did not come with a tow bar so we never fitted a spoiler even though I wanted one as I think it enhances the look of the van. (Went without bikes as well which we missed)On the second and now third we specified a TB so a spoiler can be fitted but never bolted on only bonded with the correct adhesive.
I personally think there's a compromise here, either spoiler and no VW rack, a rack and no spoiler. Or tow bar and a spoiler, fit the rack which takes five mins when needed negates the need to carry all that scaffolding around all the time, plus a tow bar by its very name can be used for other things :thumb

I feel the need to attach a disclaimer again stating its my personal view and has worked for us for all those twitchy disagree fingers ;)

I didn't realise they bolted and glued the spoilers, always thought they were glued.
In five years of having a cali I've never felt the need to remove my bike rack, it has its uses besides carrying bikes.
Have thought about fitting a spoiler myself but never seem to have the time to get round to it. Maybe when to kids go.....

I didn't realise they bolted and glued the spoilers, always thought they were glued.
In five years of having a cali I've never felt the need to remove my bike rack, it has its uses besides carrying bikes.
Have thought about fitting a spoiler myself but never seem to have the time to get round to it. Maybe when to kids go.....

I'm under the impression that contained within the box the spoiler comes in is a set of bolts which means the tailgate will need to be drilled, I understand the dealers do use the bolts hence why I would not have my spoiler fitted at the dealers.
I think the reasons not to bolt on have been debated before if not on here but other forums. Suffice to say if the correct adhesive, preparation and skill level are used it wont come off.
I have a good friend who owns a well respected body shop, He paints and his partner is the body man and they are the only people I would trust to work on my vehicles.

Have you thought of having the tailgate repaired and painted and go without a spoiler, you could have sold the spoiler which would have helped towards the cost of the repairs.
Fit a tow bar ( if not fitted ) and get a tow bar mounted one that slides to facilitate the operation of the tailgate. Our first van (pre-reg) did not come with a tow bar so we never fitted a spoiler even though I wanted one as I think it enhances the look of the van. (Went without bikes as well which we missed)On the second and now third we specified a TB so a spoiler can be fitted but never bolted on only bonded with the correct adhesive.
I personally think there's a compromise here, either spoiler and no VW rack, a rack and no spoiler. Or tow bar and a spoiler, fit the rack which takes five mins when needed negates the need to carry all that scaffolding around all the time, plus a tow bar by its very name can be used for other things :thumb

I feel the need to attach a disclaimer again stating its my personal view and has worked for us for all those twitchy disagree fingers ;)

I had considered a tow bar, but the cost of fitting was £440.
My Thule 903 bike rack, whilst great at carrying 4 bikes, is a pita to store, fit and remove when parked up.
My logic was - remove spoiler, buy bike rack (£300), sell Thule bike rack (£150ish?) and for a lower outlay I get an easy to use bike rack which is always on and easy to fold up when not in use. It may be being used daily in the summer.

I agree, I could have sold the spoiler, but I quite like the challenge as it seems it’s not really been met head on from what I can see in the forums.
Time will tell if I’ve made the right call!

I had considered a tow bar, but the cost of fitting was £440.
My Thule 903 bike rack, whilst great at carrying 4 bikes, is a pita to store, fit and remove when parked up.
My logic was - remove spoiler, buy bike rack (£300), sell Thule bike rack (£150ish?) and for a lower outlay I get an easy to use bike rack which is always on and easy to fold up when not in use. It may be being used daily in the summer.

I agree, I could have sold the spoiler, but I quite like the challenge as it seems it’s not really been met head on from what I can see in the forums.
Time will tell if I’ve made the right call!

Good luck it will be good to see an alternative, you never know you could start a trend :cheers

I've managed to lift the tailgate with 4 bikes on, 2 adults 2 kids, hard work and just enough to rummage in the lower half of the boot(not by me though!)
Nice avatar silversurfer, Millau?

Yes, Millau bridge. Well worth a visit, plus the Tarn gorge to the East - fabulous.. And found a very nice campsite nearby on the banks of the river Lot, in June, just opened, just us and two Belgians. What the Cali is for!

Been twice on my motorbike, gorge de tarn is a brilliant bit of road.
Plan to go back with the kids in the cali, bikes on the back :thumb

You might not need to remove the bike rack, but you'll get at least 2 or 3 more mpg without it.
We keep ours hooked onto a rail on the garage wall when not needed.

As long as you don't mind cleaning the rear screen like Marcel Marceau! cS6dUE9kYuxRDhhgQ1h-9PJ_Wd4.gif

Back