Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you fill your water tank with your garden hose? [HOSEGATE]

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My daughter was making repeated trips with a 500ml coke bottle the other day to fill the Cali water tank. I wonder if my garden hose could be used? It seems the most efficient way, but is it clean enough?

I use the garden hose but I don't drink the water, I only cook with it.

Always use mine and drink. Hose is not open ended and has same water as indoors. Never had a problem.

In theory the hose should be food grade if you are drinking the water without boiling it, I think most people do use the garden hose though - I do, I just make sure end is clean before putting it in the inlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use whatever's handy, mostly a tube like Kev's, cut down and used in tandem with a 2l empty mineral water bottle.

However I nether drink the water, cook with it or make tea with it. In fact I hardly use it, I can leave home with a full tank and come back a few days later with a half full tank.

I use hose. But I would never drink water from the tank, even boiled. I also use mineral water for tooth brushing.
Despite use of disinfecting agents, still found some nasty residuals inside the tank when repairing water pump.

I just use the garden hose. Flush it through then fill tank. I use it for everything. I'll even use it for drinking water, but usually have bottled water chilled in the fridge. Certainly use it for cooking and making hot drinks. Normally have to fill the tank every 48hrs, so it doesn't hang around long. Never caused any problems in the past. I sterilise yearly and drain it after each trip.

Ditto WelshGas, never had a problem.

Same here use the garden hose, just flush it through so that its fresh water that goes in the tank not the water that has been sitting in the hose for weeks. I don't bother draining after a trip, but drain it & refill just before we go. I always have some in the tank ready for use, but if its been there for more than a week or so would tend to boil it before use. No point lugging a hob kettle & sink around if you haven't got any water!

However I nether drink the water, cook with it or make tea with it. In fact I hardly use it, I can leave home with a full tank and come back a few days later with a half full tank.
We know why! :D

no no no never use a garden Hose if you are going to drink the water. chemicals from the hose leach into the water and it's worse if the hose is hot from the sun.

no no no never use a garden Hose if you are going to drink the water. chemicals from the hose leach into the water and it's worse if the hose is hot from the sun.

I think it is not only chemicals form the plastic and rubber, but also all sorts of algaes , fungus and other species, which will not be eliminated by a flush.

Annual dose of milton, and use the hose for drinking after running it through

I use a 5m version of this. So far seems plenty long enough for filling up. They are also food quality. I roll it up and it sits perfectly in the space above the gas bottle lid and the bottom shelf of the cupboard.

if you had seen inside the cold water tank for your average house you probably wouldn't even want to have a bath in the water let alone drink it, In most high rise buildings you are drinking water from the tank not water from the rising main.
Considering all the other pipework etc that the water goes through on its way to the tap I am prepared to take the risk of the water spending a second or two in a hosepipe - as I said before I would flush it through first though.

This is true although I think the question is akin to "do you throw away all food when it reaches its best before or use by date?"

An awful lot of people don't and still live. Statistically with the garden hose it's probably the same. Drinking from a garden hose in some other countries might be a totally different question!

Us Oldies live dangerously. Well, I've survived 65+ years without problems drinking water from a garden hose as a child, and camping over the years.
Overseas, depends where I am, so I think I'll continue living dangerously.:thumb

I have found all the above comments of great interest. I just can't bring myself to use a hosepipe though; Sue.H is right to point out the possibilities of all the nasties that lurk within them and a good flush out may be ok But I fell safer without using it. You also waste some water too. I use the Brandrup water carrier and hose fitment. A full carrier fills the tank so no waste. I have exactly the amount I need and know it is clean. I still won't be drinking it before boiling though.

Back