Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you have a corrosion free roof?

PRANDLES

PRANDLES

Harold & Hilda
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
It would appear that 'most' T5 California owners (and sadly a growing number of T6) are blighted by the roof corrosion defect.
Whilst writing yet another letter of complaint to VWCV - I realised that (as far as I know) there doesn't seem to be any member comments which state that their Cali is corrosion free.
If you are one of the lucky ones (long may it continue) could you post vehicle age, paint colour, storage situation (majority of the time
- external/internal/carport and any suggestions/advice on anything you have done to 'maintain' your roof in good condition.

Edit:
So , we are looking for T5 owner(s) who is aware of the roof corrosion problem and is fully aware where and how to check , but most important he did check , and is free of the issue.
Any other comment stick to the general corrosion tread please.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-general-discussion.9000/page-167#post-200433
T6 owners are probally not keen on checking under the seal as they are affraid to damage things and the fact probally the most T6 owners are (not yet) suffering the issue i think we need to rule out T6 owners for the time beeing. Those having a early T6 might have some input .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, but you I suggest you update your question to include "and have really looked by removing the seal" otherwise you'll get loads of false data..... 'Mine's fine but I haven't looked properly' type of thing.

I've had a proper check and not a bobble in sight. 2015 T5.

At the last club meet we checked many roofs of people that said they did not have corrosion, however when we checked thoroughly we found all of them actually did have corrosion starting under the seal. I personally think it is highly unlikely any van will escape this.

It would appear that 'most' T5 California owners (and sadly a growing number of T6) are blighted by the roof corrosion defect.
Whilst writing yet another letter of complaint to VWCV - I realised that (as far as I know) there doesn't seem to be any member comments which state that their Cali is corrosion free.
If you are one of the lucky ones (long may it continue) could you post vehicle age, paint colour, storage situation (majority of the time
- external/internal/carport and any suggestions/advice on anything you have done to 'maintain' your roof in good condition.

Edit:
So , we are looking for T5 owner(s) who is aware of the roof corrosion problem and is fully aware where and how to check , but most important he did check , and is free of the issue.
Any other comment stick to the general corrosion tread please.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-general-discussion.9000/page-167#post-200433
T6 owners are probally not keen on checking under the seal as they are affraid to damage things and the fact probally the most T6 owners are (not yet) suffering the issue i think we need to rule out T6 owners for the time beeing. Those having a early T6 might have some input .
Hi, for what's its worth I know of nine T6 owners who have been prepared/brave enough to look! Four show corrosion, five do not. Differing ages but still too many. I have found no correlating data (age, colour, miles, specification etc) so difficult to be conclusive but not a good omen.

Our Cali doesn't currently have any corrosion and I have removed the seal, 2015 T5.

Checked under the seal last weekend. No sign of corrosion (so far)- ..... I'm tempting fate by even typing this aren't I! Salsa Red Se. T5 2015.

My 2015 Beach (parked outside having slightly downhill) appears to be rust free, but I didn't buy it new, so could well have been repaired previously.....how would I know? It's on for service in a couple weeks, so I'll ask VW if it has been.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

My 2015 Beach (parked outside having slightly downhill) appears to be rust free, but I didn't buy it new, so could well have been repaired previously.....how would I know? It's on for service in a couple weeks, so I'll ask VW if it has been.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
You can ask them to check your roof- its part of their std service scope to check. You will find the scope in your service book.

Hi there,
I have had my 2014 cali in for the roof-corrosion-fix 3 or 4 times.
Now there are bubbles underneath the transparent plastic seal within 6 months of the fix.
Now my local Vw-shop refuses to do it once again since they have followed the instructions from Vw Germany. My next step is to get a quote from an independent workshop to see what the cost will be.

Now to my question; Has anyone succeeded with a corrosion-free roof after the fix?

Not an answer to your question I am afraid.

Our 2008 California has had small bubbles appear and then disappear over the 14 years I’ve owned it. I leave them alone. It isn’t rust.

VW seem to do a great job of making it worse.

Not an answer to your question I am afraid.

Our 2008 California has had small bubbles appear and then disappear over the 14 years I’ve owned it. I leave them alone. It isn’t rust.

VW seem to do a great job of making it worse.
Exactly my feeling. Its actually worse, since it starts to appear withing such a short time! :-(

New seal, transparent tape, and to let it dry for a longer period. Would this do the trick?
I will not let them bond the seal to the roof which they did one of the first times. It looked like sh*t and I had them redo it since its like hiding the problem.

But I was hoping that there was someone out there with an actual solution that works. anyone? :cool:

Back