Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you have a Kenwood DNX521DAB in your Cali?

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Be aware that if you do, Kenwood and VW are washing their hands of you with regard to bluetooth compatibility updates.

I have the current model iPhone 6 and this phone is not supported.

Despite it working happily for 6 months, on Friday it went into Bury St Edmunds Van Centre for an interim service, and came out not working.

I'm no fool with tech, and have tried everything I know to pair this thing again without success.

The van centre and Kenwood UK (according to the service manager) say this device is not supported.

I know that we have a representative from Kenwood on here, and I would love to hear if what I am being told is true?

Wow, good luck. For one of the most popular phones in the world to not be supported is crazy

Hello reserves. We have had problems pairing phones to our kenwood.

The only thing we found was to press the factory reset.
Then we deleted all paired phones, turned off, back on and started again. Then paired ok
Hope it works for you.

Good luck

Sue
Ps we also have problems with the satnav that reboots itself when driving and changes voices. We have to do reset for that as well

Last edited:
The unit is even "made for iPhone" certified... Ridiculous!!

State of the art two years ago, obsolete now... Beware new DNX525DAB owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is DNX525DAB or DNX521DAB as per title?
We specced the VW Sat Nav (RNS510) on our Cali order and was thinking of getting the Iphone 6 hope it works ok!?

Hi Rippers

The DNX521DAB was first available at the end of 2012, the DNX525DAB replaced it during 2014.

This topic is about the former, but while searching, I did notice that the DNX525DAB has the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus on the compatibility table.

Thanks

James

Ah! Confusion understood now, so you saying if you have the new one watch out it may only be good for a view years!

No iphone5s but running up to date software. Works every time since we deleted all phones, did factory reset and paired it again.

Be aware that if you do, Kenwood and VW are washing their hands of you with regard to bluetooth compatibility updates.

You should always wash your hands before and after dealing with anything! :rolleyes:

Come on, big brands can’t work like that! :headbang

I have the current model iPhone 6 and this phone is not supported.

That phone was not invented when the DNX521DAB was released (neither was the 5s if I recall?)

When you bring a product to market and you licence it with Apple for the “made for” certification it cannot be backdated – so when new Apple devices are launched we can’t certify it working.

That doesn’t mean it won’t work... just that I cannot guarantee it will! ;)

Despite it working happily for 6 months, on Friday it went into Bury St Edmunds Van Centre for an interim service, and came out not working.

So it did, and does work – something has just gone a miss or someone at the Van Centre has done something.

That’s not a problem, we will just have to work through some stuff to check everything’s as it should be! :cool:

I'm no fool with tech, and have tried everything I know to pair this thing again without success.

My turn! :bananadance

I know that we have a representative from Kenwood on here, and I would love to hear if what I am being told is true?

No, it’s not true, and I don’t want you to feel let down by VW or ourselves! :stop

The best way to deal with this is PM me directly on here some contact details and someone will be in contact.:cool::cool:

Bluetooth is a delicate technology – its only radio frequency and has two different devices and sets of software communicating and lots of other things can also interfere! I’m sure we can resolve it for you, and if we can’t over the phone or email you might get a visit from one of our engineers!

...Also - I know of a few people using DNX521/iPhone 6 with no reported issues, and we also provide software updates for older models in our range still (free of charge online!) - one of our big advantages over our competitors is updateable technology!

Lets get this sorted! :thumb

You should always wash your hands before and after dealing with anything! :rolleyes:

Come on, big brands can’t work like that! :headbang

That phone was not invented when the DNX521DAB was released (neither was the 5s if I recall?)

When you bring a product to market and you licence it with Apple for the “made for” certification it cannot be backdated – so when new Apple devices are launched we can’t certify it working.

That doesn’t mean it won’t work... just that I cannot guarantee it will! ;)

So it did, and does work – something has just gone a miss or someone at the Van Centre has done something.

That’s not a problem, we will just have to work through some stuff to check everything’s as it should be! :cool:

My turn! :bananadance

No, it’s not true, and I don’t want you to feel let down by VW or ourselves! :stop

The best way to deal with this is PM me directly on here some contact details and someone will be in contact.:cool::cool:

Bluetooth is a delicate technology – its only radio frequency and has two different devices and sets of software communicating and lots of other things can also interfere! I’m sure we can resolve it for you, and if we can’t over the phone or email you might get a visit from one of our engineers!

...Also - I know of a few people using DNX521/iPhone 6 with no reported issues, and we also provide software updates for older models in our range still (free of charge online!) - one of our big advantages over our competitors is updateable technology!

Lets get this sorted! :thumb

Thanks for your response!

Despite being told that it would never work by several people, I was eventually put in touch directly with one of your colleagues who walked me through a set of instructions to get the two devices talking again.

:thumb Great news!

(stands down crack team of engineers with parachutes!)

I have the DNX521DAB and have recently needed to update the firmware for my iPhone Bluetooth , the Engineer I dealt with gave helpful responses in a timely manor

Excellent service Kenwood - Keep it up:thumb

At coft last year I spoke to Kenwood engineer about an intermittent fault with my dab 521
Came over to my van within the hour together with tool box
Unit came out within no time at all,updated the system + was given a Kenwood goodie bag :happy
Turned out to be aux lead coming from unit in glove compartment
.........be careful not to catch lead when closing the glove compartment!!!

Alan

I have a DNX525DAB in my California beach. IDoes anybody know if there are any plans to support an Iphone 7+ in the future. Dont really want to have to get a new phone :-(

Back