Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does any body have one of these.

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Could someone tell me please do you own a Thule tow bar easy base and the box that goes on it.

Question.1. Is parking more difficult.
2. Can the easy base be secured and stop ratbags making off with it.
3. Will anyone with a Thule easy base be attending one of the meets.
4. How does it affect the reversing camera and sensors.
5. Or if anyone can show me pictures of a small trailer or the thule on the back of the cali that would be great.
6. I am thinking that when we are on a campsite then taking the box off and putting it in the side awning.
Then the thule easy base can be adjusted into the close position. ?

We've have been away twice now and we are either taking to much or there's not enough room.

Thank

John .

Sorry, can’t advise on the easy base. Your last comment is intriguing though (and I hope I’m not talking out of turn)- we find the van has plenty of room for self sufficient camping for four. It only becomes tricky when there is an “activity” eg sailing, scuba diving (in which case a roof box is enough)

With camper vans, less is more. Every item has to justify its place in the van. When we started out, we realised we took far too much stuff “just in case”. Just a thought.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Could someone tell me please do you own a Thule tow bar easy base and the box that goes on it.

Question.1. Is parking more difficult.
2. Can the easy base be secured and stop ratbags making off with it.
3. Will anyone with a Thule easy base be attending one of the meets.
4. How does it affect the reversing camera and sensors.
5. Or if anyone can show me pictures of a small trailer or the thule on the back of the cali that would be great.
6. I am thinking that when we are on a campsite then taking the box off and putting it in the side awning.
Then the thule easy base can be adjusted into the close position. ?

We've have been away twice now and we are either taking to much or there's not enough room.

Thank

John .
I would wait until you’ve been away a few more times! It’s very easy to take too many “essentials” and spares, “ just in case”. I tend to take far more than I need so every now and again have a review and purge!

Yes maybe we should take less and learn more.thanks

My easybase isn't adjustable for parking other than the fold down arm dropping down. It still isn't possible to open the tailgate as the the brackets for the fold down arm/bar stick up too far.

When you plug into the towing electrics the sensors are off but camera still on. I have the bag so can't comment on the box.

Parking is similar to having a bike carrier on the back, remember that you need more space behind especially if trees, bushes, vehicles etc . If a passenger is available play safe and get them to guide you.

For extra security I wrap a high grade bike securing steel plastic coated wire around the bag.
You can deter the opportunist thief but the 'professional' bolt cropper or battery powered disc cutter brigade will win out whatever you do. Valuable items shouldn't be put in an exterior box at any time.

Last edited: