Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone bother taking van in when the “inspection” indicator comes on?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Van will be 3 Yrs at the end of the month. I’ve got the 2 prepaid services (minor+major)

I had the first minor oil service at 2 years old 12,300 miles last May. The inspection light had also come on but the garage said they’d just lump the inspection/service together, so didn’t pay anything.

The Inspection indicator has come on again, but I have 340 days/18.8k miles to the next service.

if I have the inspection on it’s own without the service is it normally chargeable? I’m not sure there is much point as due to Covid and a few other factors I’ve only done 700 miles since the last service/inspection a year ago.

Are the inspections actually recorded as part of the service plan or am I ok just sticking to the minor/major oil services?

Dunno,
Mines on too at 2 yrs & 4,500 miles. Grateful for any advice , TIA. Db.

Check with Dealership regarding Warranty requirements. Outside Warranty then upto you.

Check with Dealership regarding Warranty requirements. Outside Warranty then upto you.
Did that, made contact in January with Listers + Detroitwich via their 'contact us' webpage, got a lovely Email back, all the bells & whistles, saying we will be in touch shortly, got another a fortnight later, all the bells & whistles, saying your query has been passed to the appropriate department, they will be in touch shortly....Since then, Lockdown.....It is now June. And Zilch, Niente. Hopeless.

I am in a similar situation, but my warranty runs to November 2020. I called my dealer Citygate Wooburn Green, they said in the current lock-down to ignore the oil change warning message and book for full service and MOT in November. You are probably going to book in your MOT soon, so your dealer should be able to advise.

The inspection warning came on about 4 weeks ago. Amarillo is booked in for "inspection" next week.

The whole regime baffles me, but as we are now on 56,000 miles after 3 years 3 months, service costs per mile seem pretty low. I think this will be the third of its four prepaid services, plus I paid for a service in Spain, plus I paid for a DSG service at about 50,000 miles...

I’m also confused by this. We’ve done 12k miles and the van is 20months old. Inspection warning is there. Oil change still some time left. Decided to book it in for a service but now wondering if I could have waited longer.

Seems a long time to have never been serviced. I think I’ll do the same as I’ve done with our other cars and service annually whatever. I’ve had the van 13 months now so it’s about time. It’s worked for my 7 year old golf still running perfectly at 80k. everything I read about long term reliability it’s about changing the oil often. I’ll go independent once warranty is up. VW dealers not near me and trust the independent more having used them for ten years, they got me out of a few scrapes with my ageing Saab before the van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's due an MOT. These days many franchised garages do a quick inspection service at the same time. It's very often free as it gives them the opportunity to point out work that they will probably be asked to carry out. So check with your dealer. Also the MOT itself covers most things that the inspection service would including condition of tyres, brake efficiency, steering, lighting etc . Save your prepaids for later.

I’m also confused by this. We’ve done 12k miles and the van is 20months old. Inspection warning is there. Oil change still some time left. Decided to book it in for a service but now wondering if I could have waited longer.

Seems a long time to have never been serviced. I think I’ll do the same as I’ve done with our other cars and service annually whatever. I’ve had the van 13 months now so it’s about time. It’s worked for my 7 year old golf still running perfectly at 80k. everything I read about long term reliability it’s about changing the oil often. I’ll go independent once warranty is up. VW dealers not near me and trust the independent more having used them for ten years, they got me out of a few scrapes with my ageing Saab before the van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was in the same situation with similar mileage and would have meant having the inspection, then 3-4 months later having the first oil service, so I just waited for the first service at 2 yrs and they lumped it together under the first pre-paid service

The inspection warning came on about 4 weeks ago. Amarillo is booked in for "inspection" next week.

The whole regime baffles me, but as we are now on 56,000 miles after 3 years 3 months, service costs per mile seem pretty low. I think this will be the third of its four prepaid services, plus I paid for a service in Spain, plus I paid for a DSG service at about 50,000 miles...
When I bought the Cali and checked into the service plan they said it covered the first minor oil service and then the next major oil service. I wouldn’t waste your 4 services on inspections.

What does "inspection" actually mean? My T5.1 manual refers to it, and explains how to reset the dash reminder, but doesn't explicitly spell out what should be inspected. Services with oil change are a separate indicator, so presumably they must be different.
The manual said:
Service schedules at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles are divided into two categories, oil change service and inspections. The service interval display provides information on the next service which includes an oil change and on the next scheduled inspection.

Van will be 3 Yrs at the end of the month. I’ve got the 2 prepaid services (minor+major)

I had the first minor oil service at 2 years old 12,300 miles last May. The inspection light had also come on but the garage said they’d just lump the inspection/service together, so didn’t pay anything.

The Inspection indicator has come on again, but I have 340 days/18.8k miles to the next service.

if I have the inspection on it’s own without the service is it normally chargeable? I’m not sure there is much point as due to Covid and a few other factors I’ve only done 700 miles since the last service/inspection a year ago.

Are the inspections actually recorded as part of the service plan or am I ok just sticking to the minor/major oil services?
Service for brake fluid 3 j

Yes I do.
After 2 years or 30000 km. In normal years I manage to get close to 14000 km per year. I should have had about 150000 km this year around the service, but I only got 145000km. Even if you don't drive the van for 2 years you should have your oil changed. The oil will lose it's viscosity, while driving or when standing still.

I will never cut out on maintenance of the van.
2 years/30000 km for full service (I think this vans may drive 40000km between services).
Tyres when needed.
Brake pads and disks when needed.
Brake fluid every 2 years. I don't want water to disturb the working power of the brake fluid.
I don't want to encounter brake failure due to water in the brake lines, and scrap my van because I was too avaricious (<- ? thanks Google Translate) for 1,15 liters of brake fluid.
I changed my fuel filter after 6 years (about 90000 km), and the fuel in it was as clear as it came out the gas station (I always fill my van on warehouse stations, or the lowest price stations in the neighbourhood).
But you never know what is in the filter, and the filter is about 25 - 30 cm long, so it can contain a lot of debris.

Other things, like broken or damaged I will repair (if possible) or replace (original or decent quality 3rd party parts).

I want to keep my van in the best condition as possible, even near regardless of the costs.

Why spend over €50000 on a van just to whine about €1000 on costs for a repair?
If that is what you want, buy a scrapyard car and drive it till it falls apart.

But that is only my vision.

I spoke to VW and the local van center.

VW didn’t seem to know what the inspection meant, but confirmed it was nothing to do with the service plan.

VW van center said it was an annual inspection for extra peace of mind given I was on the flexible 2yr plan. Cost is £99+vat. They don’t actually change any filters/fluids etc., and personally I think it is a bit of a waste of time and likely created to bring them extra revenue.

When I pushed them, they confirmed it was optional and not part of the service regime. I’m pretty mechanically minded and keep an eye on tyres, fluids etc., so I think I’ll pass.

The warranty expires next week and the only issue I have is a few trim clips have fallen out of the headlining which is very common and they said they weren’t sure if they were covered under warranty anyway. For £2 I can get some better quality replacements on eBay, so I’ll save myself the hassle and expense of a trip to the van center.

Post number three explains the inspection vs service scenario

Quite frankly, I think this is the latest gimmick to rip you off. Now they tell you in the dashboard, when you neey to bring the car in for you to be ripped off. You are a cow that needs to be milked from time to time. Fine with oil change every 2 years or 20k miles. But in between? Come on..
Never heard of brake fluids change during my first 20 years of driving, yet i was driving old cars like i stole them because i had no money, even less good judgment. Brakes never failed on me becsuse of old oil.
Now with fancier new cars i need to change .... brakes oil?
Oh wait , i spent 80k € on a van, and more on a car, then I should accept to get ripped off even further..

Quite frankly, I think this is the latest gimmick to rip you off. Now they tell you in the dashboard, when you neey to bring the car in for you to be ripped off. You are a cow that needs to be milked from time to time. Fine with oil change every 2 years or 20k miles. But in between? Come on..
Never heard of brake fluids change during my first 20 years of driving, yet i was driving old cars like i stole them because i had no money, even less good judgment. Brakes never failed on me becsuse of old oil.
Now with fancier new cars i need to change .... brakes oil?
Oh wait , i spent 80k € on a van, and more on a car, then I should accept to get ripped off even further..
I copied this off the web. "Brake fluid is a hygroscopic fluid - meaning that it absorbs water over time reducing its effectiveness. If the fluid is not changed before the water content reaches the 3% mark, the water brings down the normal boiling point of the brake fluid and air bubbles are created as a result."

So air can be compressed whilst hydralic fluid cannot therfore the presence of air bubbles would eventually cause a spongy brake pedal and less effective brakes.

Having said that like you I never used to change it either.

If the fluid is not changed before the water content reaches the 3% mark, the water brings down the normal boiling point of the brake fluid and air bubbles are created as a result."

There is quite a bit of brake fluid. There is a tiny bit of air in the reservoir which may contain humidity. It's a long way before it gets to be at 3% level, and it is a close circuit.
Despite having easy access to the german Autobahn, i don't brake so hard so repeatedly to get brake pads so glowing hot to bring the brake fluid close to his boiling point.
But hey, i am no engineer, so don' t trust me.
We should trust those VW engineers because they are professional and would never cheat you. Oh wait...

There is quite a bit of brake fluid. There is a tiny bit of air in the reservoir which may contain humidity. It's a long way before it gets to be at 3% level, and it is a close circuit.
Despite having easy access to the german Autobahn, i don't brake so hard so repeatedly to get brake pads so glowing hot to bring the brake fluid close to his boiling point.
But hey, i am no engineer, so don' t trust me.
We should trust those VW engineers because they are professional and would never cheat you. Oh wait...
Please don't shoot the messenger, I was merely highlighting why a periodic brake fluid change is recommended.

You could probably go the whole life of the vehicle without changing the brake fluid but why pay a King's ransom for a Cali only to penny pinch on the correct servicing regime?

when they change brake fluid I suspect they just syringe it out of the reservoir and tip some new stuff in. that means all the old fluid is still in the lines. do you think they go round and bleed all the old fluid out of each cylinder ? I doubt it. as usual probably best to do it yourself if you think it needs doing.
as for inspection I just ignore it.
as for spending 50k plus on a van and ignoring future costs I never spent that much on mine but still wasn't easy raising that much cash for a vehicle. as pointed out just because you did doesn't mean you should constantly get your leg lifted by VW afterwards
20k cam belt change anyone ?

Last edited:
I’ve just been to SMG Tonbridge for my inspection. They sent me away telling me to look up on YouTube how to reset the inspection, and to return in 6000 miles for the proper service.

To reset Inspection.

Key in ignition, but ignition off.
Hazard lights on.
Press and hold 0.0/SET.
Ignition on.
Release 0.0/SET
Press OK.

2017 Beach with MFSW

Some of the comments/rants are verging on the ridiculous, something out of Monty Python. The California is a manufacturers conversion of a Commercial Vehicle. Service intervals are milage and quality determined as for the oil change. Milage or time for other items (DSG) or just time as in the case of the Service Inspection.
Some Transporters can have 5+/- oil changes a year because of their milage so possibly 10 oil services to every Inspection. The fact that most California spend half their life on the drive/garage or in a storage compound is hardly VWs fault. Some owners, judging by some of the questions asked, probably don't know how to open the bonnet so a bi-annual check for them should be top of the list.
In fact the lower the milage the more important ALL these checks and service items become as far as I am concerned.
No one is forcing you to do these checks and if you can do them yourself then we'll done you. But if you are not capable or don't want to then pay someone to do it.
As far as Dieselgate is concerned, we'll done clever VW for pulling the wool over the eyes of the hypocrite Liberal elite who do more damage to the environment, not climate but environment, than VW did with their clever software, with their lifestyle. A bit too much of Do what I say not Do as I do.

Back