Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does Candy White paint form a thicker layer?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I can see no logical reason why one paint colour thickness should be any different from any other or for that matter be applied any differently. As far as I am aware all VW Transporter based vehicles take the same journey through what is almost certainly a fully automated paint spraying plant. However, some years ago I was either told or read that white paint has a thicker layer. I cannot remember how I learned that or the reason but I'm guessing it may have been during a visit to the Ford plant at Dagenham. I don't know if there is any truth in this but the arrival of our new duo colour Beach has got me wondering.

We collected it just over a week ago and since then it has remained on our driveway awaiting the many commissioning jobs that I insist must be done before we start using it properly. Having family staying and the never ending monsoon has stopped me from getting on with this work! However on the odd occasion when it has stopped raining I have been out to have a poke around. During a quick examination the other day I noticed the the inside of the bonnet had a fully painted finish (Candy White). Both of our previous vans, a T5 SE in Pearlescent Black and a T6 Beach in Acapulco Blue, just had an under bonnet primer coat. Why the difference?

Being duo colour it's basically a white van with Starlight Blue sprayed over the lower half. So in that respect it does have a thicker paint layer however my question relates to the Candy White paint finish. Does anyone know the answer?

The primer coat isnt a primer coat its the basecoat. Metallic is basecoat and lacquer on top so they save a few quid and only lacquer the outside normally visible bits. Candy is probably a single coat non metallic Im guessing so no lacquer is added ie a single coat process. Metallic white will be base and lacquer.

The primer coat isnt a primer coat its the basecoat. Metallic is basecoat and lacquer on top so they save a few quid and only lacquer the outside normally visible bits. Candy is probably a single coat non metallic Im guessing so no lacquer is added ie a single coat process. Metallic white will be base and lacquer.
All new vehicles these days are basecoat and laquer nothing is solid anymore even white .

I really don't know about the technicalities of vehicle paint but what I can say is that the under bonnet colour on our two previous vans wasn't unlaquered Pearlescent Black and Acapulco Blue respectively. Instead they were both the same colour which from memory was a greeny grey matt colour. The Candy white paint finish under the bonnet of our latest Cali appears to be as good as the exterior finish. Unless the robotic spay guns have been reprogrammed for MY19 vehicles why is the Candy White spray process different?

I have worked in an OEM high volume robotic paint shop and the whole vehicle is painted in one go. The only bit that was done later was the contrasting roof (option) which was applied after manually masking the body and sending it down another line. But this was easier as the joint is hidden by windscreen and body trim.

I suspect that the two tone goes through first as a candy then gets masked manually and goes down another line for base colour then into lacquer.

I agree but
I’m not sure the California does.
I may be wrong?

Don’t know?
From memory I think the underside of the bonnet on our last candy white t6 cali was base coated only.
(none shiny)
can’t really say I noticed to be honest?
Maybe it’s something to do with the 2tone?.
Say you have a met blue and candy Van they may use a blue bonnet and repaint the underside of the bonnet candy rather than using a candy bonnet and painting the outside blue?
Just guessing but it would be cheaper to repaint the underside of the bonnet candy than the outside metallic?
You may think the whole vehicle is painted in one go but as far as I’m aware there pained without panels doors ect the two tones of white and ect start life as just candy and are re painted
I was told by our dealer that the duo colours go through the paint shop twice. UK bound duo colour Calis all start off as white vans they then get masked up and go through the paint process again to have the lower half painted. The bonnets are always white.

I was told by our dealer that the duo colours go through the paint shop twice. UK bound duo colour Calis all start off as white vans they then get masked up and go through the paint process again to have the lower half painted. The bonnets are always white.
Yep you’re correct borris,
That’s exactly what they do
They go through and then get re masked and painted again.then laquered...
I was thinking the bonnet was in in the two tone colour but it’s up to the swage only on the sides with a top half coloured bonnet.
I just googled it then realised the bonnet isn’t painted
In that case maybe vw have started shiny finishing underside of the bonnet but I do know most metallics are left in basecoat only.
It’s a cost saving thing normally... the earlier vehicles were always fully painted in these areas....

Yes, I was discussing this with Rick when looking at his two tone at the highlands end meet. I had a close look to see which way they had painted it and probably why the high cost of the two tone option.

Yep you’re correct borris,
That’s exactly what they do
They go through and then get re masked and painted again.then laquered...
I was thinking the bonnet was in in the two tone colour but it’s up to the swage only on the sides with a top half coloured bonnet.
I just googled it then realised the bonnet isn’t painted
In that case maybe vw have started shiny finishing underside of the bonnet but I do know most metallics are left in basecoat only.
It’s a cost saving thing normally... the earlier vehicles were always fully painted in these areas....
I'd be interested in whether all MY19 Calis are now given the top coat treatment under the bonnet?
Also is there ant truth in my question about Candy white being a thicker paint layer?

Yes, I was discussing this with Rick when looking at his two tone at the highlands end meet. I had a close look to see which way they had painted it and probably why the high cost of the two tone option.
Yes, it must be quite time consuming to mask it all up manually. Still the end result is very nicely finished.

It is a nice finish I got a real close look at one in Liverpool vw a while back it’s done very well.nice masking lines .
Not sure why or if the white is a thicker coat of paint? maybe?
White like yellow can be quite transparent in the first few coats so maybe it’s has a bit more paint on?

I have two factory two tones and the finish is excellent. However the masking is shoddy. Each one is different and the paint line between white and bottom colour is wonky. You can see masking is done manually. The guys who wrapped my third Cali did a much better job than VW did. Next I'll just buy a complete candy white and get it wrapped better quality and about £1000 cheaper!

Hi Darryl
A bit off topic but
When you get one wrapped how does it look ???
most wraps I have seen are of the matte or satin type ..
Can these wraps look like paint by gloss levels or do they not shine like paint.
Also when wrapping do they guarantee they will not cut into or damage the paint underneath?
I’m curious as we have a 6.1 candy white on order.and it’s just nice to know it’s a great base colour for having it wrapped if I ever wanted.I would always want to know I can remove it if I wanted too.

I really don't know about the technicalities of vehicle paint but what I can say is that the under bonnet colour on our two previous vans wasn't unlaquered Pearlescent Black and Acapulco Blue respectively. Instead they were both the same colour which from memory was a greeny grey matt colour. The Candy white paint finish under the bonnet of our latest Cali appears to be as good as the exterior finish. Unless the robotic spay guns have been reprogrammed for MY19 vehicles why is the Candy White spray process different?
My Candy White 2015 SE is also the same finish both sides of the bonnet but have never bought anything of it.
Could it be something to do with it being a std colour as opposed to an option?

My Candy White 2015 SE is also the same finish both sides of the bonnet but have never bought anything of it.
Could it be something to do with it being a std colour as opposed to an option?
It could be but I'm struggling to think of a reason why the painting process would be any different.

Hi Darryl
A bit off topic but
When you get one wrapped how does it look ???
most wraps I have seen are of the matte or satin type ..
Can these wraps look like paint by gloss levels or do they not shine like paint.
Also when wrapping do they guarantee they will not cut into or damage the paint underneath?
I’m curious as we have a 6.1 candy white on order.and it’s just nice to know it’s a great base colour for having it wrapped if I ever wanted.I would always want to know I can remove it if I wanted too.
It looks fantastic. You would never know it wasn't paint. My wrap is glossy and can be washed, waxed and even machine polished but obviously need to be careful. They cannot guarantee that you won't have issues with the original paintwork and that's understandable because it's all to do with how well that original paintwork has been prepared and applied. If I removed the wrap and the original paintwork peeled off then thats not the wraps fault.

Back