Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the alarm work when roof is up awning out?

Ocean-Devotion

Ocean-Devotion

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We're off for our first overnight stay, if we head off out for walk can we set the alarm using the fob if the roof is raised and awning rolled out? Or will we return to angry camping neighbours as the alarm has been activated?

We're off for our first overnight stay, if we head off out for walk can we set the alarm using the fob if the roof is raised and awning rolled out? Or will we return to angry camping neighbours as the alarm has been activated?
Hi Ocean-Devotion, we always check to make sure the light on the switch beside the driver's side door pillar is showing orange. I checked the instructions a while ago now, but I think this de-activates the internal sensors but still has the alarm set for the doors. It would be worth checking your manual just to see what it says on your model.

I prefer to deactivate the interior sensors if leaving the van with roof up.

The switch is behind the drivers seat on the pillar. Activate or deactivate from the drivers door, not inside the van. Glows red - activated, orange - deactivated.

Most on here would say to wind in your awning before leaving the van unattended. A sudden gust of wind can cause proper damage to van and awning.

I never deactivate my alarm. As far as I know it's never gone off when I've left the van with the roof up.

On one of our first trips years ago we left the roof up as we went biking for hours. Coming back we were "greeted" by angry camping neighbours; they enjoyed the alarm every three minutes or so, because a fly was happy flying in the interior.

Two lessons learned: always deactivate the alarm when leaving the van at a camping; and: ask your dealer to lower the sensitivity of the alarm, so that the fly can keep enjoying his flights inside the van.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Hi Ocean-Devotion, we always check to make sure the light on the switch beside the driver's side door pillar is showing orange. I checked the instructions a while ago now, but I think this de-activates the internal sensors but still has the alarm set for the doors. It would be worth checking your manual just to see what it says on your model.
Thank you, all set up and off for a walk.

On one of our first trips years ago we left the roof up as we went biking for hours. Coming back we were "greeted" by angry camping neighbours; they enjoyed the alarm every three minutes or so, because a fly was happy flying in the interior.

Two lessons learned: always deactivate the alarm when leaving the van at a camping; and: ask your dealer to lower the sensitivity of the alarm, so that the fly can keep enjoying his flights inside the van.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Thank you Marc

I prefer to deactivate the interior sensors if leaving the van with roof up.

The switch is behind the drivers seat on the pillar. Activate or deactivate from the drivers door, not inside the van. Glows red - activated, orange - deactivated.
Thank you

Most on here would say to wind in your awning before leaving the van unattended. A sudden gust of wind can cause proper damage to van and awning.
:Iamsorry But I Disagree as regards winding in the awning if the van is left unattended, every time. Sure, if a storm is expected then consider that , BUT, if properly pegged with proper guy ropes and proper pegs, not these Micky mouse wire pegs, but proper Rock Pegs, and then properly tensioned it can withstand a lot more than the occasional windy gust.

:Iamsorry But I Disagree as regards winding in the awning if the van is left unattended, every time. Sure, if a storm is expected then consider that , BUT, if properly pegged with proper guy ropes and proper pegs, not these Micky mouse wire pegs, but proper Rock Pegs, and then properly tensioned it can withstand a lot more than the occasional windy gust.
I bow to your greater experience. :)

I bow to your greater experience. :)
Which isn't said with sarcasm or anything! (Read back it could have sounded that way!). I never used my awning much so didn't have loads of experience. Had just heard some horror stories on here so was erring on the side of caution.

If alarm set i usually pull bed down and pull hatch across. Never had it gone off .

I have found that when the roof is opened on the ocean it activates the orange light and deactivates the motion sensor.
I thought that also as I've never used the B Pillar switch when the roof was up. I'll check next time.:thumb

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Marc (or others), do you know if the alarm sensitivity can be changed with VCDS? If so guidance would be welcome.

Thanks,

Rod

Welsh, is that so? We just got a wind-out Thule awning fitted yesterday, having got so sick of the kador-strip-attached one blowing out in the slightest breeze. The Thule one is a much more solid and heavy piece of kit. It would be good to be confident that it can be left out (with ratchet straps or guy lines & rock pegs) without risk of blowing out (which could cause serious damage!).

Welsh, is that so? We just got a wind-out Thule awning fitted yesterday, having got so sick of the kador-strip-attached one blowing out in the slightest breeze. The Thule one is a much more solid and heavy piece of kit. It would be good to be confident that it can be left out (with ratchet straps or guy lines & rock pegs) without risk of blowing out (which could cause serious damage!).
Well 6 people have " Agreed " with my statement so far. Obviously if a Storm is forecast then it might be advisable to wind it in, but the original comment was related to winding the awning in everytime you left the van unattended.
I have a simple tarpaulin type awning I use when the weather is stormy etc: ÂŁ80 in total that provides protection if needed. Others wind out the awning about 1m and peg it down properly with guy ropes etc: as a simple storm porch in stormy weather.

Well 6 people have " Agreed " with my statement so far. Obviously if a Storm is forecast then it might be advisable to wind it in, but the original comment was related to winding the awning in everytime you left the van unattended.
I have a simple tarpaulin type awning I use when the weather is stormy etc: ÂŁ80 in total that provides protection if needed. Others wind out the awning about 1m and peg it down properly with guy ropes etc: as a simple storm porch in stormy weather.
That's great, thank you - I'm not disputing it! Just looking for reassurance. I think if we were even going out for the day in a windy place (eg the various windy islands we seem to keep visiting) I'd wind it back in, but otherwise it would be good to be able to leave it. The idea of winding it in a bit is useful too.

I'm thinking of getting side and front panels (or making them) for it, which would presumably add to the stability.

That's great, thank you - I'm not disputing it! Just looking for reassurance. I think if we were even going out for the day in a windy place (eg the various windy islands we seem to keep visiting) I'd wind it back in, but otherwise it would be good to be able to leave it. The idea of winding it in a bit is useful too.

I'm thinking of getting side and front panels (or making them) for it, which would presumably add to the stability.
I'm not so sure about it being more stable with side panels. I don't use them so cannot comment, but it would put more lateral force on the structure, whereas with just the awning you tend to get a lifting or downward force which can be overcome/stabilised by adequate pegging and tensioning guy ropes.

I'm not so sure about it being more stable with side panels. I don't use them so cannot comment, but it would put more lateral force on the structure, whereas with just the awning you tend to get a lifting or downward force which can be overcome/stabilised by adequate pegging and tensioning guy ropes.
The problem we were having with the old slot-in awning was that it was ripping out at the ends - same thing happens with our drive-away awning tent. The wind-out one is altogether heavier and more solid, as well as (hopefully) securely fixed to the van. Trying it out on Dartmoor this coming weekend.

Yes it can, if I remember well my dealer lowered the sensitivity per VCDS to 50 percent. Still strong enough to wake the alarm when sticking an arm into an opened window, and low enough to ignore insects.

Marc.

Marc (or others), do you know if the alarm sensitivity can be changed with VCDS? If so guidance would be welcome.

Thanks,

Rod

I have found that when the roof is opened on the ocean it activates the orange light and deactivates the motion sensor.

I'm reading this as "it does it automatically" is that correct? I'll need check to if that's the case.

..me..

I'm reading this as "it does it automatically" is that correct? I'll need check to if that's the case.

..me..
It does on my T5.1. Checked it. If you think about it, it should, because there is nothing specific about the alarm when camping with roof up in the dedicated California Handbook.