• Summer only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I am amazed at how few Cali's I see on the road once the winter hits, this made me wonder how many of us stop using them come October time? Do some of you put your Cali away for the winter?

This is a wind up, right...???

I am amazed at how few Cali's I see on the road once the winter hits, this made me wonder how many of us stop using them come October time? Do some of you put your Cali away for the winter?

Absolutelybloodynot... Before the Cali we had a big motorhome. It earned its keep Summer and Winter. If you wait for good weather in the UK you will die of old age before you go anywhere.

Lucky if ours has a day a week without leaving the drive

Last edited:
I think you've got to be seriously well off (or in receipt of a nice pension lump sum) to be able to justify buying a brand new Cali for summer use only, especially if it's only odd weeks, weekends and bank holidays.

I'm with @Trailertrash, it needs to earn it's keep!

Goodness, I cannot bear being parted from my dear Albert for more than a day, let alone weeks or months... ❤️ Be still my beating heart, be still.....

Definitely not, it's a great machine that needs to be used, as said above it's a lot of money to spend to sit on the drive for months. We love the short winter trips to breaks up the monotony of just being at home in the gloomy weather. You don't have to go far or for long but the change of scenery is refreshing.

Surely the pure and simple idea of it is maximum versatility. A vehicle capable of nearly everything you want (apart from speed!). If you only use it in the summer then why not have a motorhome or save money and get a tent?
All year round for me and all uses. I even use it as a car share 4 up on a 100 mile commute once a week, and when it is at work it turns into my mobile canteen!

I thought it would and had a nice plan for charging it every month.
Things went a bit awry when Miss Ellie came into season earlier than expected so we spent 3 weeks (with Cali) in the Netherlands and Belgium visiting friends and meeting her betrothed. Then, like others, in the winter snow started using it as as opposed to the none 4WD other vehicle. Now also planning the last trip before pups to visit folks. So in 10 months 9000 miles, 82 nights away of which 51 sleeping in the Cali.

Big white Hymer in the winter, little Blackberry Cali in the summer.

The poll seems to suggest most use them all year round. It is a lot of money for occasional use I guess. There is a lovely red cali stored at the secure compound where I keep my T25, it is always there I wonder if it ever gets used.

I've seen 3 or 4 calis in the last week, more than usual. Maybe I just got better at spotting them.

They are out there but heavily camouflaged. If ours is anything to go by they are usually covered in a thick coating of muck during the winter months so look like your average builders van.

We spent a few days in Oxford with friends last week. By the time we got back, our gorgeous shiny pearlescent black Cali looked like it had just finished the Monte Carlo rally. I took it to the Morrisons jet washer for a good wash and brush up but by the time I had driven the six miles back home via our local country lanes it was totally plastered again. :headbang

I feel your pain Borris, I spent hours washing mine Saturday ready for Camper mart, 50 minute drive to Telford it was a salt covered mess again.

The poll seems to suggest most use them all year round. It is a lot of money for occasional use I guess. There is a lovely red cali stored at the secure compound where I keep my T25, it is always there I wonder if it ever gets used.

I've seen 3 or 4 calis in the last week, more than usual. Maybe I just got better at spotting them.
I think the Poll is giving a slightly skewed result. Probably the Owners of any Hibernating Californias are also Hibernating, so not voting.:)

Might be mine? Marsh Farm?

They are out there but heavily camouflaged. If ours is anything to go by they are usually covered in a thick coating of muck during the winter months so look like your average builders van.

We spent a few days in Oxford with friends last week. By the time we got back, our gorgeous shiny pearlescent black Cali looked like it had just finished the Monte Carlo rally. I took it to the Morrisons jet washer for a good wash and brush up but by the time I had driven the six miles back home via our local country lanes it was totally plastered again. :headbang
Just speed reading some of this and thought it said you were plastered again :kiss .....
Lesley

Each to their own. We are lucky that the Cali is our third vehicle so we have no need to use it other than for holidays/weekends and days out when the mood fits. We could have bought a motorhome but the Cali fits our needs (and our drive) and residuals are much stronger than MH's.
We plan on keeping it a long time and going away much more when our teenage daughters have their own plans, so we're in no hurry to rack the mileage up. This time of year it tends not to get used unless the weather is good.
The way I see it the money we save on accommodation by using the Cali for weekends and holidays covers a fair chunk of the running costs/depreciation, plus we prefer the Cali to hotels etc.

dc139d8d0fc596030c8802c3c87cb22e.jpg

Our Cali likes winter!

I'll start with huge respect for those who do camp all year round. I'm another one who tucks up their Cali for winter The Cali replaced a roof tent for our Defender and we (plus 2 dogs) are still marvelling at how much easier life is with a Cali, but haven't yet extended our season into winter (despite 4motion and an excellent roof topper) - OK, I'll get my coat and book somewhere now....

I'll start with huge respect for those who do camp all year round. I'm another one who tucks up their Cali for winter The Cali replaced a roof tent for our Defender and we (plus 2 dogs) are still marvelling at how much easier life is with a Cali, but haven't yet extended our season into winter (despite 4motion and an excellent roof topper) - OK, I'll get my coat and book somewhere now....
Apart from the cold walk to the usually heated campsite shower block, it isn't any hardship at all. With the heater on, the Cali is warm and comfortable and if you don't fancy cooking inside there's always the pub. I would suggest an internal roof liner though. They make a massive difference.

I did not vote the poll , but mine is in since november...but always ready to go.
We only use ours for trips so no daily driver . Don't care if a expencive verhicle sits in the garage for 10 months ...when i use it ....i use it what it's disigned for .
It's not disigned to go load up a ikea-kitchen or as workers van.
I travel-eat-sleep-and even sh&t(on the PP that is) in my Cali in the most beautiful places when i feel to it .
Very happy to leave it parked up when not needed.

Apart from the cold walk to the usually heated campsite shower block, it isn't any hardship at all. With the heater on, the Cali is warm and comfortable and if you don't fancy cooking inside there's always the pub. I would suggest an internal roof liner though. They make a massive difference.

Recommendation on internal roof liner? and does the roof fold down fine with them still fitted?

Agree warm and comfortable, and pubs are a must, but still struggle with the concept of letting wet and muddy dogs anywhere near the inside!!

Hello AndyandLuce,
I only have experience of the Brandrup Isotop internal liner. They are expensive but totally briliant. They are an excellent fit, keep the upper deck dry, warm, draught free and darker on bright mornings. Comfortz also make one which I suggest you also check out.
Once fitted you can forget it as it goes up and down with the roof with no issues at all.
Geraldine, our Cali dog, is a stuffed fabric one that my wife made. She usually sits on the back seat and makes no mess at all. She is a Red Sitter and I can thoroughly recommend one.
image.jpeg

I have indeed been hibernating along with my van. Still working stupid hours so winter weekends are for catching up with friends...and housework, never mind fixing the house! However, I'm taking the van for a trip to work tomorrow as long as the gritters haven't been out....we're getting known to VW Assist for a flat battery!
Winter is also for planning for summer. And if time allows, this year I'll make my midge door!
I can't wait to jump in and drive Fred.....he still has that special new smell! He's gorgeous.

Our cali is there because it gives us the opportunity to go whenever we want (if work allows us) wherever we want.

Three weeks ago to the Belgian Ardennes to enjoy the snow and last week more or less work-related trip to Slovakia where we stayed at a Bavarian parking at -14 (dropped even to -17 in the middle of the night)

50680519018__233425C9-E77E-4344-A96F-89CC4A4A551C.JPG.jpeg

Slept very well under my duvet, even without the heating turned on.

Back