Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dog Guard for T6 rear shelf

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all ,

For the last year HUGO has enjoyed sitting on his soft bed on the rear shelf, he likes to look out the window. I've done 15000 in it's first year and my Cali 'Noah' has its birthday tomorrow . In that time never had an issue travelling with HUGO loose on the rear shelf . However a Belgium friend has said its not legal (in Belgium ) not to secure ones dog in some way .

So two questions for a sage VW dog owner .

1) Is it a legal requirement for a dog to be either behind a grill or attached with a belt in some way ?

2) Can anyone recommend a grill which would work with a T6 and go between the rear shelf and the rear headrests ? ideally which can be opened as HUGO likes to climb in and over from the sliding door entry and up and over via the rear seat .

Shortly driving up to Lapland with HUGO and want to get prepared :)

Thank you...HUGO.JPG

Nibor

It's not legal in many countries (and so it should) to drive with a dog unattached or not in a bench/behind a fixed mesh .

We use a foldable crate that sits on the floor behind the front seats so we keep contact with Mieke at all time while driving .
Used a harnas in the seatbelt clip on the rear seat but stopped using this as she kept trying to jump out the seat hanging in the harnass...

There has been people who made a DIY dog gard behind the rear seat in the Cali .
Have a look in the dog section ?

A foldable crate is a good thing , you can always set it up on a campsite next the Cali if needed , or in case of emergency when something happens to you abroad or in worste case breakdown or accident and someone else needs to look out for your dog its handy you can put him in a crate

It's not legal in many countries (and so it should) to drive with a dog unattached or not in a bench/behind a fixed mesh .

We use a foldable crate that sits on the floor behind the front seats so we keep contact with Mieke at all time while driving .
Used a harnas in the seatbelt clip on the rear seat but stopped using this as she kept trying to jump out the seat hanging in the harnass...

There has been people who made a DIY dog gard behind the rear seat in the Cali .
Have a look in the dog section ?

A foldable crate is a good thing , you can always set it up on a campsite next the Cali if needed , or in case of emergency when something happens to you abroad or in worste case breakdown or accident and someone else needs to look out for your dog its handy you can put him in a crate
Thanks very much , I would have gone for a crate but Hugo now 3 years old isnt used to one and I think I know he would not like it .. I will look at the dog section too

We have one like this
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/dog-crate-for-t6-ocean.20137/#post-230161

Lightweight , in fabric , easy to set up with zippers , folds down fully flat and stays on the rear shelf when not in use
In general dogs like to be in there own shelter/cocoon once they are used to it.
If you get one set it up at home allowing him to go in/out whenever he feels like without closing him in .
Afther a while he will love his own private shelter

I would have gone for a crate but Hugo now 3 years old isnt used to one and I think I know he would not like it .

Much easier than you might think to solve this....buy a crate the right size, put his blankets in there, tie the door open for the first week or two (so he doesn’t get locked in accidentally) and start to feed him in there every time. Occasionally hide his favourite treat in the crate for him to ‘find’.

You’ll soon find he goes in with no encouragement and not long after will settle down for a sleep.

Then start shutting the door for a min or two to start with and build up from there.

The great thing is you’ve created a ‘safe place’ for him that you can take anywhere.

You didn’t not need to keep finding him in there but random hidden treats are a good idea to maintain interest.

Of all the things to train a dog this is one of the easiest and also most useful, especially if you travel with your dog.

Good luck!

Is it a legal requirement for a dog to be either behind a grill or attached with a belt in some way ?

Well, Highway Code rule 57: “When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly." However that is not a statute and you can't be prosecuted for breaching the Highway Code.

More broadly, Road Traffic Act section 104: "No person shall drive or cause or permit any other person to drive, a motor vehicle on a road if he is in such a position that he cannot have proper control of the vehicle or have a full view of the road and traffic ahead." That would be the prosecutable offence, but the prosecution would have to prove that a 'loose' dog in your car actually placed you in that position on that partricular occasion.

So I don't think UK law actually requires you to have your dog tether or barriered in any particular way. If you are fully confident that the dog is going to stay put in the back (eg it's an old dog, or a very well disciplined one) then I don't see how you could be prosecuted simply for not having a dog guard or harness.

I'm just saying what I think the UK law is on this, not what's sensible: you have to decide that for yourself.

If you choose not to follow the highway code however it can go against you in a court of law if you were prosecuted for an accident or similar. More importantly the best behaved dog isnt going to be able to prevent momentum from turning them into a missile if you brake hard.

I know from talking to emergency services that people have suffered serious injury (and worse) from being hit by their own pets.

Personally for me too the boot isn't somewhere I want my dogs, again after talking to emergency personnel's experiences. Ours have seatbelts basically but I know not everyone has that luxury.

Last edited:
Ohhh, it’s become an interesting thread .

Better safe than sorry , so getting something seems like a good idea .
I’d like to try Hugo in a soft crate and might do that thanks for the useful tips and pictures etc .

I found this apparently made for the T6 in Italy , that I think would solve any legal questions and without doubt prevent Hugo hurting himeself or others . This one also has an opening section between the headrests , so he can jump in up over the rear seats between the headrests , as he does now despite being a big dog he does it like a ballet move .

It’s not cheap but looks strong .

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01ITACP96/

thanks everyone for the posts ...

@Niborn , how many is there in the Cali ?
If just two and a dog , why put your dog on the rear shelf loosing all that usefull storage just to put the dog there while driving .
The floorspace in the camping area behind the front seats , what sits there while travelling ? Most times nothing i reccon .
Also the lower your dog sits while driving the less chance of him become carsick
So thats the place to put a folding crate and the rear shelf is to put light stuff you use for camping like sleepingbags or duvets , pillows,....
Once at site your dog probally never sits in the rear on the shelf so why bother to put that dog guard on the rear seat?

Such a folding crate as we use we fold down and stays on the rear shelf while camped up , on the road while traveling we just place it outside next the Cali while having lunch or a quick stop while sitting in the rear seat , when we stop longer or when it rains we fold it up (takes 2min.)

I understand what your saying and it makes perfect sense but for better or worse Hugo got used to the rear shelf , on long trips he likes to see what’s going on , especially on the motorway , well anywhere in fact . I started by having him sit in his bed in the middle but he kept getting on the seat to see out .

At night when we go away he likes to sleep in the same place too . It’s going to be a problem , him having the back shelf at night on the Lapland trip because I’m certain we won’t be able to keep the roof up every night , far too much wind . So I’ll have to use the downstairs bed unless I take our Eriba , which is easy to use without the roof up as there is almost enough headroom .

Likely will take no trailer to Lapland but a rear rack and easy box for the extra stuff , Hugo will still use the shelf and if it’s windy he will sleep on the bed with me downstairs