Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dometic Fridge - ambient temp differential/compressor problem

S

stim

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I've read about the issues with low voltage running dometic fridges through the cig sockets and the fix being to hard wire to the battery but my fridge was working fine until the weekend when it was set to 4 degrees but only achieving 8-13 degrees. It is a new CFX3 25 running off the leisure battery in my beach.

I measured the temp inside the car (with my garmin watch, I assume it is reasonably accurate) at 47 degrees so was wondering if asking it to reduce by 43 degrees was just too much? Dometic specs only give min and max temps and not the difference. It then decided to throw an error - "!33 compressor failed to start". When I started driving it started working and dropped to 4 degrees but I don't know if this was to do with the electrical supply or the reduction of temperature in the van.

Anyone come across this error or know whether this fridge should be able to get to 4 degrees in that kind of heat?

Thanks in advance.

I've read about the issues with low voltage running dometic fridges through the cig sockets and the fix being to hard wire to the battery but my fridge was working fine until the weekend when it was set to 4 degrees but only achieving 8-13 degrees. It is a new CFX3 25 running off the leisure battery in my beach.

I measured the temp inside the car (with my garmin watch, I assume it is reasonably accurate) at 47 degrees so was wondering if asking it to reduce by 43 degrees was just too much? Dometic specs only give min and max temps and not the difference. It then decided to throw an error - "!33 compressor failed to start". When I started driving it started working and dropped to 4 degrees but I don't know if this was to do with the electrical supply or the reduction of temperature in the van.

Anyone come across this error or know whether this fridge should be able to get to 4 degrees in that kind of heat?

Thanks in advance.
I think asking the fridge to function by pumping heat into an enclosed space that is at 47oC is pushing it a bit.
There is voltage protection on most compressor fridges to protect the Leisure Battery and normally this can be altered.
Using a 12v socket means you will get a voltage reduction and coupled with a draining Leisure Battery may we’ll have triggered the Battery Protection.
Once you started driving, voltage increased , as battery being charged, fridge starts working. Also the vehicle interior is now being cooled so fridge can work effectively hence reaching target temperature.

Back