Doohh, anyone stupid enough to do this!

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
So, last week we were going to stay at the CC site at Baltic Warf on Bristol Marina ( unfortunately due to close in August as the Council have sold the land for development) as we were going to visit our new grand daughter. Anyway, plugged the van into the mains night before. Following morning very icy, heater on to deice, then had to pop out. Into the van, start up and a "bong" from dashboard and temp below 2c, so into reverse, still banging, pulled back on the drive and heard a clunk. Damn, the mains lead. Stopped. Plug had pulled apart, as it was supposed to do. Unplugged at mains, removed end still in the Vans mains socket. No apparent damage. Big sigh of relief. Got to campsite after lunch, plugged in mains lead - no mains. Tried 2nd lead - no mains ( I carry 2 10m leads). Oh well, batteries fully charged and only staying 1 night but wondered what damage I had done to the Van. Following day got home, plugged one of the leads into the mains, All working as it should. Phoned the site to tell them they might have a problem and they called back, yes there was, now fixed and thank you.
So, has anyone else done this?
I've just fitted a new female, breakaway, plug to my home lead and have a bean bag to sit on dash when lead plugged in. :headbang:headbang:headbang

Not got that far. Shame about the site it's a great location for central Bristol - not surprised council want to make some money - more flats I suppose.

Correct, more flats and a nursery.

YES.

I had a charging problem on the Cali. SMG couldn't get to the bottom of it. I ended up not plugging my cable in at home... but old habits died hard and did just the same as the OP.

Went to Belgium, no mains lead would work. Came home. Pulled into SMG. worked perfectly. Yes. The site had a problem, not me :)

You were lucky to get in there, we have never been successful getting a pitch.

Alan

Granny Jen,
Bet the Butler has the job of unplugging the lead before you head off.

On another subject. Are you all sorted now with new tyres?

Granny Jen,
Bet the Butler has the job of unplugging the lead before you head off.

On another subject. Are you all sorted now with new tyres?

Yes thank you, WG...

I'm going to post in a new thread what I have said elsewhere about the whole rescue procedure. THey were all brilliant, Time to say something nice.

Thank you xx

Correct, more flats and a nursery.
Just in case you fancy a visit talk of its demise are premature :) Licence extended until Sep 2018. It's a school they want to build and much can happen between now and then.

Good to here as we have family nearby and have also been researching our family tree.

Excellent news.

Nearly done it. I now always tie one of those velcro fluorescent arm bands around the steering wheel at the top to remind me. (It's an age thing! :D)

Nearly done it. I now always tie one of those velcro fluorescent arm bands around the steering wheel at the top to remind me. (It's an age thing! :D)
But what do you do to remind you what the armband on the wheel is for :confused:

But what do you do to remind you what the armband on the wheel is for :confused:
Easy, I just say to my wife "Why is that there" and she tells me. She's very helpful in that way, she aways tells me where my socks and undies are, glasses, tools, tea bags, things I had a minute ago, etc :rolleyes:

Did this when we first got the Cali, despite having campers for years!

Easily done.

My then 6 year old daughter made me a badge on a CamperJam wristband with the words On Hookup on. This we put onto the steering wheel as soon as we connect to remind us not to do it again...

Works a treat.

Rgds
Mark

Just in case you fancy a visit talk of its demise are premature :) Licence extended until Sep 2018. It's a school they want to build and much can happen between now and then.
image.jpeg
My view from upstairs bed right now in Baltic Wharf - Bristol. Can't quite see the water. If only the hedge was a ft lower.

Glad I'm not alone. I got as far as the campsite entrance with the lead trailing along behind me. Luckily no damage done to my driveaway awning or van. Just had to pick up the table and chairs that had been scattered!

never done it my self, but can see it easily done, do what HGV Drivers do, have a walk around your van, it becomes a habit

Glad I'm not alone. I got as far as the campsite entrance with the lead trailing along behind me. Luckily no damage done to my driveaway awning or van. Just had to pick up the table and chairs that had been scattered!

bollard.jpg

As a park owner, being on the other end of the lead can be very frustrating though. We have this happen at least once each season :-(.

Last edited:
View attachment 10450
My view from upstairs bed right now in Baltic Wharf - Bristol. Can't quite see the water. If only the hedge was a ft lower.

If the hedge was lower you would have people looking in all the time. That section is part of one of my favourite short cycle rides. Around the harbour, stop at Brunel's Buttery about ½ a mile up from here for a doorstop bacon sandwich and a mug of tea. I was down there only yesterday.
I also used to volunteer on the Harbour Railway. One summer a couple arrived to stay at the site to get the husband away from their local steam railway. His wife had booked the site, I think. The assumption was that you'd never get a railway in the middle of a city. He couldn't believe his luck and spent most of the weekend on the footplate with us. Simon

As you RHD are on the opposite side of the hook-up it Can happen more often .
On the other hand i never start up the Cali before walking arround it , checking nothing left behind , tyers ok , hook-up ,roof .....make it a habbit ...is there no sound that warns the hook-up is still plugged in when starting the engine? Have to check ...

Rich-s I was looking for a picture I knew I had somewhere, of the area around the campsite many years ago. I think it was in the 1920s or 30s, certainly before the last war as a lot of damage was done around here.
Docks from the Air 1.jpg
You can see The Cottage pub next to the tug to the lower right of the harbour. The camp site is just next to it where the dark coloured warehouses are in the picture.
Where the houses across the water in your very nice picture are was a sand wharf which was still operating until the late 1980s to early 90s. Simon

On the other hand i never start up the Cali before walking arround it , checking nothing left behind , tyers ok , hook-up ,roof .....make it a habbit ...is there no sound that warns the hook-up is still plugged in when starting the engine? Have to check ...
There is a sound if you start the engine with hookup still plugged in. I thought it was the reversing sensor as I was reversing.:thumb

You were lucky to get in there, we have never been successful getting a pitch.

Alan
It seems that pitches are all booked up long in advance. However last minute space are sometimes available. They obviously get a few cancellations as cc doesn't take deposit on member bookings.

Yep.
An alarm goes bingley bong to you.
Refuse to discuss how I know.
I didn't move an inch until it had stopped though.

Bingley bong only sounds when power is being supplied. So if van end plugged in and supply end not plugged in, no alarm. If both ends plugged in but supply not switched on or cb's tripped, no alarm. Mmmm....wonder how I know ?