Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door leak

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Door leak
My drivers door has started to leak , looks like it’s coming from behind the door panel.But my concern is has the heko deflector caused the issue or is it a coincidence

Do you have any more about where the leak is coming from? There are various threads on the forum relating to leaks (sadly). Some from the drains over the door. Which can be caused by blocked roof drains.

Do you have any more about where the leak is coming from? There are various threads on the forum relating to leaks (sadly). Some from the drains over the door. Which can be caused by blocked roof drains.
Hi ,having trouble transferring my pictures to my iPad but I will post them.Yes I have looked at all the posts regarding leaks it’s not a drain problem the van has only done 400 miles I don’t park near trees, its pooling up on the door frame seal at the bottom.I have done some checks tonight and you can see a small drip from the bottom of the door card,just worried it’s the new deflectors

I would start looking there.
I would start looking there.
I agree but strange the issue is only on one side

I agree but strange the issue is only on one side
Just removed the wind deflector and no difference still small drips below door panel

Just removed the wind deflector and no difference still small drips below door panel
This is a picture of the leak

Attachments

• E6FE41A5-5D03-4AA7-8649-2DD6E496750C.jpeg
    E6FE41A5-5D03-4AA7-8649-2DD6E496750C.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 70
Under warranty? I'd have VW take a look behind the door card.

It’s got 5 years warranty I only bought it in November new( unreal not a good start

Especially when these vehicles go through a leak test before leaving the factory

Have you checked that the roof is draining correctly?

I have the window air deflectors fitted and even with an ill wind
i would never expect them to leak, the door seals are pretty
good too.

Have you checked that the roof is draining correctly?

I have the window air deflectors fitted and even with an ill wind
i would never expect them to leak, the door seals are pretty
good too.
hi its coming from the bottom of the door card, so the only way it can get in is through the glass seal, then it must be escaping out behind the door card somehow.

hi its coming from the bottom of the door card, so the only way it can get in is through the glass seal, then it must be escaping out behind the door card somehow.
Hi Defender90, did you resolve this? Just looking at my van and am thinking the only obvious place for the water to come into the door is the lower window seal? Doubt that your wind deflectors could be the problem but did wonder how you fitted them? I ask because when I fitted mine I (stupidly) thought that the front lower edge by the wing mirror was supposed to sit behind the trim. It would be possible to force it in there! If so it could ‘stress’ the seals? Just a thought.

618BE5EF-AE38-4F8D-A548-16D18BE07641.jpeg

2CDD18CA-2E86-4E8B-A7D5-F13AA90CD319.jpeg

Last edited:
My van has the same problem, which only seems to have developed over the last few weeks. There is a thread somewhere on here, because @Loz also had a problem that he solved with a bit of string to bolster the window seal.
My leak is definitely coming from the door side, the solution so far has been to ignore it until the weather improves as it doesn't seem to be affecting anything and the interior is not wet.

i
My van has the same problem, which only seems to have developed over the last few weeks. There is a thread somewhere on here, because @Loz also had a problem that he solved with a bit of string to bolster the window seal.
My leak is definitely coming from the door side, the solution so far has been to ignore it until the weather improves as it doesn't seem to be affecting anything and the interior is not wet.
it was me!
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/argh-we-have-a-roof-leak.29107/page-3#post-477660 ....... @Defender90
post #44 & #49, might help.

Hi Defender90, did you resolve this? Just looking at my van and am thinking the only obvious place for the water to come into the door is the lower window seal? Doubt that your wind deflectors could be the problem but did wonder how you fitted them? I ask because when I fitted mine I (stupidly) thought that the front lower edge by the wing mirror was supposed to sit behind the trim. It would be possible to force it in there! If so it could ‘stress’ the seals? Just a thought.

View attachment 72268

View attachment 72269
Hi just had some feedback from the garage firstly they have never had any t6 or t6.1 with door leaks so they had to refer to vw technical

and this was the reply I have just had from the garage

We have confirmed the leak is coming from between window regulator and door, we have sent photo’s to tech support and they have asked us to remove window regulator and apply new sealant bead, this needs 4hrs to set before refitting regulator, are we ok to keep over night, then rebuild in the morning for you.

Thanks

fingers crossed it’s sorted

Interesting. I wonder where the sealant is applied, can anyone advise?
To access this, am I right in thinking that it's a drill out rivets job, with replacement on completion? Not to mention door card removal and fiddling with the door lock mechanism to remove the window carrier?
I'll be interested to hear in due course if the remedy is successful.

To access this, am I right in thinking that it's a drill out rivets job, with replacement on completion? Not to mention door card removal and fiddling with the door lock mechanism to remove the window carrier?
Not sure all that is required ,but I have asked for pictures so I will post as soon as I have them

I have watched a few YouTube videos on the door card removal it’s very straight forward, still a shame things need removing on a new van costing a small fortune

Yes, I think that only the door card needs to be taken off which will give access. I was mistakenly thinking that the carrier would have to be removed. I need to get onto Utube too.

@Defender90, has this been sorted for you?
I have been researching this; the following thread covers the problem I think that I have, which is the same as yours. The window regulator is on a carrier which is sealed to the outer door skin. When this seal fails water runs out under the door card onto the step. I realise now that I had the same problem with my Skoda Fabia, where it was a well known fault. It also sounds as if your garage is well aware of this on earlier models.
It is most successfully cured if the regulator carrier is loosened to allow sealant to be applied, with the Skoda, it was fixed with pop rivets, hence my earlier comment. I understand that on the transporter base the regulator carrier is bolted to the door, can anyone confirm this before I start removing bits?

Back