Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door Mirror swiveled forwards-how do I reset it?

J

JohnEast

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The electric door mirror on the drivers side of my T5 California (2009) has been swiveled forwards. The mirror had been in the normal position (not folded in) because I had parked on my drive, I suspect the damage was caused by a van reversing out of my drive.
I have tried reasonable force to swivel the mirror back to the normal position but it won't budge.
How do I reset the mirror position?

Don't think "resetting" as in : push a button , can be done ,
guess it needs to forced back in to place "manual" as in : use manpower.

I think the mecanism is out of line by forcing the mirror the wrong way .

Pictures?

I never understood the benefits of electric folding mirros , only there causing trouble imo. costing lots of money when they get broken.
Got a 18y old Renault and i love the fact a can just hit the mirror with my hand to close it when i park up somewhere next to busy road or in my garage.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the mechanism has not been messed up but you could try dismantling the mirror by removing the cover and see if that gives you access to the innards. You might be able to see what's going on. Or remove the whole mirror assembly and look for damage.
I think doing a "manual reset".... Forcing it back, is probably going to do more damage. Good luck!

Don't think "resetting" as in : push a button , can be done ,
guess it needs to forced back in to place "manual" as in : use manpower.

I think the mecanism is out of line by forcing the mirror the wrong way .

Pictures?

I never understood the benefits of electric folding mirros , only there causing trouble imo. costing lots of money when they get broken.
Got a 18y old Renault and i love the fact a can just hit the mirror with my hand to close it when i park up somewhere next to busy road or in my garage.
Tend to agree. I'd be more impressed if the Cali mirrors were to fold closer to the body as they are still very vulnerable when folded.

Not sure about the T6 mirrors but my old T4 had little blue levers that needed to be pushed in to let it spring back after it had been hit.

Thinking about my T6 I doubt the mirrors would survive being pushed forwards as the 45 degree swivel mechanism is gear driven. Worth taking apart rather than stripping the cogs by forcing it.

Back