Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door unlock re-lock mechanism?

Trollhunter

Trollhunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

I see in the manual it is totally normal that the doors lock automatically after 30s if the vehicle is unlocked and no doors opened.

My T5 2005 cali seems to like to lock again even if I open and close the drivers door. However If I turn the key fob on and off does it not re-lock.

I have tested the other doors. If I open and close the passenger door, sliding door or tailgate then it does not re-lock.

Any idea where this problem may arise? A sensor of door opening in the driver door somewhere?

I only ask as I just failed the MOT (norwegian equivalent) because of this. They locked the keys inside under the test and said that is not normal so failed the MOT :headbang Now they estimate quite a cost just to diagnose the problem.

Any tips gratefully recieved!

When you open drivers door does it show as open on the dash display. Symptoms sound like your drivers door latch mechanism has a stuck/failed switch. Alternatively use vcds to disable auto relock. Carista may do it but its expensive and dosent do much tbh.

When you open drivers door does it show as open on the dash display. Symptoms sound like your drivers door latch mechanism has a stuck/failed switch. Alternatively use vcds to disable auto relock. Carista may do it but its expensive and dosent do much tbh.
Great tip, thanks! Just tested it and the door open does not display on the dash for the drivers door, whereas the other doors do. So latch problem perhaps the most logical.

Maybe disabling the door re-lock wont help with my MOT as I could in theory drive off without being notified that the door isn't closed properly.

Is it worth trying to spray something in to loosen parts up or just best have the experts look at it?

Vw door latches fail regularly, think i paid £170 in 2022 for part from vw dealer. Couple of hours to replace. The switches are tiny and pretty well hidder by the door casing, unlikely to resurrect with spray lube.

Just a little update incase anyone else has similar problems with unwanted door locking.

As said before, I tested all doors and checked for the dash light from @Nik_campervan advice, and found the driver door not to be registering. With this info the garage could quickly check the same and concluded the door locking mechanism fault. A quick easy change of the whole mechanism and all works perfectly now :)

Thanks!