Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Doors not locking via drivers door switch

Veedlescnapper

Veedlescnapper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All, My T6 Ocean has recently started unlocking itself when I press the drivers door lock button. The vehicle stays locked when using the key fob - but not at all using internal switch. When pressed, it immediately opens all locks again...anyone else experienced this and found out how to resolve?

Thanks.

Hi All, My T6 Ocean has recently started unlocking itself when I press the drivers door lock button. The vehicle stays locked when using the key fob - but not at all using internal switch. When pressed, it immediately opens all locks again...anyone else experienced this and found out how to resolve?

Thanks.
Cannot help with the specific problem, but just as a thought process - if all doors are locking, the lock is fine. Could be an issue with the switch. Try some compressed air to clean or use some contact cleaner and that may help to fix it. Use only air or contact cleaner. Do try and let us know the result.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cannot help with the specific problem, but just as a thought process - if all doors are locking, the lock is fine. Could be an issue with the switch. Try some compressed air to clean or use some contact cleaner and that may help to fix it. Use only air or contact cleaner. Do try and let us know the result.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for your response - I’ll give this a try tomorrow and report back.

You really need to see the results of a vcds scan to understand if all the lock microswitches are working properly.
the door modules check the position of each lock and the status of the deadlock position so it’s possible that after you lock it, one of the microswitches is not correct and so it opens them again.

Hi Loz. I don't know what a 'vcds' is, b ut I'm guessing that means that I need to take it to a god-awful vw garage?

Hi Loz. I don't know what a 'vcds' is, b ut I'm guessing that means that I need to take it to a god-awful vw garage?
Yes and no, some members have the diagnostic kit and there are some self-use devices like Carista that can give you fault codes read from the system but might not help you fix it yourself but can help you be "more informed" when you do eventually take into a garage to be fixed.
You didn't mention how old your T6 is, are you now out of warranty?

Yes, unfortunately my warranty ran out in December last year.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Have you checked that all the doors are completely closed?

It's happened to me a few times. I have used the internal switch to lock and it's just unlocked itself. Normally when a door has not closed properly. It will still deadlock using the fob, but not the internal switch. A walk round opening and then closing the doors "with purpose" worked.

As this normally occurs at bedtime, closing the doors "with purpose" is a certain way to amuse the neighbours :shocked

Another thing you can try is to use some contact cleaner spray in each door lock catch as there is a microswitch used to tell the door module whether the door is open or closed. If these get gummed up they will stop working.

Also, check the MFD display whilst opening and closing each door and check the system is seeing each door open and close.

Another thing you can try is to use some contact cleaner spray in each door lock catch as there is a microswitch used to tell the door module whether the door is open or closed. If these get gummed up they will stop working.

Also, check the MFD display whilst opening and closing each door and check the system is seeing each door open and close.
I think I might have this problem right now on my 5.1. I’ve gone round opening and closing all the doors, but we can’t lock from inside in the usual way.

The MFD doesn’t seem to register the passenger door opening. So, what to do in this situation? Will spraying the lock with WD-40 do the trick? Or, is it a trip to the garage?

Roger is fitting me solar panels tomorrow. Maybe he’ll have an idea.

I think I might have this problem right now on my 5.1. I’ve gone round opening and closing all the doors, but we can’t lock from inside in the usual way.

The MFD doesn’t seem to register the passenger door opening. So, what to do in this situation? Will spraying the lock with WD-40 do the trick? Or, is it a trip to the garage?

Roger is fitting me solar panels tomorrow. Maybe he’ll have an idea.
contact cleaner would be preferable to wd40

I have the same issue on my T5.1. I fitted the button and pressing it locks and instantly unlocks the door. I get the same symptom when I enable auto locking using vcds.
I have tracked it down to the barn door and changed the micro switch and door harness but it is still the same. Means it has to be the wiring in the van itself. Not given up as yet

I’m back home. The problem continues, but intermittently. It seems ok after a spell on a blowy motorway (the MFD also registers the passenger door opening after being on the motorway).

To my non-mechanical mind this supports the dirty / bad connection explanation.

I’m buying contact cleaner today to squirt around. Before using it, is it worth poking around the door latch with a cotton bud soaked in ethanol? Or, the contact cleaner maybe?

Back