raynormor

raynormor

Ray
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Good morning All
Has anyone else experience of this?
Cleaned inside and out but still cloudy.
Regards
Ray

Good morning All
Regards
Ray
Not common, but common in Domestic Glazing Units.

not seen it on forum before, One window or more?

My back screen has misted up 3 times in 16 months. It clears itself just as quickly as it mists up and I have never been in a position to photograph it. No idea why or how it does it because domestic double glazed units don't mist up this way.

My back screen has misted up 3 times in 16 months. It clears itself just as quickly as it mists up and I have never been in a position to photograph it. No idea why or how it does it because domestic double glazed units don't mist up this way.
Oh yes they do. Lost 18 double glazed units and 2 patio doors in the Storm of 1987 due to water ingress. Water sucked in through the seals as the outer glass sheet was distorted by the wind force. First sunny day all the panels became opaque. Have also had 3 more units replaced that suffered periodic misting with changes in the weather and seasons.

Is it the laminated fronts? Warranty issue on an SE I looked at.

Oh yes they do. Lost 18 double glazed units and 2 patio doors in the Storm of 1987 due to water ingress. Water sucked in through the seals as the outer glass sheet was distorted by the wind force. First sunny day all the panels became opaque. Have also had 3 more units replaced that suffered periodic misting with changes in the weather and seasons.
You misunderstood me. I didn't say domestic dog units don't mist up, I said that they don't mist up in the way my rear window mists up.

You misunderstood me. I didn't say domestic dog units don't mist up, I said that they don't mist up in the way my rear window mists up.

I had the 3 Double glazed units that would mist up and clear depending on the weather and could change from one state to the other in minutes.
Sunny day - clear. Rain shower comes along and those panels facing the rain would mist up as they were cooled. The one not facing the rain remained clear.
Acute temp changes downwards caused them to mist. Very gradual didn't. Went on for 3 years until changed.

Rear screen and offside rear side window.
Cali lives in a garage and isn't overused.
I didn't think I'd seen it on the forum before.
I guess I'll have bite the bullet before long.
Not too inconvenient unless the sun is directly on the rear.
Good wing mirrors:)

Do you have the double glazed rear window or the single with the heated rear screen elements?

Do you have the double glazed rear window or the single with the heated rear screen elements?
It's double glazed. First time it happened I was carrying passengers and just thought it had misted up on the inside. Second time we were out on a hot sunny day and we're able to pull up and see that the misting was within the glazed unit; but I never thought to take pictures. Third time I spotted it had misted up but it cleared before I could find a safe place to stop. It's one of those intermittent problems that may be more trouble to get fixed than leave.

It's double glazed. First time it happened I was carrying passengers and just thought it had misted up on the inside. Second time we were out on a hot sunny day and we're able to pull up and see that the misting was within the glazed unit; but I never thought to take pictures. Third time I spotted it had misted up but it cleared before I could find a safe place to stop. It's one of those intermittent problems that may be more trouble to get fixed than leave.
I would just get it done under warranty then....

I would just get it done under warranty then....
Yes I'd be well advised to get it done under warranty but I've been back to the dealer and I need clear photographic evidence of the fault, with pictures taken both inside and out, and since then I've had no misting up.

Yes I'd be well advised to get it done under warranty but I've been back to the dealer and I need clear photographic evidence of the fault, with pictures taken both inside and out, and since then I've had no misting up.
Is there no sign of contamination on the separation strip at the bottom?

One thing I see often this time of year is condensation on the outside when the air temp raises quickly but the sealed unit is cold, that comes and goes quickly.

Is there no sign of contamination on the separation strip at the bottom?

One thing I see often this time of year is condensation on the outside when the air temp raises quickly but the sealed unit is cold, that comes and goes quickly.
I've now had chance to have a really good look and there is absolutely no sign that moisture has formed in the cavity. With domestic double glazing if you shine a torch through the glass you can usually see a slight residue on the internal face of the glass but I've tried that and there is nothing. I'm just hoping it has cleared itself.

I managed to take a photo of condensation on the outside of our velux which is the same thickness this morning, it was gone within 10 minutes.
IMG_3972.JPG

Good morning All
Regards
Ray
Yes, the seal in my tailgate window had 'blown' and the unit had fogged up. You could still see through it okay but all in all pretty unsightly. I went down the dealer route to have it replaced. Not cheap - about £300 plus fitting from memory. Beware the likes of Autoglass. They can replace these units but you have to explain that it's a factory insulated glass panel and not standard glass. Autoglass we're looking for over £600 to supply and fit. So unless you have had a 'breakage' and can get it replaced on your insurance, then suggest you talk to your dealer.

On my 2011 Cali first near side rear and now rear double glazed units have failed
I reported the side window with a backup photo so dealer changed the opening side window.
Gave up with dealer as hardly noticeable but will have to do rear unit befor too long.

Back