Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drain holes under elevating roof - location?

L

lewisnoble

VIP Member
I seem to recall threads about the need to check the drain holes that run down from underneath the elevating roof, down the A pillars I think - and the need to keep these clean and draining. Can anyone clarify exactly where they are so I can find and check them??

2008 Cali

Lewis

Bump. I'm interested too as I've failed to find them

Chris

Found them! At the rear top of tailgate when open - you should be able to see daylight through them. And at end of rear gully. Mine were quite clean but worth keeping an eye on. Need to park rear downhill from time to time. Hope the attached pictures help.

image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks Guys !! a 4mm knitting needle did the trick :p
kind regards
Barry

Have tried to clear front drain holes, but they remain blocked. Can someone explain where they are located, so that i can gain access. please?

John

Have you tried a gentle air line from the top? Don't blow too hard and blow the pipe off any fittings though.

Have tried to clear front drain holes, but they remain blocked. Can someone explain where they are located, so that i can gain access. please?

John
Are they actually blocked. The pipe takes a virtually 90' bend downwards about 8-10 cms in and then down the A pillar.

Hello,
After getting tired of a damp carpet in the driver side (LHD 2006)I recently took the plunge and pulled up the carpet, took off panels etc to discover that the pipe that drains from the roof has a join in the A pillar and mine was not joined, therefore leaking onto the electrics!
All sorted now but quite a fiddly job. I'm happy to help anyone who has the same problem. Not one to take to a VW dealer!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well done you must be very satisfied.

Mike

I did a routine check of the rear drains, gently pushing a length of wire through from both directions. One was fine, the other not. The wire was not coming out on the other side! On investigation the tube between the two grommets was not connected. Meaning water would drain into the rear pillar.
To fix I removed the grommet from the rear hatch and using a cable tie as a guide, pushed through from the roof side, slid the tube over the cable tie so that it relocated onto the roof grommet when the hatch grommet was put back into place. The drain pipe seems to be a fairly loose fit so any force/pressure when clearing debris is likely to dislodge the tube.

On the T5 and probably T6 the front drains have a 90' bend so very difficult to push any wire through. High Pressure air is recommended.:thumb

On the T5 and probably T6 the front drains have a 90' bend so very difficult to push any wire through. High Pressure air is recommended.:thumb

But not high enough pressure to blow the connections apart:thumb

@ivorl
Your 2nd picture shows the un-connected hose.
Where exact is this connection located ?
On the floor under the carpet or against the wheel acres?

@ivorl
Your 2nd picture shows the un-connected hose.
Where exact is this connection located ?
On the floor under the carpet or against the wheel acres?

No the pipe comes down the A pillar & pushes into a grommet through the bulkhead located in front of the glove box.
Mine had come out & water draining onto the carpet. Had to lift the carpet up to mop water up. Aslo ran a dehumidifier in the cali for a few days to completely dry it out.

image.png View attachment 15881[/QUOTE]
Thought I would tackle the wet carpet/passenger footwell problem today, seems an easy enough job. I've have had water coming in for ages and using the above guide found the drain tube behind the lower trim panels, thinking it would just be a case of reattaching a loose pipe but no, seems Item No5 in the parts diagram just ain't there and what makes it worse doesn't look like it's ever been there, no wonder water has been pouring in. Anyone else who has wet carpets should have a look to see if their drain pipe has come unattached or missing.

Thought I would tackle the wet carpet/passenger footwell problem today, seems an easy enough job. I've have had water coming in for ages and using the above guide found the drain tube behind the lower trim panels, thinking it would just be a case of reattaching a loose pipe but no, seems Item No5 in the parts diagram just ain't there and what makes it worse doesn't look like it's ever been there, no wonder water has been pouring in. Anyone else who has wet carpets should have a look to see if their drain pipe has come unattached or missing.
[/QUOTE]

I have been dealing with the wet passenger footwell problem after really heavy rain got a couple of days. The issue was the drainage pipe had detached from the flexible outlet rubber. To fix I had to remove trim from under the heater blower, remove heater blower fan and cover, release all the cable plugs and unscrew the socket board mounts, remove the linkage and actuator for the heater blower air direction, only then I can get to the issue of the pipe being disconnected to the rubber out let. It’s lucky I have small hands because this was a very tight and tricky fix. I also had to remove the inside trim upstand from the dashboard to the roof where the drainage pipe runs so I could clip the pipe to give enough flex to be able to fit back in place. I fix with a couple of tie wraps to make sure it all stays in place. See pictures below.

B148A31C-1698-431B-BE00-7004B4BFE0FC.jpeg

987CDBED-8205-4CF4-BE50-44FADBCE024C.jpeg

A099A6B2-50FE-425D-BD9D-38343DCEC943.jpeg

F582A7BC-A137-4443-9F0C-553584C8CD0B.jpeg

C9B4AD7E-BEBB-4AAA-8BD2-D74B6FC6B71D.jpeg

I have been dealing with the wet passenger footwell problem after really heavy rain got a couple of days. The issue was the drainage pipe had detached from the flexible outlet rubber. To fix I had to remove trim from under the heater blower, remove heater blower fan and cover, release all the cable plugs and unscrew the socket board mounts, remove the linkage and actuator for the heater blower air direction, only then I can get to the issue of the pipe being disconnected to the rubber out let. It’s lucky I have small hands because this was a very tight and tricky fix. I also had to remove the inside trim upstand from the dashboard to the roof where the drainage pipe runs so I could clip the pipe to give enough flex to be able to fit back in place. I fix with a couple of tie wraps to make sure it all stays in place. See pictures below.

View attachment 60767

View attachment 60768

View attachment 60769

View attachment 60770

View attachment 60771
[/QUOTE]
Goodpost :thumb

Just got a borescope for my phone so thought I'd try to get a picture inside the roof of the front drain tube with all the bends to show why it's so hard to clean. Air pressure or water in a syringe and the safest ways :)

20201005154905957~2.jpg

Back