Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Draining the fresh and grey water tanks

thanks, never seen such a protruding pipe. will go back and look

Think it was well tucked away when I got the van but after grappling with it a few times to attach an extension hose for emptying at home it now protrudes a bit more, as you mention

Drained the fresh water tank a week ago and today dealt with the delivery pipe to the tap. As it’s now comfortably minus C today, thought I’d best give it a go.

So, thanks to advice from @WelshGas I’ve disconnected the tap and blown the water out the tap back to the tank - nothing fancy, just cupped my mouth around the tap and blew - must sanitise before use!

On the first try I heard a gurgling and when I stopped blowing the air came back out the tap with more gurgling. Then I removed the fresh water filler cap and did the same - no gurgles and no air came back out. So I guess that pipe is 100% empty now.

For guidance, some photos below. You need to remove the cutlery drawer, which is easy - 2 pull catches as shown below.

CE7AE16E-E3AD-4463-946A-E11A5865DBC0.jpeg

3CF2F5B0-F5D8-49AF-A9D8-FB8D10A890C7.jpeg

4CA42787-71CB-4BC9-8811-D8DCF0495A20.jpeg

CB362024-5971-42BF-A9C0-AAFD327DF3DF.jpeg

Bump to this thread. My waste water tank (1 month old van), refuses to empty.

I’ve poked around under the sink and in the LH cupboard where the drain valve is. All looks fine.

Just nothing coming out of the pipe in front of the passenger wheel.

It’s on a favourable slope as well, down a slight incline & sloping away toward the passenger side.

Last edited:
Plug in the sink causing a vacuum?
Blocked or kinked waste outlet hose?
Have you poured water into the sink and checked that it is not going somewhere other than the waste water tank?

Bump to this thread. My waste water tank (1 month old can), refuses to empty.

I’ve poked around under the sink and in the LH cupboard where the drain valve is. All looks fine.

Just nothing coming out of the pipe in front of the passenger wheel.

It’s on a favourable slope as well, down a slight incline & sloping away toward the passenger side.
Have you ever had water out of the waste tank?
One option is to see if the overflow works by filling the sink until you have standing water. This will bypass the normal outlet hose from the base of the tank to the outlet valve (connects just after the valve from the top of the tank).
If this is working then the issue is likely to be a blocked outlet valve with assembly material/construction debris, particularly if the van is just one month old.
Have you tried working the handle back and forth from the upright (closed position) to horizontal (open) many times to see if this May dislodge?
May be possible to use a wire coat hanger up the outlet to see if you can try a dislodge or pressurise with an airline.or hosepipe
Otherwise to the dealer for a dismantle

Last edited:
Plug in the sink causing a vacuum?
Blocked or kinked waste outlet hose?
Have you poured water into the sink and checked that it is not going somewhere other than the waste water tank?
Thanks for suggestions. No to 1 & 2, yes to 3.

It just sits in the sink and eventually drains over 3 days.

Have you ever had water out of the waste tank?
One option is to see if the overflow works by filling the sink until you have standing water. This will bypass the normal outlet hose from the base of the tank to the outlet valve (connects just after the valve from the top of the tank).
If this is working then the issue is likely to be a blocked outlet valve with assembly material/construction debris, particularly if the van is just one month old.
Have you tried working the handle back and forth from the upright (closed position) to horizontal (open) many times to see if this May dislodge?
May be possible to use a wire coat hanger up the outlet to see if you can try a dislodge or pressurise with an airline.or hosepipe
Otherwise to the dealer for a dismantle
I suspect blocked outlet.

I have worked the valve open/closed several times.

Toying with loosening the jubilee clips on the hoses either side of the valve and checking for blockages as the dealer is 5 hour RT away. Not sure if this impacts any hope under warranty.

I suspect blocked outlet.

I have worked the valve open/closed several times.

Toying with loosening the jubilee clips on the hoses either side of the valve and checking for blockages as the dealer is 5 hour RT away. Not sure if this impacts any hope under warranty.
The fact that it sits in the sink and drains over 3 days strongly suggests that the outlet nearly totally occluded AFTER the valve assembly, as the overflow should drain freely if the outlet is clear.
Do not loosen the jubilee clips unless you want a sink full (minimum) or 28 litres maximum ) inside your van
Try to clear by using a wire up the outlet or flush with a hose until you can at least get the overflow working fine. With the outlet hose clear your sink should empty via the overflow almost as quickly as it does into an empty tank

See my image at post #25 for outlet pipe location and where to insert wire/reverse flush with hose.

Last edited:
The fact that it sits in the sink and drains over 3 days strongly suggests that the outlet nearly totally occluded AFTER the valve assembly, as the overflow should drain freely if the outlet is clear.
Do not loosen the jubilee clips unless you want a sink full (minimum) or 28 litres maximum ) inside your van
Try to clear by using a wire up the outlet or flush with a hose until you can at least get the overflow working fine. With the outlet hose clear your sink should empty via the overflow almost as quickly as it does into an empty tank

See my image at post #25 for outlet pipe location and where to insert wire/reverse flush with hose.
Understood re J clips.

I had planned to shut valve, loosen clip to outlet side and check for blockages on the outflow pipe.

Would this work?

Understood re J clips.

I had planned to shut valve, loosen clip to outlet side and check for blockages on the outflow pipe.

Would this work?
I know you’ve had lots of advice on this and other threads to sort out your issues. As it continues to be a problem, I’d really advise calling your dealer and getting the van booked in for an inspection. The van is one month old as I understand it, so you should get it to the dealer soon, as they have a carte blanc from VWUK to attend to teething problems and set up issues without referring them back for a limited time, I believe this is 3 months. After that they need VW to give the OK for warranty work. I certainly wouldn’t be unclipping hoses and the like on a brand new van.

Understood re J clips.

Would this work?
Only if the sink had fully emptied in the 3 days. The tank overflow is connected after the shut off valve, so if the outlet is blocked and you release the J clip then any water in the overflow and sink will empty into the van .

The problem lies in the red area at or after the Tee piece 7.

Try to flush or dislodge with a wire up the outlet to see if the overflow works. If no joy it does look like to the dealers for a dismantle.

IMG_7078.jpeg

Sensible advice.

My inclination to do so is driven by inquisitiveness, stubbornness and an unwillingness to drive 5 hours to rectify what I will guess should be a 5 minute job.
Only if the sink had fully emptied in the 3 days. The tank overflow is connected after the shut off valve, so if the outlet is blocked and you release the J clip then any water in the overflow and sink will empty into the van .

The problem lies in the red area at or after the Tee piece 7.

Try to flush or dislodge with a wire up the outlet to see if the overflow works. If no joy it does look like to the dealers for a dismantle.

View attachment 121712
Got it, hadn’t appreciated the sink overflow is connected to the tee above the outlet pipe.

Completely understand the issue now.

Mine used to drain very slowly after a week of the kids spitting toothpaste down it. When I got home I used normal sink/drain unblocker from Tesco followed by boiling water as per instructions on bottle just like I would in our kitchen.

The plastic tubing is normal plumbing grade and can be cleaned like a normal sink.

Sensible advice.

My inclination to do so is driven by inquisitiveness, stubbornness and an unwillingness to drive 5 hours to rectify what I will guess should be a 5 minute job.

Got it, hadn’t appreciated the sink overflow is connected to the tee above the outlet pipe.

Completely understand the issue now.
Out of interest, did you resolve your problem?

Out of interest, did you resolve your problem?
I just waited for the slowest draining 500 ml to stop sloshing about in the sink.

I decided to heed your warranty advice. I love a bit of DIY. But when it might jeopardise a 5Y warranty, why bother.

I was scanning the Breeze club partner thread earlier. As someone wisely said, make a weekend out of the trip down.

I’ll get the techs to take a look while I take my daughter to the beach.

Thanks for checking in!

I just waited for the slowest draining 500 ml to stop sloshing about in the sink.

I decided to heed your warranty advice. I love a bit of DIY. But when it might jeopardise a 5Y warranty, why bother.

I was scanning the Breeze club partner thread earlier. As someone wisely said, make a weekend out of the trip down.

I’ll get the techs to take a look while I take my daughter to the beach.

Thanks for checking in!
Ok good luck. It’ll be interesting to find out the root cause (for others following this thread / later).