Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awning - advice please!

Thought that I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one.

We off to France this summer for an 8 day camp and I need to use the awning in my avatar for the first time with the California. We essentially want to connect the driveaway awning onto the extended wind out awning that came attached to the van.

We had a trial one afternoon this summer and whilst the it was relatively easy to connect the driveaway awning when it was not pegged down, this was not the case when we wanted to drive away and reconnect. My wife ended up supporting the windout awning whilst I edged the van forward to disconnect and reversed the van to reconnect.

I can't help think that there must be something I am missing, I seem to recall you can buy a strip a little like a curtain rail to interconnect. Anyway hopefully someone knows the answer, thanks in advane. Marty

What I do is make use of the chocks/wedges though any suitable marker would do.
When connecting up I would not wind the wind out awning all the way out but leave yourself an inch or two wiggle room, it will help you tension the connection too. We always use it with the Cali awning in.
When al connected up and you are happy with the position and tension of the awning place the chocks hard up against the front wheels (or rear wheels if you reversed into position).
When you come to leave slacken of the awning by winding out the wind out awning and disconnect the awning and wind the wind out awning back and stow..
Then drive straight back from the chocks. You may wish to place a couple of guys where the van was to give the awning stability.
On return drive straight up against the chocks, you will feel it when in the right place. You may need help to get you straight on.
Then connect up the awning.
Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone looks like the Kador strip is the answer. Tom I assume you use one in the method above?

Cheers M

First pitch:
1. Park
2. Wind canopy out but not fully
3. Attach awning to canopy with figure of 8 and kador
4. Peg out and inflate
5. Tension canopy by winding in

Drive away:
1. Peg 3m bicycle cable lock between the centres of the wheels
2. release tension of canopy by fully winding out
3. Remove Kador
4. Wind in canopy
5. Tie back vestibule

Return:
1. Park precisely alongside bike cable lock
2. Wind out canopy fully
3. Attach canopy to awning vestibule with kador
4. Tension canopy by winding in

Last edited:
Hi Elly, it’s a Kampa travel Pod Air, this is not the current model
It is almost identical to the Action Air / motion air
Great little awing
Thanks Perfectos. Was thinking of getting something very similar with poles, but am considering air too. How does it do in windy conditions?

Thanks again,
Could I have a steer as to where to buy the Kandor strip and figure of 8?

Thanks Perfectos. Was thinking of getting something very similar with poles, but am considering air too. How does it do in windy conditions?
Hi Elly
We use the air beam awning mostly for inclement camping or when the kids are in the Van overnight with friends. (As in the post you referred to earlier, when the Adults get demoted to the awning!)
The attachment to the van creates a secure feeling.
The gap between the van and tent can be used for storage.
I had it pitched in a several storms in Wales and Norfolk, the awning performed really well, secret as with all tents is peg it out properly and use all guy ropes correctly.
There are webbing straps to attach it to the wind out awning casing ends, which also help secure it in windy conditions. Because no poles to snap means it pretty flexible.
I have had a couple of plastic Kador strips rip apart due to high winds, but the tent no problem ( just make sure you have a couple of spare Kador strips,)
If the air poles are inflated correctly And the pegging is correct with all guy ropes correctly deployed I don’t see any problem.
IMO it’s more rigid than a pole tent when erected and pegged out correctly, but also more flexible when it needs to be in high winds.
My previous flag pole didn’t fare as well in one storm, snapped in several places despite being lowered somewhat and some flags removed!
I have seen plenty of carnage with tents, wind breaks etc after storms but fortunately the awning performed fantastically.
Would I buy an air beam drive away awning again, yes. Particularly for stays or more than a few days in one spot.
Do I use it exclusively, no, I also have a larger poled dome (party) tent for summer camping or when frequent day trips away from base and when extra outdoor kitchen / chilling / storage area is required. ( I would prefer an air party tent but the expense! )
I hope my comments are of some help, but as always, it depends on how you want to use it and the compromises each set up brings. Sometimes I bring both to events if we’re six up.

Hi Elly
We use the air beam awning mostly for inclement camping or when the kids are in the Van overnight with friends. (As in the post you referred to earlier, when the Adults get demoted to the awning!)
The attachment to the van creates a secure feeling.
The gap between the van and tent can be used for storage.
I had it pitched in a several storms in Wales and Norfolk, the awning performed really well, secret as with all tents is peg it out properly and use all guy ropes correctly.
There are webbing straps to attach it to the wind out awning casing ends, which also help secure it in windy conditions. Because no poles to snap means it pretty flexible.
I have had a couple of plastic Kador strips rip apart due to high winds, but the tent no problem ( just make sure you have a couple of spare Kador strips,)
If the air poles are inflated correctly And the pegging is correct with all guy ropes correctly deployed I don’t see any problem.
IMO it’s more rigid than a pole tent when erected and pegged out correctly, but also more flexible when it needs to be in high winds.
My previous flag pole didn’t fare as well in one storm, snapped in several places despite being lowered somewhat and some flags removed!
I have seen plenty of carnage with tents, wind breaks etc after storms but fortunately the awning performed fantastically.
Would I buy an air beam drive away awning again, yes. Particularly for stays or more than a few days in one spot.
Do I use it exclusively, no, I also have a larger poled dome (party) tent for summer camping or when frequent day trips away from base and when extra outdoor kitchen / chilling / storage area is required. ( I would prefer an air party tent but the expense! )
I hope my comments are of some help, but as always, it depends on how you want to use it and the compromises each set up brings. Sometimes I bring both to events if we’re six up.
Perfect reply Perfectos, thanks. We’ve had loads of awnings, utility tents over the last 14 years (my husband thinks I’m addicted). Before that tents.

It’s just me, hubby and dog and camping in the Cali (1yr) is a lot different to our last van, hitop Toyota Hiace. That had more space when travelling. Lately we’ve found that the 2 driveaway awnings we use most are:
  • Khyam Tourer quick erect that has an optional add on extension: great for long trips with plenty of pitch space. It has windows, insect mesh, side doors, etc and is good for sitting in and there’s a small additional “bedroom”. Very easy and quick to put up and really sturdy. Has coped very well with all weather conditions. The only downsides are that because the “canvas” is attached to the frame, a/ it takes a lot of space when packed down, b/ if it’s packed away wet it has to be erected to dry (so needs space at home). This one gets used on holidays longer than a weekend and the occasional festival (if we know they’ll be enough space).
  • Outdoor revolution handi: pole and sleeve, very basic, good for storage but not for sitting in and no room to sleep. The big pluses are that a/ it packs down nice and small, b/ the loose ”canvas can be hung up anywhere at home to dry if it comes home wet. We use this one for festivals and short camps when we need the space or the weather will be pants.
We attach the driveaways to the wind out awning (at least 1 metre out) which makes us, as a unit, quite wide. We also camp on different types of surfaces and love grass when dry so I don’t want a sewn in groundsheet.

So I’m looking for something that’s not too big (when pitched or packed) but that’s airy and feels ok to sit in (not bothered about sleeping) and we can store things in, hang wet coats and dry boots. Oh, and dry the dog.

Thanks everyone, brilliant helpful and informative responses as always.

Cheers M

Latest from decathlon may be of interest. site shows it against a campervan

big_1710890.jpg

View attachment 55152

PACK SIZE AND WEIGHT | 77 x 29 x 29 cm | 64 litres | 13 kg

big_1759074.jpg

Looks like this awning throws over the roof from some of the images. How’s this going to work with the pop top up?
Be interesting to see one in the flesh.

Quechua no longer sell their Base pop up tent and used eBay prices can be more than the old rrp.

A company called Cinch! make a similar product that is available via crowd funding, but they aren’t due to be delivered to U.K. customers until mid September...frustrating for those of us who backed the campaign and expected delivery in June!

As an interim measure we bought the Khyam Motordome Dub Hub drive away awning, mostly because it’s quick and easy to put up on your own and provides a good 3m x 3m footprint next to the van.

View attachment 36138

Camping with it this week has given us valuable space and shelter. I really cannot see how we would have managed without it, it’s also gives you a buffer between your pitch and the next.
We have the smaller Tourer quick erect, 2.4x2.4 footprint and shorter tunnel. You can get an extension if you need extra room, we call the extension The West Wing :D. We also have the older version of this one with 3x3m footprint but as we like the wind out awning wound out about a metre it made us a little too wide for some sitesIf they would do a 2x2m one I’d by it in a heartbeat, they’re so robust and sturdy and as you say, quick and easy to erect. The only downside is if it goes home wet it needs a bit of space to dry as you can’t detach the legs..

Interesting that they’ve gone for a very “utility” look and feel for it. No connecting tunnel? I would miss that bit sometimes.

Back