Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning attachment

JAPRACER

JAPRACER

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Morning all,
How are you good folks attaching your drive away awning rails to your van with the wind out awning attached?
On my old T25 I had a channel for a figure of 8 attachment.
Curious to see who is doing what on the T6

Morning all,
How are you good folks attaching your drive away awning rails to your van with the wind out awning attached?
Hi, there is a ‘c’ channel on the leading edge of the wind-out awning

Morning all,
Wind out the awning a few inches and lift up the leading edge flap. Voila "C" channel.

Morning all,

For months we used to use the "C" channel, attaching a connector strip to a figure of 8 strip on the awning itself, but we were never happy with the way the awning ended up connected. It sat too low for our liking.

Now we simply wind the awning out a little and attach the connector strip directly to the top of the flap on the awning, then wind back in. Gives us a nice flush fit every time, and raises the whole thing a few valuable inches.

Someone at a festival showed us how, and it's been a great tip, especially during those torrential downpours that occur from time to time :)

If you don't have an awning rail or the C Channel attachment you can use one of these

Morning all,
I first put my drive a way awning up last month on my new Cali. I used a drive away kit straight to my wind out awning, but found it difficult as the kadar strip and figure 8 strip were sliding along as I was trying the thread the awning on. The next time we use it we are fitting the awning directly to the wind out rail, as I don't think we would ever use the drive away option on site.

Figure of 8 attached to top leading edge of the wind out awning front cover simply wind out a tiny bit, snaps over securely, wind fully back in, (simple to remove by reverse operation)

0AC0F57A-C17B-4AEA-9C61-BD8D0688428D.jpeg1CCDA880-1C5D-4BE7-AC73-9869D7192053.jpeg

If you don't have an awning rail or the C Channel attachment you can use one of these

Hi, with that new Banana pop top wrap, can it be left in situ when the roof is lowered? Or should it be removed each time ??
Thank you

For months we used to use the "C" channel, attaching a connector strip to a figure of 8 strip on the awning itself, but we were never happy with the way the awning ended up connected. It sat too low for our liking.

Now we simply wind the awning out a little and attach the connector strip directly to the top of the flap on the awning, then wind back in. Gives us a nice flush fit every time, and raises the whole thing a few valuable inches.

Someone at a festival showed us how, and it's been a great tip, especially during those torrential downpours that occur from time to time :)
How do you attach the connector strip to the top of the flap? We use the channel under the cover for wind out awning but find the sliding door sometimes catches so like your idea of being able to get it higher.

How do you attach the connector strip to the top of the flap? We use the channel under the cover for wind out awning but find the sliding door sometimes catches so like your idea of being able to get it higher.
Post #8 shows a figure of 8 strip attached to the drive away awning clipped to the Wind out awning and explains how to fit, very very simple

Last edited:
We used the kadar strip to connct our Galli III to the wind out awning and wound it in to try and pull it tight but also add some much needed height.

Only issue we found was that the wind out awning C channel wasnt long enough so there is excess length of the connection strip on the awning itself which flaps about, meaning the awning doesnt look all that neat or flush against the Cali. I wish i could have both the windout awning but also access to the C channel on the Cali itself as its much longer and higher. :happy

Post #8 shows a figure of 8 strip attached to the DRive away awning clipped to the Wind out awning and explains how to fit, very very simple
I mean how are actually attaching the strip to the van? The wind out awning I have has the groove up inside but find it’s often just slightly on low side.

Craig , you will need three lengths of figure of 8
1) slide them onto the drive away awning Kador strip.
2) open the wind out awning by an inch or so
3) use the figure of 8 strip to clip over the edge of the wind out awning front panel, the figure of 8 strip is the correct size to grip the edge of the front panel.
4) close the wind out awning so the figure of 8 strip is clamped between the front panel on the main housing.

This will gain you the height of the wind out awning casing because the Kador strip is held above the top edge of the wind out awning front panel.

The photo I took post #8 shows the figure of 8 strips fitted to the Kador and slotted over the wind out awning front panel ( photo taken inside the porch of the drive away awning, you can see the additional hight this method provides.

Last edited:
Most drive away awnings have a "tube"which you csn push a pole though. Pass this over the top of the roll out awning and secure with bungies. So much simpler.

I mean how are actually attaching the strip to the van? The wind out awning I have has the groove up inside but find it’s often just slightly on low side.

Hi Craig. Yeah @Perfectos explains the method perfectly (certainly better than I could) in his posts above. Hope this makes sense...

so is this better than simply attaching the figure of eight strip drive kit?

so is this better than simply attaching the figure of eight strip drive kit?
My best advise would be try it and see if you think it’s better.
if you think it’s better, it is !
if you don’t think it’s better, it isn’t !

Craig , you will need three lengths of figure of 8
1) slide them onto the drive away awning Kador strip.
2) open the wind out awning by an inch or so
3) use the figure of 8 strip to clip over the edge of the wind out awning front panel, the figure of 8 strip is the correct size to grip the edge of the front panel.
4) close the wind out awning so the figure of 8 strip is clamped between the front panel on the main housing.

This will gain you the height of the wind out awning casing because the Kador strip is held above the top edge of the wind out awning front panel.

The photo I took post #8 shows the figure of 8 strips fitted to the Kador and slotted over the wind out awning front panel ( photo taken inside the porch of the drive away awning, you can see the additional hight this method provides.
Hi This looks good for me - Seems I can order 4-6mm or 6-6mm figure of 8 strip, what sized did you use for the side that attaches to the top of the wind out housing panel?

4 x 6mm the club shop does a kit
Found this post as looking to attach my drive awning to top part of my wind out Thule awning. As using the channel on the lower part of the awning is too low and the awning rubs on the top of the sliding door when opening and closing. I cannot find the 4 x 6mm figure of 8 strips after searching, does anyone have a link to help please.

Found this post as looking to attach my drive awning to top part of my wind out Thule awning. As using the channel on the lower part of the awning is too low and the awning rubs on the top of the sliding door when opening and closing. I cannot find the 4 x 6mm figure of 8 strips after searching, does anyone have a link to help please.
Here you go

Hi @Perfectos, I think the idea is a brilliant one - as we also have issues occasionally with the door rubbing the figure-of-8. when the van‘s on ramps it’s even worse. There might be a little confusion here, as @blackberrycali says, I don’t see a 4mm/6mm figure-of-8 channel in the shop. The channels all appear to be 6mm/6mm. I wonder, did you mean the 6mm channel clips over the top edge of the wind out awning cover and stays put when tensioned? I’ve just looked at the fit, and it seems fine. See photo below.

BTW - might be late to the party, but I’ve found if you slot in a 4mm kador strip plus a 6mm strip into the channel rail on the near side of the van, this holds firm so you can attach an awning (like the Outwell Fallcrest) via fig-of-8 channels. We wanted to do that last trip, to create a ‘dry zone’ whilst cooking outside (and not wanting to get the wind out sun shade soaking).

3F635B9E-56C7-4C62-A73F-BB42BD3F4153.jpeg

Hi @Perfectos, I think the idea is a brilliant one - as we also have issues occasionally with the door rubbing the figure-of-8. when the van‘s on ramps it’s even worse. There might be a little confusion here, as @blackberrycali says, I don’t see a 4mm/6mm figure-of-8 channel in the shop. The channels all appear to be 6mm/6mm. I wonder, did you mean the 6mm channel clips over the top edge of the wind out awning cover and stays put when tensioned? I’ve just looked at the fit, and it seems fine. See photo below.

BTW - might be late to the party, but I’ve found if you slot in a 4mm kador strip plus a 6mm strip into the channel rail on the near side of the van, this holds firm so you can attach an awning (like the Outwell Fallcrest) via fig-of-8 channels. We wanted to do that last trip, to create a ‘dry zone’ whilst cooking outside (and not wanting to get the wind out sun shade soaking).

View attachment 99592
Ok thanks for that. I think that was the confusion, for the life of me I could not find a 4mm x 6mm figure of 8, but looks like 6mm x 6mm will do that job so will give that a go. I will probably add a strip of clear protection tape along the top of the awning housing so the figure of 8 won't rub or scratch paint off the awning housing.

Back