Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning for winter use

Tanya Gander

Tanya Gander

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We are looking for an awning to use in winter. Mainly to hang wet coats and store wellies in,alomg with a dog crate. Not likely to be sleeping in it.
We are pretty hardy and dont mind a storm or two, but wonder whether any awnings are really up to the job.

Any pointers?

We are looking for an awning to use in winter. Mainly to hang wet coats and store wellies in,alomg with a dog crate. Not likely to be sleeping in it.
We are pretty hardy and dont mind a storm or two, but wonder whether any awnings are really up to the job.

Any pointers?
Have a look at the Vango KelaScreen Shot 2017-10-29 at 17.01.56.png

It doesnt seem too robust, have read some reviews that were not complimentary
I am thinking of the Outwell country road...

An awful review of Country road on amazon....only one persons opinion mind....

It survived a mistral at Ventoux but you need to get what you think is best.

We have the Kela III for a year-long tour. It seems very robust and completely up to the job. It has survived several storms and we have never yet used all the guys.

Using it with the wind out awning fully extended gives a massive living space, including a covered outdoor area between van and tent.

With practise, it takes ~2 minutes to disconnect and drive away, and ~2 minutes to reconnect. ~10 minutes to put up and ~10 minutes to pack away. I lay a long bicycle cable lock, used for locking all four bicycles to the bicycle rack, parallel to the van and between the wheels before driving away so I can park back in the same position. However, the tent is very tolerant to poor positioning on return.

If it was stolen, we'd replace it with the same, or a newer model.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have a Vango Galli which we have found to be extremely well made and very robust. They have thought of nearly everything and it is a brilliant design. When up it is very rigid and provides a very nice space in which to eat, sleep, play and entertain. It is made of top quality materials and is very easy to put up and take down. Our only slight criticisms are firstly that it is a tad bulky and rather heavy when packed up. It's also very expensive but if you want quality you have to pay for it.

Last edited:
I am thinking of the Outwell country road...

We have the Outwell Country Road. Not had it exposed to significant wind speeds; however, always had Outwell tents before we got the Cali and that stood up to some tough conditions. Country road is as well made and I reckon would be as solid in tough conditions.

To be honest, I don't think there is much between the Outwell and Vango drive-aways.

We have a Vango Kela. Never had any problems and its easy enough to put up when you get to your site.

… I lay a long bicycle cable lock, used for locking all four bicycles to the bicycle rack, parallel to the van and between the wheels before driving away so I can park back in the same position.

I got a tip. Just set a peg aligned to the centre of the front and rear wheel. Then it easy re-align. (and you don't risk losing your lock).

We just got a Kampa Travel Pod Motion Air VW 2017.

Not to heavy and quite compact to store. Inflatable soo not so fragile to gusts. Easy to set up and take down and full of points where you can secure it. And loads of windows and openings, mosquito nets, etc.

Very happy with it so far ;-)

IMG_5958.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

I got a tip. Just set a peg aligned to the centre of the front and rear wheel. Then it easy re-align. (and you don't risk losing your lock).

That's what I do. Although, I use a guy rope for a clearer visible cue particularly reversing at night.

Lots of food for thought, thank you. As you say, you need to pay for quality. We will read a bit more before making a final decision,but the Vango Kela sounds good.

If you have the space and a wind out awning. Wind it out enough to clear the drivers door (if you want to use it, and connect the driveaway to the wound out awning. That way you just have to return straight and don’t need to worry about distance as winding the awning when you get back will sort out the “tunnel” tension.

Also creates a nice airy space between van & awning. I use good quality shower curtains as side panels/curtains for privacy at night and then tie them back in the day.

Remember if you’re going to use the diesel aux heater, don’t connect a driveaway awning right up to the van as the tunnel will fill with the fumes.

Back