Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning in bad weather..

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
would it be better to battern down the hatches on the drive away awning or leave it attached?

Last edited:
It's probably not worth decamping the awning unless it's really high winds. If you are attached to the van awning rail and the awning extension isn't taught, you'll find that it'll probably build up with water. Shouldn't be a damage risk but careful when you clear it in the morning. We had some nasty rain last year and our awning that was attached with a kador leaked between the kador section joins, it was probably how I had fitted them but it went into the porch bit between the van and the awning. Tough it out, at worst you'll have some wet kit to tidy away.

Thanks, just been out and fully closed the awning etc. Still attached to van but it has all the storm straps firmly pegged and as many guys as pos.

The unfortunate thing was this was the first pitch of it and the connected part to the van leaves a lot to be desired and is a bit flappy on the side. A bit noisy as it occasionally taps the van but fairly happy it’s not going anywhere.

We had some nasty rain last year and our awning that was attached with a kador leaked between the kador section joins, it was probably how I had fitted them but it went into the porch bit between the van and the awning.
With the kador and 3 figure of eights, some water ingress to the porch is inevitable in rain. The best you can do is manage where along the join it drips.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back