Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning not flush

gareth230380

gareth230380

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi

we have a Vango drive away awning connected by the figure of 8 kit.

What do others do about the gap at the top between the van and awning (see picture attached).

thanksED839BF6-4C0F-46D5-8593-F2427683A81C.jpeg

Hi

What do others do about the gap at the top between the van and awning (see picture attached).

thanksView attachment 64659
I don’t bother too much about the gap. See pic below; this gives better access and a larger covered area. Stake out the wind out awning and it’s very stable.

Hi

If the awning was tight to the van it would rub on the panel and potentially cause damage when th3 awning moves (as it should do) in the wind, pegging the bottom, near the front wheel, close to the van will ensure a tighter fit, sliding the awning to the end of the wind out will help close up the visual gap the sliding door, If the weather is good I set mine up away from the van and use the wind out to extend the living space by a couple of meters, with a couple of tarps either side to close up the openness caused by setting up away from the van (Similar to Jodalo + 2 tarps) In bad weather set up as you have but put the plastic Kador strips on the top edge of the wind out awning flap, then wind the awning back against the casing to secure the plastic strips, this gives better tension to the tunnel and a little more height.

If you forget about the figure of 8 business, just wind the awning out a bit, chuck the edge of the drive away over the top of the wound out bit of awning & wind awning back in trapping everything. brings it all in nice & tight & far simpler to connect / disconnect.

I used a Vango Kela and didn’t have a gap. Was dry inside even with torrential rain and wind. Can’t quite tell from your photo where the issue is, sorry.

Use the figure 8 attachment. But unwind and slacken the rail awning about 1 foot.

Then once the drive away awning is in position, then wind in the rail awning so that you have a good fit.

Drive away awnings do take a few goes to get right for you, so be patient and retry until you have it right.

Also, be prepared to adjust where the driveaway awning is positioned in relation to the main door.

I then use a bit of rope to mark where the wheels should be positioned (approximately) when you do drive away and return.

Use the figure 8 attachment. But unwind and slacken the rail awning about 1 foot.

Then once the drive away awning is in position, then wind in the rail awning so that you have a good fit.

Drive away awnings do take a few goes to get right for you, so be patient and retry until you have it right.

Also, be prepared to adjust where the driveaway awning is positioned in relation to the main door.

I then use a bit of rope to mark where the wheels should be positioned (approximately) when you do drive away and return.
Yes, I always position the awning with open door and then peg the rear first before the front.
For the wheels I used pegs - but 2” away so I didn’t damage the tyres on returning. My pegs have yellow plastic bits on which were easy to see in the dark (fortunately as was doing it on my own).

Hi

For me, why don't you just simply peg out the bottom closer to the front tyre, and then the gap won't be there

That's what we do, wind out about a metre. Then if it's cold, wet or both, or just want a bit of privacy I use good quality shower curtains from the side of the van, attached to the arm close to van2, then attached to the top of the awning leg then the other end attached by a bungee to the loop where the top guyrope ties at the top of the awning "leg". They can be pegged down with tarp clamps.

Sorry no pics on the Cali. Will take some next time we're away. Worked a treat this weekend at Beardy folk festival when it honked it down with rain all Saturday night. Also good as modesty curtains when we want to strip off for a wash or use the porta potti. We only took the outhouse handi awning and it gace us loads more space. Can be tied back when not required

It's good for different sized pitches too as you can wind out to different distances and still be covered at the sides.

Back