Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning size a problem?

C

Calisand

Guest User
I’m considering buying an ‘air’ drive away awning for stays of longer than a few days particularly for use in spring/autumn to provide just a bit more space for dining & storage.

The Vango Kela looks a great piece of kit but it extends 3.7m from van and has a sown in groundsheet. I’m concerned that i would need an extremely wide pitch to accommodate the van and the awning and I’m unsure whether some campsites don’t like sewn in groundsheets.

Vango also have a model called Palm which only extends to 2.75 beyond van and has a detachable ground sheet. It is a lighter fabric than the kela so I guess not as weatherproof or robust but also has a detachable groundsheet. Obviously price points are different but my key concerns relate to how far the awning extends from side of van, weight ( I don’t want anything heavier than Kela) and whether sewn in groundsheet causes problems on some sites.

Any advice/experience on these issues would be appreciated.

I’m considering buying an ‘air’ drive away awning for stays of longer than a few days particularly for use in spring/autumn to provide just a bit more space for dining & storage.

The Vango Kela looks a great piece of kit but it extends 3.7m from van and has a sown in groundsheet. I’m concerned that i would need an extremely wide pitch to accommodate the van and the awning and I’m unsure whether some campsites don’t like sewn in groundsheets.

Vango also have a model called Palm which only extends to 2.75 beyond van and has a detachable ground sheet. It is a lighter fabric than the kela so I guess not as weatherproof or robust but also has a detachable groundsheet. Obviously price points are different but my key concerns relate to how far the awning extends from side of van, weight ( I don’t want anything heavier than Kela) and whether sewn in groundsheet causes problems on some sites.

Any advice/experience on these issues would be appreciated.
Never had any serious issues with our Kela camping in Europe with the Kela pitched more than 250 nights out of 375 days away.

Sometimes we reverse parked across the front of a pitch defined by hedge and had the Kela extending to the rear of the pitch.

Never had any serious issues with our Kela camping in Europe with the Kela pitched more than 250 nights out of 375 days away.

Sometimes we reverse parked across the front of a pitch defined by hedge and had the Kela extending to the rear of the pitch.

Thanks Amarillo. The club shop had such a good deal on Kela 4 I ordered one yesterday.

Back