Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awnings poles or air?

paradise city

paradise city

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all, as it looks like we're not going to venture into mainland Europe this summer I'm thinking of investing in an awning for the cooler climes here in Ireland.

Would anyone have any advice on whether it's best to go for poles or air construction?
Is the increased cost worth it for ease of putting up/taking down?
Is one type more stable in windy conditions than the other?

Currently looking at Vango Tolga or Outdoor Revolution Cayman. If anyone has either of those or wants to recommend something else I'd be interested to hear from you also .

Cheers in advance

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Alan, I've heard good things about Vango gear.

We have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite T4 lowline with air frame. Much easier than poles, but you can't split the poles/canvas for packing so it is a big heavy package to stow in the Beach, and at home.

Something to consider, thanks.

If you haven't used it for some time, trying to put up an awning with poles can be a PITA even when conditions are good. In the dark or bad weather things don't get any better. The pump up awning wins every time under any conditions. Just peg out the footprint ground sheet, unpack the awning and peg down the corners. Then pump it up, peg it down and put the kettle on. Whilst you are sipping your tea your your neighbours will still be fighting with their poles.

We have a Vango Galli Low. We have had dinner parties in it whilst camping during gale force winds. It is rock steady when erected and the quality is superb. However, never bother to connect it to the van as the faffing about doesn't warrant the benefits.

I’ve got a Vango Kela which is pretty good, but we were caught out last year by a tube failure. Thinking of carrying a spare in future.

I’ve got a Vango Kela which is pretty good, but we were caught out last year by a tube failure. Thinking of carrying a spare in future.
I believe you can get repair kits although I don't know how good they are.

Hi, a good compromise is the Khyam systems. It is a framed system (not air) but is relatively quick and easy to put up (have done this many times in pouring rain).

They do quite a few different models depending on if you want side awnings or tailgate awnings for different sized vehicles etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, a good compromise is the Khyam systems. It is a framed system (not air) but is relatively quick and easy to put up (have done this many times in pouring rain).

They do quite a few different models depending on if you want side awnings or tailgate awnings for different sized vehicles etc

I like the Khyam quick erect system too, but it seems the closer pole systems move towards the ease of air systems, the bigger and heavier the bags get. From memory my Khyam bag was bigger and heavier than my equivalent decathlon air frame model.

I like the Khyam quick erect system too, but it seems the closer pole systems move towards the ease of air systems, the bigger and heavier the bags get. From memory my Khyam bag was bigger and heavier than my equivalent decathlon air frame model.

Correct, that is probably the biggest downside of the Khyam. As the awnings are literally pop up framed types the bags are big and quite heavy in comparison to air systems. Having said that I have owned both types and personally still prefer the Khyam on balance and just accept it takes up more room and weight when stored.

I have a slightly different perspective on this thread, which I would like to ask.
As a new Cali owner, but many years of experience with tents, frame tents, trailer tents, caravans and awnings. I always felt I could only justify the time and effort involved and the weight and bulk of whatever you were using based on how long I intended to stay at an individual site
Personally any shorter than say 3 days I really couldn’t be bothered especially as we tended to stay away from the campsite on walks and visits and maybe even eating in pubs.
On the other hand it was obvious on sites that many say caravan owners would religiously put up their massive awnings and associated paraphernalia and stay put for 1 or 2 weeks. Perfectly ok but certainly not what we were looking for
My reasoning for going this time down the camper van route was primarily for flexibility, ease of moving, and for short stays before moving on
So back to the question, how do you feel either of the two solutions match to this, as I would be concerned about the inevitable compromises
Don’t get me wrong, Each to their own and we are not all looking for the same thing, but I am still tempted to stay away from such awnings completely
Although I have just had to concede to necessity of a toilet tent for obvious reasons

I have a slightly different perspective on this thread, which I would like to ask.
As a new Cali owner, but many years of experience with tents, frame tents, trailer tents, caravans and awnings. I always felt I could only justify the time and effort involved and the weight and bulk of whatever you were using based on how long I intended to stay at an individual site
Personally any shorter than say 3 days I really couldn’t be bothered especially as we tended to stay away from the campsite on walks and visits and maybe even eating in pubs.
On the other hand it was obvious on sites that many say caravan owners would religiously put up their massive awnings and associated paraphernalia and stay put for 1 or 2 weeks. Perfectly ok but certainly not what we were looking for
My reasoning for going this time down the camper van route was primarily for flexibility, ease of moving, and for short stays before moving on
So back to the question, how do you feel either of the two solutions match to this, as I would be concerned about the inevitable compromises
Don’t get me wrong, Each to their own and we are not all looking for the same thing, but I am still tempted to stay away from such awnings completely
Although I have just had to concede to necessity of a toilet tent for obvious reasons
Oh I fully agree with this. All awnings are the work of devil. If you can structure your trip and life to avoid one, then do!

There is no doubt that whichever awning you have, it makes the whole camping experience with a California less spontaneous and less enjoyable in that it's always a faff putting it up and taking it down. They are also bulky and heavy so eat into the available pay load space in your van. Then there's the inevitable packing up in rain experience and often the following re-erection process to dry the wretched thing out. Accordingly we only use ours when absolutely necessary. The rest of the time we either don't need one or use our Comfortz awning room (subject to the weather being suitable). That takes up no space and is quick and easy to deploy and pack away.
However, when we do take our awning we usually either stay at Cali Club meets where we use our Vango Galli Low Airbeam to entertain in or use it when we go camping with our family. On those occasions the airbeam is quick to erect and reasonably quick to put away in the rain. It is a superb space for lots of bods to meet in which makes it worth the effort of taken it, which we usually do in our trailer.

One thing I have learnt is that when it comes to packing up the awning it's always raining.

I've had a Vango Kella IV then a Vango AirHub Hexaway and now I have the Kyham Dubhub XL.
I love the look of the Hexaway but I am currently very happy with the Khyam Dubhub XL. I find it easier to put up and take down compared to the Vango air types I've owned and it gives a great space.
In terms of size of package the Hexaway was slightly shorter than the Kyham but much fatter.
They're both quite heavy.
I too agree that awnings are a real pain and I only use it when on a longer than weekend trips.
I also have the Comfort awning room sides which provides additional shelter and a small amount of extra space when required.

Hi guys. I’ve had a look at the comfort awning room and also the Vango air types.
Especially the comfort does not look well suited to blustery or windy conditions, how is your experience.
Another question, given that in the uk windy conditions can blow up anytime do you always retract your awning at night or say leaving the site for the day
3rd question is the clear big difference between these options and a Straight forward non connected frame or air type tent is whether connected to the van or not.
Is that connectedness worth the trouble? Ie when wanting to drive away etc
I can see the point of extra space for longer stays but want to understand the experience with the differing options
Thanks

My shelter of choice isn't connected. You may find a rare site that doesn't allow this arrangement, sometimes for spite but sometimes their planning permission doesn't allow for tents. Very rare though.

Hi guys. I’ve had a look at the comfort awning room and also the Vango air types.
Especially the comfort does not look well suited to blustery or windy conditions, how is your experience.
Another question, given that in the uk windy conditions can blow up anytime do you always retract your awning at night or say leaving the site for the day
3rd question is the clear big difference between these options and a Straight forward non connected frame or air type tent is whether connected to the van or not.
Is that connectedness worth the trouble? Ie when wanting to drive away etc
I can see the point of extra space for longer stays but want to understand the experience with the differing options
Thanks
If there are strong winds forecast then wind the awning in. Always, always tie it down. A sudden gust can cause expensive damage.

Personally, I never connect our awning. We sleep in the van and eat and entertain in the awning. Why do they need to be connected especially considering all the fiddling to join and un-join?

We are thinking along the same lines, so we just ordered a Cinch pop up tent as a toilet/store area. We can also use it on the beach as its so versatile! Well we have yet to find out.

I have come from a lifetime of loving camping and moved to campervanning.
Love the canvas roof area that still allows for zips and the smells and sounds that would be experienced in a tent.
As to awning. I looked long and hard about whether to have a drive away awning or not, but was disappointed generally at the quality compared with tents.
I then found Vango air. It has storm straps included ( not many do, they ask to have storm straps externally fitted after pitching, more faff). I bought a Palm, which is small but was brilliant. It has a removeable groundsheet, lots of campsites now want you to lift the ground sheet too often for my liking. It is also not going to get damaged on gravel.
I have pitched it for 2 nights, less than 15mins to put up, and about 20 to take down.
I also have a toilet/ shower tent for short stays, should the facilities be a bit 'iffy' or non existant.
The wind out awning, I was afraid to use after reading many posts on here and other places. Any wind, any rain, that advice was don't use or take it in.
Last year, my first full year with my cali, I rarely had weather I could use it. And so being a camper, I now peg it down well, have simple storm staps, and put one corner down to drain it, and all but gails, have found it absolutely fine for overnights.
I am totally independant like this and love it. In reasonable weather I only use the toilet tent and it is great, but last year I rarely had reasonable weather.

We visited NorwichCamping.co.uk. They also have everything on display at their camping centre so we could look at all they stock.
Looking for something straight forward, we chose the Vango Faros Low.
Even for the inexperienced it is quick and easy to put up with the 2 external poles and a bracing bar.
IOWvan.png

We visited NorwichCamping.co.uk. They also have everything on display at their camping centre so we could look at all they stock.
Looking for something straight forward, we chose the Vango Faros Low.
Even for the inexperienced it is quick and easy to put up with the 2 external poles and a bracing bar.
View attachment 60414
Looks good.

I was in Decathlon the other day and this one caught my eye. Seems to be great value at £199. There isn't a way to directly attach it to your van though, maybe it could be adapted later by sewing in a strip for connection.
Anyone have any experience with the Quecha range of tents?

My experience with Decathlon in general is very positive, I think their sports equipment and clothing are really good quality and value.
74c60b28d265484ae87a601b5cbb7023.jpg

I was in Decathlon the other day and this one caught my eye. Seems to be great value at £199. There isn't a way to directly attach it to your van though, maybe it could be adapted later by sewing in a strip for connection.

My experience with Decathlon in general is very positive, I think their sports equipment and clothing are really good quality and value.

Quecha are good quality tents in my opinion. Had a 2 man pop up Quecha for about 5 years now and still going strong.

We have our eye on that one too, not least because it matches the two-tone paint on our (on order) Cali!

Back